Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Domain Monster fails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Before i start my rant I KNOW I SHOULD HAVE MY OWN TAG!! :D I will sort this year.

Ok I'm with 123-reg and had a few who haaa's with them and discovered Domain Monster who were cheaper, more helpful, not middle men, and seemed to be a fair bunch.

I started to transfer over a few dozen and all is well 123-reg £7.03 a renewal to £6.93 at DM.

Well thats not the case any more DM have matched 123-reg's price and have stuck it up to £7.03 (yes you do get discounts on bulk renewals etc) 1st fail

After a call last week you don't get the 30 ish days before it gets suspended you get only 16 with DM and then you have to pay them to get control again. Hmmm 2nd fail

Another and final bombshell tonight, a few needed renewing Friday saturday and was going to renew them next week but noticed emails and sites were down. 3rd fail

Looked at the whois and the'd only changed the Nameservers to a parked page redirect on them all. 4th fail

So rant over but just goes to show 123-reg anit that bad and WONT be transfering any more over to DOMAIN MONSTER and WILL get a TAG soon.

:-x

Over to you lot.

Useful to know, thnx for the info. Looks like they are hiking prices in all areas of their business offerings

It is good to know.

1 day late in renewing and they more or less claim it and mess your site up, email, website etc.

All is forgiven 123-reg ;)

I'm happy with DM, excellent customer service and if you by in bulk, the cheapest prices are when you buy 25+ but this is in years and not actual domains, eg you buy 10 x .com and 8 times .co.uk = 26 years so you get the cheapest price :cool:

I am not happy with their catching fees :( £42 all in it's too much :mad:

I have cancelled several backorders now because they are not worth it.

I find regging domains with 123-reg a pain in the ass because they auto tick .me and .eu for you and you have to unselect it each time.

I have domains with 123-reg but I have most with DM :cool:

I'm happy with DM, excellent customer service and if you by in bulk, the cheapest prices are when you buy 25+ but this is in years and not actual domains, eg you buy 10 x .com and 8 times .co.uk = 26 years so you get the cheapest price

Agree and I do like them but these little bugs I've found could cost me if site go down with out me knowing. Plus it's a DNS thing and can take 48 hours to resolve.

I am not happy with their catching fees £42 all in it's too much

£12 more than standard £30 not much in it if it's a decent domain :rolleyes: so no worries there for me

I find regging domains with 123-reg a pain in the ass because they auto tick .me and .eu for you and you have to unselect it each time.

Yes they need that one sorting out!! :D

I'm happy with DM, excellent customer service and if you by in bulk, the cheapest prices are when you buy 25+ but this is in years and not actual domains, eg you buy 10 x .com and 8 times .co.uk = 26 years so you get the cheapest price :cool:
That's quite cool, is this the case for renewals as well?

I am not happy with their catching fees :( £42 all in it's too much :mad:

I have cancelled several backorders now because they are not worth it.
Depends what names you are booking ;)

@GDG, I know when I have a domain transfered in, the DNS records only take 90 seconds to create and A records update instantly :)

And by the way they're monsters and not bugs :mrgreen:

Interesting to see others views on Domain Monster. I use them for backorders sometimes, but now they're so pricey I don't know as I'll be so keen. If I do catch names with them I don't leave them there, but transfer out.

For what it's worth here is my experience of the companies I've used for registering UK names.

123 REG - Slow registration allowing names to be lost while waiting; expensive; poor service; slow confusing website. I used them for about 6 months when I started some years ago - then never again. So they might be better now???

Domain Monster Great for their fast who-is look-up system. They also give instant registration BUT, as golddiggerguy says, they suspend names 16 days after expiry. They then want you to pay through the nose to get them back. This is part of the message they sent me after I let one go to 30 days from expiry before trying to renew it with them.

"16 days after expiry there is a free grace period, whereby we can grab your domains back from the registry free of charge for you. However, after this time they enter redemption at the registry. At this point, they incur a cost of £75 +VAT per domain plus the cost of a standard renewal for a .co.uk name. So £5.90 + VAT per domain."

Rather than paying that £80.90 + VAT (per name!) I just transferred the name to Heart, changed tags and renewed without any charge, just the usual renewal fee.

Heart Great customer service (quick, helpful, response even on Sunday nights!) and instant registration; Searching for available names with them can be slow; They often tick the eu box automatically when ordering co.uks slowing things up further;

On the whole I like Heart and have a good number of names with them. They don't charge extra, even if renewing on the last day prior to cancellation, giving me a full 3 months or so to get round to renewing - long enough even for disorganised types like me! Renewing this late does require an individual email to them to get the names placed back on your renewals page (a bit of a hassle). But I reckon that's a small price to pay when you have a last minute change of mind.

InternetBS.net Instant registrations; Domains are only £6 for 2 years; They don't charge VAT (based in Nassau, tax haven); They're pretty cheap for .coms as well (free privacy too if you want it); This is my preferred registrar.

Of course if you are VAT registered they're maybe not such a good deal. Also you can only pay via Paypal or Moneybookers, but at least they don't add a surcharge (unlike Moniker). In addition they will accept BACS payments if funding your account in advance. They offered me a bulk discount if I paid like that, but I've not gone further down that road yet. Would be better if they just took credit card payments, but I don't find it a problem.

I've had names with InternetBS for years and they've always been totally reliable and couldn't be more helpful. I like the simple uncluttered system they have for managing domains. UK Domains stay in your account until the very last day prior to cancellation and can be renewed until then, with no hassle and no extra charges.

Another small point is that they accept payment in pounds or dollars, which is handy at times. I only kept a few names with them, until I was more sure of them, but as my confidence grew in their service I've gradually shifted most names over to them. Of course me saying that is probably enough to make them go bankrupt over night! :D

Last edited:
Just regged 7 names on 123-reg >

123-REG
They give you a very big list of crap extensions, they auto select .me and .eu, you have to click confirm and pay buttons about 5 or 6 times before you get to actually pay, they miver you to add email services and the registration is slow and I have to log out and back in for them to show in my account :mad:

DM
No probs, fast look up, instant registration and payment is a peice of p*ss and you can change between auto renew on/off whenever you feel like it :cool:

Heart
1 of the reasons I stopped using them is because to stop a domain being on auto renew you have to wait untill 30 days or less till it allows you, you can't set this in advance :(

InternetBS
Never heard of them and sounds dodgy, maybe I'm wrong :?

Last edited:
Heart
1 of the reasons I stopped using them is because to stop a domain being on auto renew you have to wait untill 30 days or less till it allows you, you can't set this in advance :(

Agree with that as a big point against Heart. I too would much prefer to be able to manage renewals at any time - not just last 30 days.

InternetBS
Never heard of them and sounds dodgy, maybe I'm wrong :?

Yes, I thought they sounded dodgy at first too! But a lot of folks on another domain forum were using them so I tried them out and after several years have had no reason to complain. I'd rather go with someone UK based to be honest. But haven't found anyone in this country that offers everything I'm looking for, and at a good price.

Has anyone tried: daily/co/uk or namecheap/com?

I'm switching from 1&1 (bulk transfer ASAP!) and was considering 123-reg, but from what I've read above, they're not that good.

Has anyone tried: daily/co/uk or namecheap/com?

I'm switching from 1&1 (bulk transfer ASAP!) and was considering 123-reg, but from what I've read above, they're not that good.

DM mate, you can't go wrong :cool:

I use daily.co.uk for most my uk domains, but just started regging some with uk2.net as they appear to be the cheapest all round?

IS DM any good ?

Very good, nice prices, very quick look up, instant registration, easy payment and excellent customer service.

There was one issue regerding backorders but I pointed that out to them and it was sorted within only a few hours :cool:

Agree with doodlebug.

I recently did a bulk transfer away from 1&1. :shock:

Everything went smoothly transfering into DM. :D

For a quick and efficient service, DM get's my thumbs up!

Last edited:
Thanks

Many thanks ill be changing to them asap ,

Names.co.uk think they can charge 19.99 to renew 1 domain name LOL

All done many thanks impressed so far very easy conrol panel ,

will domain renewals be standard 2.99 + VAT ?

The price you pay to begin with is the price you pay each year :cool:

Now why didn't I put an aff link on here (damn) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom