Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

acquirethisname.com & enom

Discussion in 'Domain Name Disputes' started by Murray, Sep 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

My friend had a pretty successful makeup blog.

She used blogger and registered it through them using google apps, google apps used enom at the time.

Because of problems being able to sign into her google apps account she was unable to renew her domain, she tried asking enom for help renewing it, they were no help whatsoever.

On september 23rd it got updated to a new owner with the whois hidden.

The domain now has a parking page with "The domain may be for sale. Click here for details."

Which leads to a contact form on acquirethisname.com

From what I can gather acquirethisname is just a subsidiary of enom.

I find it very unsavoury that enom hide behind acqiuirethisname to try and sell people back the domains they had registered with them.

What are the options for her apart from making an offer and trying to buy the domain back?

The domain name itself is very specific to her and her blog, it's not generic or of any value to anyone else (apart from it's links)

Would she have unregistered rights? and could see pursue it legally.. but I guess that would end up costing a lot a money even if she could.

Has anyone dealt with acquirethisname before?

Thanks.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Retired_Member38

Retired_Member38 Banned

If the domain is relatively worthless then try and use the thread of blog posts / bad publicity to make them hand it over?

4. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

5. foz

foz Well-Known Member

Welcome to the future of the .uk space (the new Registrar policy proposals) - Registrars taking control and ownership of expired domains. :(

6. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

I was going to say it would of ended up with one of us ;)

But that wouldn't of happened with a co.uk because it wouldn't of been so impossible to renew.

At least if you have a problem with a .uk domain you can actually call nominet directly for help and talk to someone.

7. sdsinc Iceland

sdsinc Active Member

Yes, that's what they do. I confirm that acquirethisname = enom. They even obfuscate the domains on their home page :roll: They should have the guts to acknowledge the fact that they are taking over expired domains. Those that they choose not to keep are going to namejet to be auctioned. I actually wonder about their criteria.

I think that enom is not a trustworthy registrar. I even find them unethical, not just because of this particular practice. But there are many registrars that suck.

I am not sure what google apps has to do with enom. Bottom line is that it is the registrant is responsible for renewing in time, and any go-betweens/reseller-ism will always make things more complicated.

I would start all over with a clean slate, that means buying the domain straight from an Icann registrar - NOT a reseller or a webhost.
    Option #2 would be to file a complaint with Icann if you think enom failed to perform their obligations toward you the registrant.

8. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Perhaps she could bake them a cake? :) Seriously, why not try emailing them with some supporting evidence of the former site and proof that she was the same contact on the previous WHOIS. Obviously use the matching email address to do this if you do it. They might take pity on her or suggest a low fee to return the domain name. You could always counter whatever they come back with, if they do. If the domain name clearly has no other interested suitors, I'd imagine selling it for a small profit would make sense to them if they operate on huge scale.

Her other options are to forget about it and choose another domain name. Unfortunately just because you know her and you post here doesn't get you an industry discount.

Therefore they might sell it back to her for next to nothing. All the rest is probably moot as she isn't going to pay the fee to file a udrp or sue. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.