Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

London Olympics 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would normally look forward to the olympics but now it's on my doorstep I'm sitting in an office dreading my train journey home and the next 2 weeks commuting! roll on the close.

Tonight the opening ceremony will show the watching world that we are world leaders in the entertainment field and should make everyone watching on TV very proud to be British.

I must say the dreadful negative British attitude really does grind me down. Its the Olympics for gods sakes, its an honour to host these games, its regenerated a huge and largely derelict part of London, its great publicity for the UK and it showcases our country in the international business community, not to mention many direct and indirect economic benefits.

Its a good thing, really, it is.

spoken from the greek islands yes?

now come to London and tell most Londoners that and they'll laugh at you
the ones that haven't escaped the nightmare of traffic, over officious officials, some areas of london are virtual police state due to olympics
missiles on buildings and fields
+ they have paid for it!
one gaffe after another and just a bandwagon for over paid corporate types and celebrity whores to jump on and continue their social climbing

add to that it didn't come 5% or 10% over budget, about 500%. that's a major crime in itself
security handed to a bunch of clowns and mega cost to public

look, the point is everything the olympics should be, they're not anymore
they got took over by the elite and world corporates

you've got nazi locog inspectors going round telling shopkeepers to remove bunting and banners or else with police in tow

you can switch on the tv set and watch some events and say it's great etc without putting up with the crap tbh

spoken from the greek islands yes?

now come to London and tell most Londoners that and they'll laugh at you
the ones that haven't escaped the nightmare of traffic, over officious officials, some areas of london are virtual police state due to olympics
missiles on buildings and fields
+ they have paid for it!

Well I'm not sure what me being on a Greek island has to do with it, I am British, I pay British income tax and UK corporation tax, my family are in Britain and I go to London fairly regularly, where I meet lots of people who seem to be very pleased about the Olympics. Of course there are going to be traffic problems and lots of other problems, but its the Olympic Games.

Escaped to Scotland for a few days. Too hot, too many people. I have 24 odd BBC Olympic channels on the box, front seat.

I'm excited to see the opening ceremony tonight. Not too hopeful on the medals front really, but I'm glad we have the opportunity to host it. People have hardly been besides themselves with excitement, but I guess that's down to the crappy economy, and our ability for perpetual minor dissatisfaction :).

I've just seen a God on the opening ceremony I like to shake that man's hand :p

The fencing is on now, a sport you only seem to see when the Olympics is on, I was thinking it might appeal to younger people and encourage them to fence, if the fencers were to dress like the 3 Musketeers and sequins made from led's lit up their costumes when they got hit :lol:

Women's road cycling race just went through the little village where I grew up (Byfleet), strange to see Olympic cyclists riding the same road I used to ride to school.

Admin

Went to the USA v Colombia women's Olympic football yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised by the standard of football played, but then the US are the reigning Olympic champs.

I was switching back and forth between the Olympic channels and came across France vs North Korea women's football match....

.....now OK it wasn't the UEFA Final but it was a bit disappointing to see at least three quarters of the seats empty - especially as there's been so much in the news about no availability of tickets.

.....now OK it wasn't the UEFA Final but it was a bit disappointing to see at least three quarters of the seats empty - especially as there's been so much in the news about no availability of tickets.

Still plenty of women's football tickets available from the official ticketing website, and always have been. It's not from lack of availability that the seats were empty, sadly, but just from general lack of interest in the sport...

On another note, I'm enjoying watching the Olympics (on TV - not going to get to see stuff "in the flesh" until August 3rd) more than I thought I would, and the opening ceremony was great!

Thanks Edwin - hadn't realized (shame wasn't more publicly known - many people I've spoke to thought all tickets to everything were sold out)

Agree, opening ceremony was very good. My train line passes through Stratford on my way through to London (which I generally go once a week) - fascinating watching the development and stadiums being created week on week, and was lucky enough to take a tour of the park a few weeks ago - knew I'd regret now, but would have been good to get a couple of tickets to at least one of the events.

I was switching back and forth between the Olympic channels and came across France vs North Korea women's football match....

The France v Korea game followed the USA game at Hampden, so anyone wanting to stick around to see the second game would have had to wait an hour before the second game began at 7.45. When considering the relatively small crowd for the first game was made up of americans, some Colombians and many Scottish parents and kids, then it was going to empty before the French game. It's not like you'd get many North Koreans being able to attend!

Women's road cycling race just went through the little village where I grew up (Byfleet), strange to see Olympic cyclists riding the same road I used to ride to school.

Admin

Nice to hear they're following in your footsteps!

Next stop, domain names forums?! :D

Coe's excuses on the 'Accredited tickets' are shambolic. To include the crowds watching the cycling with actual event venues! Erm... they were flippin public roads!

What next fill them up with prisoners supplied by G4S?? Sounds about right! :)

I am not from UK, but I've written the lengthiest comments on Facebook - at least in my circle - regarding the Olympics, heralding the country for a job well done (although, the Dance number on the Opening did not astound me, perhaps for lack of choreography -- and ditto on the poor ticketing system which produced the empty seats)...:D

Lighten up, mates! This is a rare event that you should be enjoying and be proud of, regardless of how it was staged! The world doesn't care how you were able to come up with such a great show or whether there was misuse of money or corruption -- all they care about is what they see or the games. You're not having the Olympics for yourselves anyway...

Leave the worrying or trouble to the Organizers or to the government...Don't burden yourself unnecessarily. You already have your own personal problems, so leave it to the marines, so to speak...UK is not a special country where these "ugly" things happen...It happens in my country, too, and in all the countries of the world whether in a little or big way...I don't say you play blind to the errors and ugly practices of the politicians, but it should not dominate your whole being and cause you to be 'negative' and unhappy when there's nothing you can do about the situation. Sometimes we could just be overreacting, true.

Look at the brighter side. Count the benefits, not just the losses. We're enjoying the games (and facilities) on tv and hope that GB will gain a few medals, because she truly deserves the honor...I thank you....:)

Last edited:
Swimming looks a lot fuller for the morning heats... the evening are full cos of the finals so the 'accrediteds' would take their places. Hopefully the public have a few more seats.

Just sad that IOC/LOCOG ignored the fact that heats were under-viewed in 2008 and did nothing about it until they hada gun put to their head!

Hoping it doesn't happen in the velodrome this week!

Am loving;

Equestrian
Womens Beach Volleyball - not just for the obvious...the atmosphere's great, turn up the volume!
Quality of the venues

Am waiting for;

Trap Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom