Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Google update... going after EMD's

Status
Not open for further replies.
sites I didnt have movement in are now starting to have movement but seems in a bad way so far, brands are moving up and getting the same site appear multiple times in the top 10 which I thought they were meant to be fixing also

Just seeing some keywords bouncing back for my 2X EMD'S site, DAM I 301'd one site!! ahhhhhhhh lol

(UPDATE: Keywords in and out of search, so some things go on wether a partial roll back)

That's a bit of hope anyway. In saying that, my main site that I'm worried about isn't in the first 20 pages now. (Was 3rd before the algo change, and page 3 or 4 after the algo change).

I'm starting to wonder if I should start developing a brandable domain that is currently FTR. It's a .com which in my opinion is brandable and the .co.uk has been taking for 4 years. Hmmm.

Using the name lethal0r?

no i play as bloogy

Google has updated its webmasters guidelines today also, might be useful to some of you... http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/google-webmaster-guidelines-updated.html

Any links intended to manipulate a site's ranking in Google search results may be considered part of a link scheme.

in other words, any link you create yourself or ask for. so google basically wants no one to promote their own business directly, except where they profit from it (PPC).

no i play as bloogy

Any links intended to manipulate a site's ranking in Google search results may be considered part of a link scheme.

in other words, any link you create yourself or ask for. so google basically wants no one to promote their own business directly, except where they profit from it (PPC).

Lol looks like no more linking to your site in your signature too (I thought that was completely natural?) and low quality directory links are now bad..

Here are a few common examples of unnatural links that violate our guidelines:

Forum comments with optimized links in the post or signature, for example:
Thanks, that’s great info!
- Paul
paul’s pizza san diego pizza best pizza san diego

Last edited:
Lol looks like no more linking to your site in your signature too (I thought that was completely natural?) and low quality directory links are now bad..

Here are a few common examples of unnatural links that violate our guidelines:

Forum comments with optimized links in the post or signature, for example:
Thanks, that’s great info!
- Paul
paul’s pizza san diego pizza best pizza san diego

Some of the changes are comical. Looks like they've clamped down massively on anything approaching optimisation or self promotion.

LoL so EMDs are no good, links are classed as spam - I'm surprised there are any websites left in the SERPs with all of that going on.

Some of the changes are comical. Looks like they've clamped down massively on anything approaching optimisation or self promotion.

In some ways you've got to applaud google for that one... though it will bring the india/china seo market to it's knees...

...and hopefully put an end to the infuriating and utterly crap signature spam that litters countless blogs and sites.

The number of emails I've had from far east seo companies saying they'll submit content to blogs etc is beyond belief. What all they really do is great a single cookie cutter sentence like 'brilliant post, I've bookmarked it' or similar phrases along with a name and link signature.

It's spam pure and simple. Signature spam. This is BigG's response to that.

Now I'd have preferred a solution being all links are nofollow unless set to folow, but html is as it is, though I make all sites nofollow in the meta tags

In some ways you've got to applaud google for that one... though it will bring the india/china seo market to it's knees...

...and hopefully put an end to the infuriating and utterly crap signature spam that litters countless blogs and sites.

The number of emails I've had from far east seo companies saying they'll submit content to blogs etc is beyond belief. What all they really do is great a single cookie cutter sentence like 'brilliant post, I've bookmarked it' or similar phrases along with a name and link signature.

It's spam pure and simple. Signature spam. This is BigG's response to that.

Now I'd have preferred a solution being all links are nofollow unless set to folow, but html is as it is, though I make all sites nofollow in the meta tags

I certainly agree with you on one level. It's the collateral damage that is the issue of course. Perhaps that's why there's talk of possibly soon being able to disassociate links from your site. I don't deny that lots of bookmark and directory type sites are crappy either. It's when, say, you're in most of the well respected ones for a site, and this change knocks you for six that you're left head scratching.

I'd rather put it like this: Google tries to create search results giving the people searching the best possible content/information in front of them.

What many webmasters with 'poor EMD's' are doing is the following:
1) Buy a domain name for £20-100.
2) Outsource content or build 5-20 pages.
3) Work on getting 10-20 backlinks.
DONE.

Well, firstly - you should get a really good EMD in order to expect any benefits at all. I suggest below 15 characters (without extension) and rather 1 or maximum 2 words. The domain should sound natural (like a company name) and NOT be 'created only to trick Google and to be found in search engines' for a certain word or phrase.

Secondly, it's becoming increasingly important to get more and better content. Focus on fewer websites and do it better is my suggestion.

Finally, keep working on the backlinks continuously. Try to get the 'really good ones' rather than a lot of crap ones.

Anyway, I still believe in EMDs - at least the short and good ones - but domains having prepositions (like "to", "in", "for" etc) will probably be hit rather hard. Commercial keywords like 'buy', 'online' etc might also be good to avoid in domain names - unless it sounds very natural. Just my thoughts..

I had a few domains hit but if they were - they surely deserved it.. My domains which are not hit, they have good backlinks and content. So keep on working on the sites - and don't expect any major benefits from EMDs.

LoL so EMDs are no good, links are classed as spam - I'm surprised there are any websites left in the SERPs with all of that going on.

Last edited:
Since redirect all positions back.... but for how long? :rolleyes:

Well my reinclusion request came back as "no manual spam action on this site" so in other words that avenue is a waste of time.

I think your site will stay put. The EMD change is to tackle I think over optimised sites where the domain=the title= the H1= the keywords in the content= the backlinks = the money keywords; with the emphasis on the domain.

So now that your domain isn't = to the keywords it should be fine - that's my theory anyway.

I'm going to 301 my site today to something totally different, I'll report back on how it does too.

Matt Cutts forgot to mention there was a Panda algoritm update that started 1 day before. Not a data refresh but an update to Panda that affects 4x more queries than EMD update. Ridiculous. Whats the point of his "Minor weather report" if he forgot to mention a big update the day before http://searchengineland.com/google-panda-update-20-released-2-4-of-english-queries-impacted-135291

What's the point of him mentioning anything?

How does it change what you do?

Google make 1-2 changes to their algorithm every single day, no-one knows exactly what they do and to what extent, mentioning any seems pointless really.

They are never going to get to a point where they say "Right, the code is finished, let's leave it like that."

What's the point of him mentioning anything?

How does it change what you do?

Google make 1-2 changes to their algorithm every single day, no-one knows exactly what they do and to what extent, mentioning any seems pointless really.

They are never going to get to a point where they say "Right, the code is finished, let's leave it like that."

It's a serious business, they rely on webmasters. And their updates can ruin lifes and businesses. they should be serious about informing webmasters and be transparent to an extent. Telling about small update when there is a bug update underway is right irresponsible and misinformation and not serious at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom