Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Whois Opt Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Been emailed by Nominet indicating that are are going to remove the opt out status on any domains I have parked with SEDO.

Have had this happen with single domains before and was told it was because a 3rd party had requested Nominet remove the opt out status.

Anyone else been contacted by Nominet about having opt out status removed on all their domains ?

Mark.

Anyone else been contacted by Nominet about having opt out status removed on all their domains ?

It happens when domainers get bored it seems - then you get masses of reg change notifications.

Indeed, there is some freak show out there who takes the time to moan to Nominet about it - too much time on their hands........

Grant

Indeed, there is some freak show out there who takes the time to moan to Nominet about it - too much time on their hands........

Grant

The fact of the matter is if you park, you shouldn't be opting out. Other "domainers" accept the rules, so why cannot you? If you want to use your registrations commercially, the rules require you to display an address in the WHOIS. If you're a responsible "domainer" then that is what you should be doing.

You guys that put it down to someone "grassing" you up ignore the fact that the WHOIS opt-out isn't there for your use. It was introduced several years ago for those registrants that weren't using their domain name on a commercial basis. I'd encourage Nominet to scan their zone files for all references to commonly known parking name servers and opt-in all the domain names utilising them.

If you are using your domain name for PPC, please play by the rules rather than whining when you're found to be abusing facilities that were not introduced for your use. Maybe that'll go someway to improving the overall reputation that many "domainers" complain about. :mrgreen:

Many part time domainers like myself register domains to their home address which I don't particularly want plastering over the Internet.

I can't think of any other situations when purchasing as a private individual would require me to put my home address details for all to see on the Internet.

I don't see who it actually benefits having an individuals address details displayed against a domain, if someone has an issue with a domain then they only need contact Nominet for this info.

Many part time domainers like myself register domains to their home address which I don't particularly want plastering over the Internet.

If you don't want your home address "plastered all over the Internet", don't register domain names to your home address if you want to point them to PPC or any other business use. :mrgreen:

I can't think of any other situations when purchasing as a private individual would require me to put my home address details for all to see on the Internet.

If you register a domain name as an IND then you are fully entitled to opt-out if you are making non commercial use of the domain name. PPC is clearly a commercial use.

I don't see who it actually benefits having an individuals address details displayed against a domain, if someone has an issue with a domain then they only need contact Nominet for this info.

Nominet won't generally release the address of a domain registrant who has genuinely opted out except under certain circumstances. If you are supplying commercial advertising via your domain registrations, Nominet consider that you do not have a right to withhold an address. I personally agree and feel that the proprietor of a commercial web site should be contactable by post.

If you dislike using your home address, obtain an alternative. I don't think that this is unreasonable nor difficult, particularly for those that are making significant sums of money.

I get people emailing me at whois-search saying "remove my whois details" or "how dare you show my address" lol

Maybe its time one of the large registrars like Domain name registration from 123-reg offered a free Whois Protection service?

So:

Registrant:
Andrew Bennett

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Registrant's address:
c/o 123-reg.co.uk
Portland Street
Beeston
Nottingham
NG9 2LP
United Kingdom

However I don't think it would work for Individual's as their might be another Andrew Bennett .....? Need some kind of identifier.

Also see: http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/nominet-general-information/7859-uk-whois-protection.html

I get people emailing me at whois-search saying "remove my whois details" or "how dare you show my address" lol

Maybe its time one of the large registrars like Domain name registration from 123-reg offered a free Whois Protection service?

So:

Registrant:
Andrew Bennett

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Registrant's address:
c/o 123-reg.co.uk
Portland Street
Beeston
Nottingham
NG9 2LP
United Kingdom

However I don't think it would work for Individual's as their might be another Andrew Bennett .....? Need some kind of identifier.

Also see: http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/nominet-general-information/7859-uk-whois-protection.html

:mrgreen:

I believe some tag holders allow their registrants to utilise their address in a c/o (care of) manner. Not sure which ones, though. This cannot apply to the Registrant field though.

Am I missing something?

Ive got upwards of 50 domains registered on made-up addresses.

Whats the problem?

Am I missing something?

Whats the problem?

You'd potentially loose a DRS due to invalid contact details. People with domain names of any significant value wouldn't risk that.

You'd potentially loose a DRS due to invalid contact details. People with domain names of any significant value wouldn't risk that.

Not a chance.

They email, I change details. I email, ask for them to be resent.

They didnt bat an eyelid last time.

It should be pointed out that the addresses are for those domains that you dont want to be associated with.

Last edited:
Not a chance.

They email, I change details. I email, ask for them to be resent.

They didnt bat an eyelid last time.

It should be pointed out that the addresses are for those domains that you dont want to be associated with.

Invincible is spot on - "factors which may be evidence that the Domain Name is an Abusive Registration..."

DRS Policy 3 a iv. "It is independently verified that the Respondent has given false contact details to us"

So that alone could be reason to lose a domain - certainly if there was another factor it could be clincher. Not a good idea.

Nominet can also cancel your name if:

16.1 we receive independent proof that you have provided significantly inaccurate, not correct, unreliable or false contact details (including names), failed to keep your contact details up to date, or failed to give us those details at all;

Terms and Conditions

Also if you were to transfer the name to your correct address how do you get round:

Confirmatory Letter

"independent proof" I have no idea where that will come from.

Also if you were to transfer the name to your correct address how do you get round:

Confirmatory Letter

You dont need to complete this for an address change.

Am I missing something?

Whats the problem?

This is a very serious issue to us. We will be contacting you privately to discuss this.

I strongly recommend that nobody else does this.

possibly you admitting so on a public forum? :)

They have to be found first.

I could of course be spinning a yarn.

Or not? ;)

And thats my point. If you have domains that

a) you know you dont stand a hope of keeping if someone envokes the 1 sided DRS
or
b) you cannot sell, as others may be too wary of the DRS

Then what can be done to stop you registering with a false name and/or address? - Nothing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom