Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Selling a website. My Google Analytics paranoia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am in the process of selling a developed site. But I'm unsure of how much information I am really 'obliged' to provide in order for a potential buyer to make a decision.
For example I was recently asked to provide access to my Google Analytics account. Although this can be done in a controlled manner for a potential buyer I guess my paranoid side tells me that it's a great way for someone in my niche to get all the keyword data from my site, under the pretence of being a buyer.

Am I being too paranoid here or do I just need to be careful as to who the potential buyer might be? For example if they are a long and trusted member of the forum then I guess there is less risk but if they are a new member then I guess I am more than within my rights to withhold some info like full analytics data?

It would also help if anyone replying would include any specifics, if any, of info. they do or dont hold back. Thanks.

Ask them what reports they want.

You can export these as pdf format easily using the Analytics export function.

If there's a report you don't want to give them, then you can say so and explain why.

This allows them to verify your analytics data without having the run of it.

You can add people as a user with in the Admin section - so they can view analytics live. They can't change anything, just view data.

Admin > Users > + New User (as long as their email has a G account)

I think it's important to be as transparent with people as possibly when selling a site, and I always offer this. You don't want people later on realising it wasn't quite what they expected and demanding their money back.

They can get pretty much all your keyword data from your site anyway by using ahrefs.com. Obviously it won't tell them click-throughs/traffic etc. but that can be estimated by comparing exacts/rankings anyway.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
I have no problem in providing people with as much information as possible and I guess that if a potential buyer is genuine then they will have very specific questions which I can answer in detail anyway.
I think for my first sale I'll deny access and if it's a deal breaker I can reconsider.

Ask them what reports they want.

You can export these as pdf format easily using the Analytics export function.

If there's a report you don't want to give them, then you can say so and explain why.

This allows them to verify your analytics data without having the run of it.

Yes, I'd just export a pdf showing for example sources of traffic for a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom