Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

does a 301 run out of juice.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
one of my competitors took their main site down to my delight and just 301'd to sub page of their larger site. I'm number 2 for the original site search term and waiting for G to slap this 301'd bitch down for the last 6 months but to no avail :)

So wtf's going on seo guys - is this baby going to get penalized ever, or is it just carrying so much juice it doesn't even need a 'site' any more.

Why would it?? Nothing wrong with a 301. Only reason I could see they'd suffer would be if the content of the page they're pointing to is not as good as the one they had originally??

one of my competitors took their main site down to my delight and just 301'd to sub page of their larger site. I'm number 2 for the original site search term and waiting for G to slap this 301'd bitch down for the last 6 months but to no avail :)

So wtf's going on seo guys - is this baby going to get penalized ever, or is it just carrying so much juice it doesn't even need a 'site' any more.

you are misunderstanding what a 301 is. There is no reason for it to get penalized - it's permanently redirected.

So your telling me that all things considered that a 301 redirect to an 'after thought' sub page of another website carries the same weight and authority as the previous fully indexed functioning website, with mountains of history for that search term?

G's serving up a sub-optimal content to users by sending them to a redirect, if this is the case it would be going completely against G's quality principles?

Personally I'm not convinced about 301's, I guess someone is now going to point me to a Cutts vid with him saying its all fine and dandy to bin users off using redirects.

It used to be that a 301 carried around 95%, because page rank deteriorates a small percentage with each hop.

@martin-s & all

I'm not worried about page rank here, I'm looking at the whole picture of a domains power with serps once redirected. So the basic consensuses of the seo experts on this forum is that a redirected domain is as powerful as a fully indexed functioning website in g's eyes, and thus will continue ranking, or you haven't understood my question :rolleyes:.

I'm am sorry but that 301 has long term serp power just cannot be right, if I spoke to Cutt's right now I believe he would see my point: 301, 302, meta refresh, whatever it is at end of day its a redirected domain not much off being spam

Mother of god I must be the only person the planet that thinks this. You guys lost your way in seo world to focused on social media ;)

Eventually, the target url of the redirection should assume the ranking instead of the 301'd page. With probably 95% of the previous ranking strength.

I don't get how that can that be right - a dumped domain continuing to rank that's just a redirect. I understand that the juice is still being passed but what your saying is essentially there's no need to have a website as long as you keep passing juice along the way - why bother having a website to maintain!

... anyway that's my boggle :)

Eventually, the target url of the redirection should assume the ranking instead of the 301'd page. With probably 95% of the previous ranking strength.

Say you had a website that is all about solar panels.
You then have one that is all about Wind Turbines.
And another about ground source heating.

You then decide one day to combine these all into 'Humble Pies Eco Website' and 301 the websites, to webpages, that are similar in terms of theme.

Nothing wrong with this, and no reason why you should get a penalty for it, unless I am missing something? Google knows that things change, for one reason or another, so unless you're doing something really dumb, there is no reason to get a penalty.

As a side note, one of my sites ranks on page one for an 'area [service]' search. I don't work in that area, or advertise it on my site. However my site is about the service, and I picked up area[service].co.uk that had previously been used, and used well. I 301'd it over to my site, and get the juice from it.

Nothing wrong with this, and no reason why you should get a penalty for it, unless I am missing something?

In my book of course you should have a penalty for it! :) Your shit canning 3 fully functioning websites and now just pointing the domains to a sub page of a separate website - this begs the question why bother having a website at all to rank for a search term if you can just juice a domain!

I understand the new site will inherit some link juice from the redirects but the redirects themselves should (and must :evil: ) die in the serps now they have no 'website'. Does anyone actually understand what I am saying in this thread :lol:

This is the first time I have had this issue and will monitor the domain in question to see what happens over time,. of course I shall eat humble pie if I'm wrong.

I understand the new site will inherit some link juice from the redirects but the redirects themselves should (and must :evil: ) die in the serps now they have no 'website'. Does anyone actually understand what I am saying in this thread :lol:

Merging and changing website urls is real world business - absolutely zero reason to get a penalty - and zero reason that the 301 should ever devalue, though of course the link profile will naturally deteriorate with time as the links move to the new location.

The side note mentioned is worthy of a penalty, but relevancy should dictate.

Does anyone actually understand what I am saying in this thread :lol:

We all understand, but its a bit like whining about the guy doing 45 in a 50.

Nothing wrong or illegal with it, just gets on your nerves.

I don't get how that can that be right - a dumped domain continuing to rank that's just a redirect. I understand that the juice is still being passed but what your saying is essentially there's no need to have a website as long as you keep passing juice along the way - why bother having a website to maintain!

... anyway that's my boggle :)

Have you done a redirect check on the URL that you are saying is still in the SERPS, because you are right IF it is a 301 it would be removed quite quickly. Unless we had the URL to look into it I'd suggest you verify the redirect type if you havent already.

http://redirectcheck.com/index.php

Does anyone actually understand what I am saying in this thread :lol:

The redirect, as you describe it, may become less effective over time.
Obsessing about a competitor's search position is probably not the best use of your time though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom