20i Domains

Update on Fasthosts/Nominet domain transfers

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by DomainAngel, Sep 18, 2020.

1. super-whois United Kingdom

super-whois Active Member

Wasn't Charlie first to dip their hand?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Lets clear something up very quickly and easily

You admit in your first post you believe they're the legal registrant? now your angle switches to something different, interesting

.co.uk registrants had until 25th June 2019 to register their corresponding .uk and the .uk could only be registered to .co.uk registrant

The .uk domains were registered on 11/12th

Do you know for a fact any .uks registered on that date weren't claimed by the registrant themselves?

If fasthosts registered .uk domains to the .co.uk registrant without their consent that is a matter for the registrant, registrar and registry to sort out

At no stage did fasthosts gain any rights to these domains or any right to transfer them to a third party.. but sorry I'm stating the obvious, you're a registrar who signed a registrar agreement so you know all too well.

4. DJ Wood United Kingdom

DJ Wood Active Member

I know I may be a little bias here as I have had past dealings with Ant @DomainAngel (although I do not know him personally) and from those dealings I have always found him to be honest, helpful and generally a really nice guy.

I was wondering, would we have actually known about this loophole if he didn't reveal it? I agree that probably registering 10 was a bit too far and I am sure he regrets this in hindsight. But, if it wasn't for him, would we really know what was going on, would there be a second chance to catch these domains?

I think he deserves a little credit for this and for standing up and openly saying he done it. Anyone of us could have done it after it was revealed, I know a was tempted to try and do it with soph.uk as I wanted it for my daughter, but in the end I didn't as it didn't feel right after reading the comments from the likes of @Murray . If I had discovered this myself and no one knew about it already, maybe I would have come to a different conclusion and though f*** it, it's worth the risk.

I am in no way saying he deserves a pat on the back but maybe we are attacking the messenger a bit too much here.

Have a great weekend all, it might be the last one before we are allowed out again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  5. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

You're entitled to feel how you want about it and I respect that and cannot disagree

I personally think threatening legal action against someone for saying what you did was wrong, when you did something wrong, would more suit "attacking the messenger".

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DJ Wood United Kingdom

DJ Wood Active Member

TBH, I wasn't really taking that into account as I felt that that was a matter between you and him. As I think I said at the time, I really hoped the two of you could resolve it amicably, as a lot of what was said at the time was in the heat of the situation. From memory there was a lot of grey area in Fasthosts terms some of which contradicted Nominets and not being a registrar myself, I couldn't and can't really comment on this - I am viewing this purely from an end users point of view.

I posted something similar on the other thread about @Siusaidh and her apparent purchase of Charlie. That if I had registered a domain in this way and got re-assurances at the time from fasthosts that everything was fine (prior to any comments about the rights and wrongs from more experienced members on here), I probably would have thought that I had done nothing wrong and maybe even self indulgingly patted myself on the back for getting the domain. However, having then seen all of the comments, the uproar it caused and also recognising the fact Nominet decided to withdraw the registration, I would have certainly held my hands up and said sorry, I really thought what I was doing was right, but obviously I was misinformed by fasthosts.

The situation between the two of you is way above my paygrade and you both have far more experience than I do. That being said, I have had the pleasure to deal with you both and hopefully we/you/Ant/ @Siusaidh can put this down to experience and move on from it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Last Sunday I privately messaged him and offered to remove my posts, not because I did anything wrong but as a personal courtesy to deescalate the situation; I could talk about the topic of domain hijacking without referring to them directly

He saw my message the same day and replied but didn't mention me removing the posts, so I didn't

In the first post of this thread

Was the request to remove the other thread? why ask @Admin to remove the thread when I already offered to remove my posts and he ignored it

How can you claim you're bothered by posts but when they were offered to be removed you don't take it?

He started this thread to invite further discussion and opinions on his actions. odd.

• Informative Informative x 1