Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Subject-specific thread: NO to direct.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
vote

What do you think is the acceptable level of percentage in favour for Nominet to push it through? e.g. if its 50% in favour does that justify it being rammed through? My thoughts are ~90% in favour to justify it becoming a reality, that is it has to be overwhelmingly accepted by the community to proceed.

does it not make a huge difference on how they contact stakeholders including all uk registrant and what Nominet tell them

although in normal situations it is the number of votes - it is usually a clear 2 or more alternatives

here it will be a vote to say you can have .uk based on our proposal but we will just change a few things depending on the feedback but sorry we cannot tell you what the changes will be before you vote!

does it not make a huge difference on how they contact stakeholders including all uk registrant and what Nominet tell them

Yes. Did I say otherwise?

Nominet only emailed registrars over V1 consult, so the outcome will be skewed to that sector.

Nominet only emailed registrars over V1 consult, so the outcome will be skewed to that sector.

I don't think from memory they did even that mate. I think they only emailed those who were registered for the Nom Announce mailing lists. A lot of registrars still have no clue about all this.

would a vote be of all eligible stakeholders?

No you did not.

Your original post, I was commenting on was:

What do you think is the acceptable level of percentage in favour for Nominet to push it through? e.g. if its 50% in favour does that justify it being rammed through? My thoughts are ~90% in favour to justify it becoming a reality, that is it has to be overwhelmingly accepted by the community to proceed.

I was simply trying to add a comment on it is a % of those that actually vote
and people will not vote if they don't know about it,
if Nominet does not tell the wider UK stakeholder community (registrants in particular) it will be a skewed vote,
which therefore would not fully represent the views of the UK namespace stakeholders.

As for V1, Nominet did not originally contact all UK registrars about the consultation process it was only those registrars on the nom-annouce list and they never provided that number despite being requested for it several times.

Nominet did hold a Registrar meeting on 21st November 2012 which was before the end of the consultation where the matter of direct.uk was discussed.

Regarding V2 detail, it will be interesting to see if Nominet frame it as a vote for or againist .uk.

Last edited:
@GreyWing Yep, I think your right.

@Stephen Sorry for be snappy.

She didn't phrase it like that, I did in my tweet to her. However, she said that from memory, the question would be 1a on the questionnaire.

One hopes it doesn't mention or label it as "direct.uk" or "Direct UK" as that was just a marketing tactic in the V1 consult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom