Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Google update... going after EMD's

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a serious business, they rely on webmasters. And their updates can ruin lifes and businesses. they should be serious about informing webmasters and be transparent to an extent. Telling about small update when there is a bug update underway is right irresponsible and misinformation and not serious at all.

They do not give a damn :)

Matt Cutts is lip service and lip service only.

It would be interesting if all webmasters could somehow get together and send a message to Google by removing all ads for 24 hours.

That will hit their balance sheet and they'll maybe take notice.

This has all been said before.

Nothing will happen, it's an intrinsic part of the search engine. They HAVE to ignore website owners and focus only on the consumer and their own shareholders needs. Impartiality is a good thing.

Why is emd thing such a surprise "g" basicallly told everyone this is going to happen in MAR 2011...

http://youtu.be/rAWFv43qubI

Yeah but he just says they're going to "turn down the emphasis a little bit". This update seemed to be a penalty targeted at EMDs. Although I guess you can't rule out the panda effect that rolled out the same time.

In real terms the emd update was clearly overshadowed by Panda that happened around the same time.
A cynic would say that it was to deliberately cause confusion.
You might ask why Matt Cutts mentioned the emd update and not the panda one. A cynic may say because he wanted to cause a bigger stir in the emd/lowquality site industry.
In general youi would say that he communicates like a bumbling geek or someone very cleverly giving only the information he wants. You choose!

Yes a lot will have been hit by the Panda update on 9/27. Esp as this was algorithm update, not just a data update. easy to find out if its that or not that hit you I suppose it being or not an emd ? Less so If a combination or both ? And from what I understand Google is targeting “low quality” EMDs. Not simply EMDs in general.

My Adsense earnings has gone down by 90%, if I don't earn google doesnt earn

If there filling the top 10 with brands, well that will reduce the nerd for the brand to ppc so again google loose on Adwords

My Adsense earnings has gone down by 90%, if I don't earn google doesnt earn

If there filling the top 10 with brands, well that will reduce the nerd for the brand to ppc so again google loose on Adwords

I suspect they weighed up the cost of losing adsense rev on EMDs to the increased clicks on their own ads. Fewer EMDs will possibly mean their ads are more enticing?

Google share price and revenue stream has only ever gone one way what ever changes to the algorithm they have made

I did a search today for a a certain hotel, first result was obviously the hotel the next 19 were trip advisor

How is that a good search result

I did a search today for a a certain hotel, first result was obviously the hotel the next 19 were trip advisor

How is that a good search result

So you found the exact hotel you expected most of the others revues (supposed independant) about the hotel... Sounds like 100% relevant result? Better than not find it and all the other just be affiliate linked to death sites?

Yes its obvious “G” would ultimately like to be the only one making revenue from every search result and would see any unpaid for result as a loss…? For the next few years at least you either pay or create a relevant, Informative easy to use etc site. The old fashion pure affiliate type sites are thankfully dead.

Last edited:
We can have about a million threads about Google updates but the fact of the matter is that were allowed to play in Google's garden... They can do whatever they want and make any change to their algorithm whenever they want and don't have antyhing to explain to any webmaster.

Google is a company and all they want to do is make money... Their obvious source of income is to get businesses warm about Google and then get them to use Adwords...

I would have done the same.

I agree with the above but I do wonder if there is any other business out there who's decisions have such a massive, and sometime devastating results on millions of other businesses? I wonder if there are any studies or reports on how such small algo change can effect the general economy of a whole country. If this effect is minimal now, it's only something that's going to get much more pronounced with time. All this bares the question, if one company should be able to hold so much power with no real regulation whatsoever. After all, we do have such regulations for almost every industry with such potential such as the press, law and economy.

ugu3etez.jpg

I've noticed Wordpress sites have took a hit for me, here's one, never made much money from it due to the type of site It is but was always in the top 4 for the search term petition

Has some really good back links, newspapers Facebook etc

Petition.co.uk

Last edited:
Anyone got a recovery strategy?

My EMD's have been mullered so I must do something to bring my earnings back. If that's kill the site and start again then I will but I need to know it's not in vain!

My sites tend to be wordpress, different themes, most use easy content unit and we tend to then do a post where we will write about a particular product and link direct to the merchant, typically amazon with a "Buy Now" option.

Do I need to appear to be more like a merchant to please Google? Swap out clear amazon links for disguised internal links that are no follow?

Interesting. I was getting up to speed with Wordpress, now wondering if a different CMS would be a good idea moving forward. :confused:

To be honest I wouldn't be bothered changing over to a new CMS. There's plenty of quality Wordpress sites out there, it's not as if Wordpress = spammy (like .co.cc domains or whatever they were called).

You might have heard loads of people saying that their Wordpress sites have been hit, but then again there are so many Wordpress sites that this is to be expected after every update.

Anyone got a recovery strategy?

Do I need to appear to be more like a merchant to please Google? Swap out clear amazon links for disguised internal links that are no follow?

wait a week, sites will regain at least some of their rankings very soon.

google are not targetting or specifically punishing wordpress sites, absolute nonsense.

then some of my strategies for the longer term: write title tags in proper english, write really good content, sell real products, get real links, rely less on adsense. none of its easy to do but its getting the only way to make money.

I use mainly joomla and they've all disappeared.

The incoming anchors on links were pretty well diversified, but they were all pretty much perfectly on-page optimised.

I'm trying different things with different sites (I'm thinking EMD & over optimisation = penalty) and will post back any findings.

Might be a while though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom