Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

New York

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Has anyone been recently? Can you recommend any place to visit or perhaps a place to eat?

Ive pencilled in the following;

Empire State
Ground Zero
Statue of Liberty
Brooklyn Bridge
Time Square
Central Park
Staten Island Ferry

but I want to make sure I fit as much in to my 4 day trip as possible.

If you're going to the Statue of Liberty, it's best to go on the first ferry of the day and make sure you are one of the first off when you get there, those queues are a killer otherwise. Oh and don't forget to duck when you get to the top :cry: It's like having 5 or 6 people standing up in your car :)

If you're going to the Statue of Liberty, it's best to go on the first ferry of the day and make sure you are one of the first off when you get there, those queues are a killer otherwise. Oh and don't forget to duck when you get to the top :cry: It's like having 5 or 6 people standing up in your car :)

Is it worth the walk up to the top Paul or will a quick trip on the ferry to the island and back again surfice?

That's a lot to do in 4 days. We did:

Statue of Liberty
Ground Zero
Empire State
Fifth Avenue / Macy's etc (the missus wanted to shop)
Central Park
and a few other things i've forgotten.

Empire state can take a while as it's quite a queue - we went offpeak as well. Ground zero is ok, but quite eerie. I'm not sure what going up in the statue is going to get you - you can't go all the way to the top anymore, as you might be a terrorist and want to blow it up!

Jee

Thanks JZ

I think I will give SOL a miss and just catch it from the ferry.

Ive realised my hotel is just off Times Square and that ESB is only half a mile away so i guess I can do those two easily enough.

I would love to go to nyc man... junk food galore ... pankakes ... doughnuts.. ice cream.. ummmm

I would love to go to nyc man... junk food galore ... pankakes ... doughnuts.. ice cream.. ummmm

Well Mr Creosote, flights to NYC set me back a whopping £163 return

Your domains earn you that every 4 minutes, so set the Moths free and open your wallet.

haha i wish... enjoy your hols mate :cool:

who you flying with bud?

that's some deal for under £200,

Under £200? Who are you flying with? Corking price!

Would love to go for a few days myself for that kind of money :)

Flights with www.flyzoom.com

Ok, so it might not have a lot of leg room (£30 extra each way for more) but for circa £200 return, Id sit on a box of chickens ala Indiana Jones.

Just looked on the site, picked a random date - 7th to the 12th October - £230 all in (which INCLUDES taxes etc etc)

Not bad - i flew last month with American Airlines for 250 return! Bargain price, but was mid-march and so not a busy period.

I can whole heartedly recommend the restaurant/bar at the base of the Empire state if you are after a pint - their empire beer is quality! Haven't been able to source it over here :(

Times square is a good place to be - nice and central. I was opposite Madison Square Gardens. You could try and catch a basketball game - I'll do that next time!

Watch knowbody shoots a cap in your arse!

I'm living in NYC now.

Bad news for you though. You can't get to the top of the Statue of Liberty, it's closed off. At least the torch and crown are. Plus they are doing renovations on other parts so you'd be wise to check about which bits you can get to.

Some of the parts have been closed off since just after 9-11.

As for eating there are loads of places to eat. 2 slightly different places are:

Korean Food: Korean Town - 32nd Street (wiki) Bibimbap is a good choice (I have to get the veggie option) its rice and mixed veg with a fried egg on top, served in a very hot bowl, that you mix together with hot sauce. Otherwise for carnivores you have Korean barbeque, cooked on your table.

Italian food: Carmines - 200 West 44th Street (Theater District near Time Square). Now this is a 'family style' restaurant, so the portions, including starters, are massive. No lie. be careful what you order. because it will most likely be too much. Ask a waiter.

I had a lot of fun at Carmines and my gf is Korean, so I get dragged along often, but to be honest bibimap (ask for the hot one, I think is called 'dolsup bibimbap') is very nice.

Have fun.

I flew virgin for £199. Was great except I was front of economy and could see the big oval bar in business! I coulda done the flight on a bar stool no problem. :D

Would recommend a pastrami sandwich at carnegies deli. only order 1! same with the cheesecake.

Get a cab over the brooklyn bridge for a nice steak at peter lugas

Grand central station has some great restaurants too. There's a nice oyster bar to get the missus in the mood ;)

Also if you like abercrombie and fitch get on the subway down to south street seaport. I used to stock up on them until they went common! :(

If the missus wants a moody handbag get a cab to canal street.

Last edited:
Go to the meat packer district for nice restaurants and jazz clubs, taxis are cheap, excpet they are usually full so takes a while to find a decent one. Dont miss Central Park, there is a restauarnt just on the edge that does a wicked breakfast, you can ice skate in the middle of the park.

Rockafella plaza has the skating rink too but queues are likely.

Talk good walking shoes, I walked 6 hours and saw everything but feet and legs were dead at the end of it.

Watch out for the street dancers too, they are awesome.

Also if you like abercrombie and fitch get on the subway down to south street seaport. I used to stock up on them until they went common! :(

A&F play their music far too loud and their clothes are tiny. I've been in there a couple of times at South Street Seaport, and they are full of girls with tiny waists or larger girls trying to force tops on.... :confused:

But South Street Seaport is one of the best places to take pictures of The Brooklyn Bridge, it's a stones throw from there. And people always say that you have to walk across the BB, supposed o be a great icecream shop on the other side... Will try and remember the name of it...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom