Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Got Purchase Offer, Need Advice

Reaction score
I have a .co.uk domain name that matches the .com name used by an American company. I registered the domain a couple of years before their UK trademark was accepted. I was recently approached by a brand protection company offering to buy the domain name for mid-four figures. I am not sure if I want to sell, but wonder if anyone else has experience with such an approach? Is it worth pursuing a counter-offer? If I were to sell, I obviously want to get as much as possible.

How 'big' is the American company? Have you parked or developed the .co.uk? Prior registration doesn't protect you from big guns in some cases. It really depends on the domain and context. If a brand protection company has offered you mid-four, then it's probably worth a serious counter. Good luck!

Just to add:

1. Be careful what you say to the brand protection people. Keep it short and sweet along the lines of "I have no plans..." etc.

2. Does the USA company indicate that they do business in the UK on their .com domain?

Last edited:
The .co.uk forwards to a website I own that was never fully fleshed out. The American company generates between 300 and 400 million dollars per year in revenue.

Edited to add: Their website makes no mention of any operations in the UK. Indeed, as far as I am aware, they are not currently operating in the UK in any way.

Last edited:
Your current forwarding website doesn't have any link to the trademark companies business does it? i.e. if they are a shoe manufacturer and you are selling sandals etc?

Counter by all means, but be very careful not to instigate a conversation around any such trademarks just in case. They may try to catch you out.

If the domain is generic and would be good for use beyond reach of the TM(s) then it has value to other potential buyers, but are you likely to receive future higher offers?

You might also consider the scenario where you set a higher price and get no further response from the brand protection people. If they have asked whether you would accept xxxx USD, it may not mean that their client is actually offering that figure.

I know this from experience, dealing with some top gun US IP attorneys.

Are you in profit? Take the deal and run.......Domainers love waiting for that 'one day' offer....You can turn this profit over several times with some flips and be very happy....

What's that phrase - oh yeah - take the money AND RUN.......

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom