Public Benefit Nominet EGM

.co.uk Privacy

Discussion in 'New Domainers' started by cah1234, May 7, 2017.

1. cah1234 United Kingdom

cah1234 Member

Hi, i'd like to buy a .co.uk domain for business use. Is it possible to register it privately so my info doesn't appear on whois?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. Lucky Luke United Kingdom

Lucky Luke Active Member

Yes, there are several ID Protection companies offering that service for the .uk namespace.

I'm not sure how you are protected if those firms go bust. Best to read their T&Cs and probably have a chat with someone at Nominet Customer Services to see how Nominet regard it.

Ask your Registrar/Host if they offer it. It costs a not very much each year.

• Like Like x 1
  4. keys United Kingdom

keys Well-Known Member

It is easy enough to register a .uk domain and hide the details. which makes it a fairly common practice. Nominet have rules regarding this, but they are lightly enforced.

If a business or trader tries to hide their location by omitting a physical address from their website, business cards etc., or obscuring registrant details I would assume they are working from a bedroom, not a serious enterprise and unlikely to offer reliable service.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  5. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Strange assumption to make?

6. Brassneck United Kingdom

Brassneck Well-Known Member

Why do you think it is a strange assumption?

7. scottmccloud

scottmccloud Well-Known Member

I'd also be much less likely to use their services or buy their products without such info as a lack of transparency sets alarm bells ringing.

8. ian

ian Well-Known Member

That a bedroom/home business cannot offer a reliable service; but if he was meaning in the instance of hiding such information, then yes, the lack of clarity might be a cause for concern.

9. keys United Kingdom

keys Well-Known Member

If you run a legitimate business selling goods or services, you need to provide a name and address for HMRC, banking, suppliers, insurers and so on. Why would you try to hide this information from your customers?

Many bedroom/home businesses do provide reliable service, and I wish them success. There are also rogue traders who need anonymity to evade unhappy customers, or attention of law enforcement agencies.

10. ian

ian Well-Known Member

100% agree with this; I just read your first post to suggest home businesses shouldn't be considered reliable. If they hide data, then absolutely you'd have to question why.