Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Survey indicates .eu domain set to rival .com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
more pre reg sales hype? i thought .cc was the new .com ;-)

A survey from Hostway has found that the new .eu domain name is set to be as big as .com. According to the survey, nearly two thirds of businesses (64%) feel that the new domain name will be important to their business operations in Europe. The majority of respondents (60%) believed that customers will eventually use .eu rather than .com when looking for companies based in the European Union. The new domain name is intended for residents and organisations within the European Community, and registration opens later this year. The .eu domain name is available to all of the twenty five nations, and 450 million people that make up the European community. Hostway conducted the survey with 200 of its business customers.

http://uk.webhostdir.com/news/articles/shownews.asp?id=13584

I think Companies that operate at the European level will be scrabbling to get theirs registered. I think the usual UK business that does nothing outside the UK will be ignorant that .EU is even coming along

Considering most businesses presumably detest a europe state but are still willing to do business with those over the water and around the world may get off their bum and register 'their' domain name, like I will possibly but I'm in no rush but I just can't see eu being popular to people in Britain, maybe to those fully in love with europe across the water.

It's a business move, but as to browsers in the UK selecting .eu when searching... nah just can't see it. But then .eu will have european union advertising it no doubt, one of their "you vill comply" methods.

See some guy (I presume guy but not being sexist) in Austria has bought (placed deposits) on more than 10 seperate registrars with the eurid . I guess that will mean that he will have 10 plus lists all loaded with the best names for his cousins in xyz Countries. Should be be very interesting and a shame about all the paperwork involved but there ya go.

DG

Eurid is sexist. Becuase .eu domains shold be open to ALL European countries not only to EU.

wasistdas said:
Eurid is sexist. Becuase .eu domains shold be open to ALL European countries not only to EU.

Yep got to agree with that. Mind you it wont be too long b4 all of europe is one large union .
DG

I agree with Lee - can't see .eu ever being big in the UK. Most British people detest the EU and over half would leave given the chance. So it is hard to see the value in English language .eu domains apart from some very special single word generics i.e. holidays.eu , flights.eu etc. It is possible that .eu will catch on in France, Germany, Italy but trying to pick some good ones will need a good knowledge of French, German, Italian etc and the local market and even then the national codes i.e. .de and .fr will almost certainly be the more dominant, until of course the EU becomes a single sovereign state with it's own army, parliament, anthem, laws, citizenship (hang on that's already happened!)just one more thing to make .eu a real success - a single language perhaps 'frandeutesitalia' - mind you, you may have paid a few renewal fees by then and Britain will have left long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom