Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Leased subdomains question

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge in leasing subdomains, anything to consider, and Nominet's view on it - I'm getting a bit lost in all the Nominet documentation! It appears to be allowed provided I'm not 'selling' a subdomain outright.

The idea would be owning a certain domain, and leasing out subdomains of it on a monthly basis. A conceptual example (it's not one of these domains) would be owning forsale.uk or company.uk and leasing:

cars.forsale.uk
clothes.forsale.uk
houses.forsale.uk
etc...

or

plumbing.company.uk
building.company.uk
security.company.uk
etc...

The idea would be that the snappy subdomain could be used in marketing (e.g. in advertising, on the side of a company''s van, or somewhere where it may be easier to remember something shorter - security.company.uk vs johnsmithssecurityservicesltd.co.uk), or 'lease' a package to comapnies that don't currently have much online prescence / a website / want a revamp. Build and host a basic website for them including the snappy domain for a fixed monthly price (e.g. £50/75/100 a month depending on the subdomain and web requirements).

Alternatively, the snapy subdomain could point to their existing website, but again, be used in advertising etc...

Does anyone have any (constructive :p) thoughts or considerations, or reasons why it wouldn't work?

Appreciate anything!

Thanks in advance,

William

This idea would only be as good as the domain name. I imagine it would have to be a real belter to gain traction.

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge in leasing subdomains, anything to consider, and Nominet's view on it - I'm getting a bit lost in all the Nominet documentation! It appears to be allowed provided I'm not 'selling' a subdomain outright.

Why not ask Nominet directly? That's the first hurdle to clear. Then if you get the green light, there's no reason why it wouldn't work on suitable names.

Thanks all! That's really helpful, plus hadn't seen IT.com's setup - it's interesting!

Contacted Nominet and they said no issues. So hopefully watch this space... :D

Thanks all! That's really helpful, plus hadn't seen IT.com's setup - it's interesting!

Contacted Nominet and they said no issues. So hopefully watch this space... :D

Be really interesting to hear how your plans develop. Good luck!

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom