Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Yet another commission increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could, but that's hardly a marketplace.

DomainNameSales has a poor search facility imho, and hardly anyone has named a price - it's mainly 'please submit your offer'. This doesn't help potential buyers.

Sedo clearly has a lot of whacky pricetags listed, but any buyer can get to see a good range of similar domains and many with sensible price tags. The buyer gets a feel for the market and can see that they may have to pay a bit for a good domain. At that point, the minimum commission is irrelevant.

Perhaps the minimum commission is aimed at clearing a lot of the poorer quality domains away from Sedo lists?

Last edited:
I could, but that's hardly a marketplace.

DomainNameSales has a poor search facility imho, and hardly anyone has named a price - it's mainly 'please submit your offer'. This doesn't help potential buyers.

Sedo clearly has a lot of whacky pricetags listed, but any buyer can get to see a good range of similar domains and many with sensible price tags. The buyer gets a feel for the market and can see that they may have to pay a bit for a good domain. At that point, the minimum commission is irrelevant.

Perhaps the minimum commission is aimed at clearing a lot of the poorer quality domains away from Sedo lists?

I think your looking at this from a buyers perspective. From a sellers perspective the Sedo commission and pages are poor. If a seller wants to flip a name they can here or domainlore but the serious money is made with endusers. Sedo still have keywords such as PS3 and PDA's on their portal page which were obsolete years ago. Im now moving my portfolio to Domainnamesales.com which seem much better than Sedo and dealing with the sales myself hence saving 15%. Its all down to personal choice but imo Sedo just take take take with giving nothing back.

Fair points.

What's DomainNameSales track record like? Have they captured many high-priced enduser sales to your knowledge?

Cheers

Several members on here with big portfolios use them.
They use the name servers buy.internettraffic.com and sell.internettraffic.com

Bluerock, have you tried DNS much yet? I noticed the sign up form states you must give them a full list of your portfolio when you signup. Is that for DNS or for their parking or both? Do you feel marketplaces such as DNS provide much valued added in *.uk compared to putting up a for sale page yourself with an email address for enquiries?

Fair points.

What's DomainNameSales track record like? Have they captured many high-priced enduser sales to your knowledge?

Cheers

As you handle your own sales, that's up to you.

Domains sell themselves and most of the inquiries come in through the parked page.

Bluerock, have you tried DNS much yet? I noticed the sign up form states you must give them a full list of your portfolio when you signup. Is that for DNS or for their parking or both? Do you feel marketplaces such as DNS provide much valued added in *.uk compared to putting up a for sale page yourself with an email address for enquiries?

Hi David

Ive tried it for 1 hour with the help of Foz :D
Its for both DNS and parking though the parking revenue isnt too important to me. I just gave them a list of 1500 to start with and see how it goes. I'd like to deal with enquiries myself rather than Sedo who keep buyers details private so you never know who your dealing with.

I dont think Sedo have moved with the times and you have to adapt to get on. I dont know if DNS will provide much value for .uk but time will tell. Id rather try DNS initially before contemplating a bespoke landing page system. Ive spoken to a few on here who use DNS and they are very happy so its worth trying out.

Hi David

Ive tried it for 1 hour with the help of Foz :D
Its for both DNS and parking though the parking revenue isnt too important to me. I just gave them a list of 1500 to start with and see how it goes. I'd like to deal with enquiries myself rather than Sedo who keep buyers details private so you never know who your dealing with.

I dont think Sedo have moved with the times and you have to adapt to get on. I dont know if DNS will provide much value for .uk but time will tell. Id rather try DNS initially before contemplating a bespoke landing page system. Ive spoken to a few on here who use DNS and they are very happy so its worth trying out.

Thanks. Having something bespoke that automatically inserts a hosted domain name into a short landing page containing a few sentences along with email address contact details probably wouldn't be more than about an hours work and one wouldn't be sharing all of ones sales details with a third party which is something to bear in mind. :) If the marketplace element of something like DNS/Sedo really isn't of much value, because people find your domain names by typing them into the address bar field of a web browser anyway, are you aware of anything significant that DNS offer over a quick bespoke solution that I have suggested? Thanks.

Thanks. Having something bespoke that automatically inserts a hosted domain name into a short landing page containing a few sentences along with email address contact details probably wouldn't be more than about an hours work and one wouldn't be sharing all of ones sales details with a third party which is something to bear in mind. :) If the marketplace element of something like DNS/Sedo really isn't of much value, because people find your domain names by typing them into the address bar field of a web browser anyway, are you aware of anything significant that DNS offer over a quick bespoke solution that I have suggested? Thanks.

Im not aware of anything significant that DNS offer over a bespoke solution but after over 10 years with Sedo I think its time to try something new. DNS was recommended by a few members so Im not losing anything by trying a different platform.
Im also not into programming so I'd rather try this before asking others for quotes on a system which is all <$$/ to me.

Im not aware of anything significant that DNS offer over a bespoke solution but after over 10 years with Sedo I think its time to try something new. DNS was recommended by a few members so Im not losing anything by trying a different platform.
Im also not into programming so I'd rather try this before asking others for quotes on a system which is all <$$/ to me.

I think a few lines of php or similar is all that would be required to strip off any subdomains and place "example.co.uk" into the HTML in a few places within a few sentences, where required. Put that into a single web site that is IP based (i.e. only this web site of yours uses the IP address) and then resolve any domain names you wish to sell to that IP using an A record in the zone like you do now. Someone on here would probably do the few lines of scripting (it's not programming). Google "php to read domain name" and Stack Overflow results probably have what's required. :)

Something else, which in my opinion is a significant loss, that you may miss out on using a CRM style platform such as DNS instead of simply providing an email address for contact is the ability to review the raw headers of emails. I've learned plenty about buyers by doing that on many occasions. As soon as you embark on providing entirely web based communication then you lose that.

Y:)

So £45 to sell a £99 domain. Bye Bye Sedo

I've just sold one for £135 and charged £54, seems they are adding VAT onto the £45, so it's even worse than that !

Current Status: Domain sold. Transfer in progress.
Sale Price: 135 GBP
Sedo's Commission: 54 GBP
Net amount to be credited:81 GBP

Time to look elsewhere

I've just sold one for £135 and charged £54, seems they are adding VAT onto the £45, so it's even worse than that !

Time to look elsewhere

But isn't selling so low an issue too?

I tend to raise the bar, selling to end users for cheap hurts the aftermarket.

I'm looking to reduce my portfolio and it was one I may or may not have renewed at expiry, so happy to have sold it at that price (they made a lower offer via Sedo and I pushed them up a little, but didn't want to lose the sale), just annoyed at commission as I'd worked on £45, may have pushed them for another £10 if I'd known.

I Don't currently have the time to initiate the contact with end users so have to rely on them coming to me. Back in the days when parking revenue paid the renewal fees many times over, I was happy to hold out for a "proper" end user price, sadly those days have long gone and needs must....

Last edited:
I'm looking to reduce my portfolio and it was one I may or may not have renewed at expiry, so happy to have sold it at that price (they made a lower offer via Sedo and I pushed them up a little, but didn't want to lose the sale), just annoyed at commission as I'd worked on £45, may have pushed them for another £10 if I'd known.

When you decide to flog storageideas for £99 I'll give the you £45.

Time to look elsewhere

Felling the pain here too :( At least you got over half back!

Auction price............ $140_____(£93.33)
Commission............. $72______(£48.00)
Sedo's bank charges.. $15.79___(£10.53)
Net proceeds received $52.21___(£34.80) = 37% of sale price

Probably shouldn't have let it go to auction, but I was living in the past when an emd.net would make decent money!

Has anyone tried flippa for shifting low end domains? I'm wary of the snake oil salesmen & pump'n'dump sellers there when I'm buying.

Unfortunately i am now going to be forced to look elsewhere with parking, i also recently noticed the impact of these changes when a domain i sold for £125 resulted in me receiving £72.

I have not done to bad from Sedo, but i think it's time i no longer park with them. I'm baffled by Sedo's strategy, surely it would make business sense to encourage domainer's to park at Sedo. Aside from the increase in charges, not offering loyal customers/sellers a better parking option + taking what seems to be nearly "all" the parking revenue is taking the biscuit.

This may be wrong but I've heard that.

There are still higher commissions available if you join the new version of Sedo pro. It's called Sedo 18

You have to send the usual proofs of id but also have to Skype call them, to prove you exist I guess?

During the Skype call you have to follow the instruction to prove you are human, a bit like a live captcha, you stand on one leg cover your left eye and shout the 18th letter of the alphabet out to them twice.

After that your one of them and quids in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom