Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Tag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a TAG for my ever-growing list of names, I was just wondering if there was any restriction on what the TAG could be?

I've looked all over the Nominet website and cannot find anything. Obviously trademarks/profanity will be restricted. I'm more specifically interested in char limits.

Also I emailed a friend at Nominet who was meant to be asking a higher up, but is yet to get back to me so I'm asking here.

Yeah - usually granted if relates to business name or personal name. When you apply, they'll review your TAG name request.

When I got my TAGs you're only allowed to use forms (3 chars or over) of the name or business name registered with Nominet as the primary on the registrar account, nothing else.

Eg, if your registrar account was owned by John Doe then you could have JOHN, JOHND, DOE etc as your TAGs but nothing else. Similarly with business names.

Thanks.

Additionally is it possible to make changes to the TAG once it's set up + I'm guessing if you where wanting a TAG for each individual online company you would have to buy a TAG each time?

I think I'm going to buy the membership too, so that I can get my names cheaper at £5.

Thanks.

Additionally is it possible to make changes to the TAG once it's set up + I'm guessing if you where wanting a TAG for each individual online company you would have to buy a TAG each time?

I think I'm going to buy the membership too, so that I can get my names cheaper at £5.
You can't change a TAG name. You can have multiple TAGs as long as you can justify them - and again, Nominet will ask you why you want them. They are free as long as they relate to the same membership account.

If you want a tag different to your business name you could add a trading name and request the tag to be that (e.g. apply as "Jack G t/a Domainer" and request the tag "Domainer").

When I recently applied for a second tag I wanted a four letter one but was told the minimum is five. Have definitely seen shorter than this though, so you may still be able to get shorter ones I'm not sure. :)

If you want a tag different to your business name you could add a trading name and request the tag to be that (e.g. apply as "Jack G t/a Domainer" and request the tag "Domainer").

When I recently applied for a second tag I wanted a four letter one but was told the minimum is five. Have definitely seen shorter than this though, so you may still be able to get shorter ones I'm not sure. :)

True, I'll probably put that question to the higher-up when I get a response.

The only logical reason I can think of as to why they would not let people have two letters is due to the fact that the majority of big companies have trademarks i.e MS = Morgan Stanley / HP = Hewlett-Packard and perhaps it would be much easier to reserve these short tags then go through the legal procedures.

If my theory is true, then I guess it's pretty much like the sunrise period (Without the time limit) where companies with trademarks can register their rights to a TAG if they feel obliged todo so.

At the end of the day, I would prefer my TAG to have my initials. As I say, I will await a response from this chap and update this thread with his answer.

-JG

My TAG is LBE although when I asked for it they did say that there used to be a problem with short tags on some of their systems, but that was "probably" no longer an issue. I've had it for about 3 years now and not had any issues with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom