Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

The new Real Time DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it not because nominet dont like the after sales of .uk domains ? so they will try everything to stamp it out.

All this is new, the original changes never mentioned shutting down my business with domains for the second year running after deleting, that woman in charge, we should find a way to get rid of her, dead wood floating too long. Sink it.

Also I notice that when these changes were first announced the Nominet website said:

"Following the decision by the PAB agreeing to allow
users to have different levels of access to our systems, we are planning to
make some changes to the Domain Availability Checker".

As you can see here:

Google Cache: Domain Availability Checker

However this has now disappeared on the new version:

Domain Availability Checker

Let me remind you what the PAB actually resolved:

http://www.nic.uk/digitalAssets/28809_PAB52minutes_Sept_07.pdf

I will raise it at the next PAB meeting (my last).

Something changed, because the first I heard my business was at risk AGAIN from the same company was on here tonight.

All this is new, the original changes never mentioned shutting down my business with domains for the second year running after deleting, that woman in charge, we should find a way to get rid of her, dead wood floating too long. Sink it.

How is this going to shut your business down Lee? It's a small code change to your script and possibly a bit of extra work sorting out your daily drop lists? Or am I missing something?

Grant

How is this going to shut your business down Lee? It's a small code change to your script and possibly a bit of extra work sorting out your daily drop lists? Or am I missing something?

Grant

I'm missing something I think, I'll have to find out.

Come on guys, you'll just have to work a bit harder panning for those nuggets!

Seriously though, Nominet I imagine are keen to do a bit of levelling, after all, us in the 'hand registration sector' need all the help we can get! Think of them as 'New Nominet', trying to prevent you Harpies from pinching all the goodies!

Last edited:
Come on guys, you'll just have to work a bit harder panning for those nuggets!

Seriously though, Nominet I imagine are keen to do a bit of levelling, after all, us in the 'hand registration sector' need all the help we can get! Think of them as 'New Nominet', trying to prevent you Harpies from pinching all the goodies!

Surely, Nominet must make an absolute fortune from all those £10+VATs we pay for transfers though ;)

Surely, Nominet must make an absolute fortune from all those £10+VATs we pay for transfers though ;)

They shouldn't be making a penny on transfers, it's a reviewed cost recovery system, totally funded by the people who pay the transfer fees!

i'm being told that contrary to pre release details, that everything has changed now and the big shots who give nominet the most business will be given preferential treatement and allowed more look ups and the likes of me will only be allowed 30,000 a day. But others say that isn't the case and I'll still keep the 400,000 odd.

Also because the suspend look up is not not available that for some reason stops a script working, why when all you need is to know it's available or not?

And apparantly the top domainers will wipe the floor and take over the running over nominet within two years because their quota has tripled and the little domainers who they see as chancers have been eradicated. Wish those people at Nominet would stop trying to put people out of business.

Also because the suspend look up is not not available that for some reason stops a script working, why when all you need is to know it's available or not?

The suspend flag no longer being on the realtime DAC is not really an issue if all you do is try and catch domains in the normal daily cycles. If you catch out of the normal predictable cycle or you do other things with your DAC (like compiling big lists) then it does become an issue.

Sure the time delayed DAC is there but, as you point out, only the largest members will really benefit from this.

You still get 432000 on the DAC as it is now. You will also get a quota on the delayed DAC (100ms response time), the quota depending on how many domains are on your TAG and the amount you reg per month.

The delayed DAC will not be competitive for catching due to the delay.

The suspended flag being removed is only really a problem for finding domains that are suspended before renewal date, if you don't build your own lists then it's not a problem at all.

You will need a small code change if you currently check the suspended field to see if you missed a domain.

Grant

Nominet have now sent out an email to members with the proposed DAC details & changes - a bit uncanny the timing after my mail discussions with them, but there you go.

If you have concerns over the quota system or field changes I suggest you follow the steps in the mail and/or whois's details in the post above.

Or forever hold your peace.

I would also note the significant changes to the dac contract.

S

Nominet's reply to me was suggesting that the time-delay limits are to protect system availability, however, I fail to see how this is going to work as I can simply register a number of throwaway domains in order to increase my time-delay DAC limits.

My understanding was that the whois2 service was for bulk customer initiated lookups and the DAC was a simple availability checker, I'd have thought the time-delay would be far easier on resource than the real-time and therefore able to support more lookups.

I guess there will now be a market for a tool that uses someone like 123-reg's site to perform the non-realtime queries that we should really be doing direct to Nominet :(

Nominet could overcome the so called "availability" by publishing suspended domains. Other Registry's do it and they have the "first come first served" policy.

Nominet could overcome the so called "availability" by publishing suspended domains. Other Registry's do it and they have the "first come first served" policy.

That is quite a good point. Just think how much less of an effort it would be for you all if you knew what was dropping and when. It is only one step away from the 'discover it for yourself' approach which must surely burden Nominet's servers needlessly. Would you really need all these different data access systems then?

I would also note the significant changes to the dac contract.

IANAL but clause 5.3.6 is a bit of a stinker for those who provide (or who may be planning to provide ;)) droplists...

This also seems odd:

...........you may do the following...................

5.2.1. compile a list of .uk domain names together with their expiry date or other data from the DAC query provided that such list comprises information about less than 1,000 domain names and is not retained by you for a period greater than 90 days and (optionally) use that list for providing services to your existing clients ;

Does anyone have a cache of the old terms?

Grant

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts