Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

WIldcard vs Subdomain

dee

Reaction score
Hi all,

Question for the DNS boffins here please. If i set up a load of A records for subdomains to point to say. sub1.domain.co.uk, sub2.domain.co.uk AND i have a wildcard *.domain.co.uk
does the wildcard trump the subdomain in terms of redirect. SO if i want the subdomains to point to a different place, do i need to get rid of the wildcard if that goes elsewhere ?

Hope that makes sense !

@dee, to improve the answer above: If you have both set, the wildcard will handle any requests that don't match the specific subdomains.

this should explain it better :)
It does. Thank you. So essentially the wildcard will still act as a catchall for any unspecified subdomains set up as A records. Perfect ! Thanks

It does. Thank you. So essentially the wildcard will still act as a catchall for any unspecified subdomains set up as A records. Perfect ! Thanks
Yep, you can use this terminology as well! The wildcard acts as a safety net, a catch-all for any subdomains you haven't explicitly defined with a specific A record.

All the success!

Yep, you can use this terminology as well! The wildcard acts as a safety net, a catch-all for any subdomains you haven't explicitly defined with a specific A record.

All the success!
Thanks. Just as a thought I checked for best place to put this but couldnt find releavant section really(unless im blind, which is possible) . Is it worth starting a DNS questions /Technical questions section ?

Thanks. Just as a thought I checked for best place to put this but couldnt find releavant section really(unless im blind, which is possible) . Is it worth starting a DNS questions /Technical questions section ?

:) you can always ask these here. .. or, in website design category..

Days till Domain Summit

Days

Hours

Minutes

Seconds

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom