Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Google checkout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Does Google checkout put customers off placing an order, I have never bought anything through Google checkout but I believe that they have to register in order to make a purchase.

Anyone got experience with this thanks :cool:

It's just another option, as a merchant I reckon I get 20:1 paypal:google checkout, but if it's easy enough for you to implement don't see any reason why you wouldn't. I think as they roll out google wallet there will be greater take up, so probably worth doing for the long term.

I wouldn't recommend Google Checkout. They closed my account without warning with ~£5000 in it. I did nothing wrong that I knew of and after a search I wasn't the only person they did this to by a long shot.

I ran it along side a merchant account and PayPal and the normal merchant account got 90% of the transactions.

I know people think it's best to offer a lot of payment options to suit the customer but from a usability view, it just makes the customer think more at a critical stage in the buying process what payment option they want to choose. The basket is one of the most important pages on your site and to confuse customers with a list of different buttons for payment is a big no-no. A good way to think about it is if there was no text anywhere on the page, would they still know which button to click to proceed to the checkout. With multiple payment options they wouldn't.

Now I just run a merchant account on its own and I haven't seen a drop at all in conversions.

Does Google checkout put customers off placing an order, I have never bought anything through Google checkout but I believe that they have to register in order to make a purchase.

Anyone got experience with this thanks :cool:

Hasn't it changed to google wallet or something now? Last time used checkout on a site it was a fairly new concept but there were no charges if you also spent on adwords so it was worth having.
I think paypal was too firmly entrenched though for most people to bother registering just to make a payment?

Recently though, as a consumer, I've used the payment option (as wallet) on youtube pay per play and it is quite good. Sure you have to register but I think more and more people are registered by default these days so you should meet less resistance.

Thanks for your replies, it's a new site so I will see how it goes, I think I'll add Paypal at a later date.

Nice to know that checkout is free if you use Adwords :cool:

What payment option do you recommend for a merchant site? ssagepay? worldpay?

What payment option do you recommend for a merchant site? ssagepay? worldpay?

It depends on how many transactions you are doing and the average value of each transaction. I'm currently using PayPal express checkout which is free from monthly fees, but the unit fee is not particularly cheap. I've just subscribed to payments pro which is £20 per month, but gives customers a flawless on-site experience which I will soon implement.

It works out cheaper than sagepay / worldpay given the value of and quantity of transactions that go through the shop. If you sell more then sagepay / worldpay have lower unit fees, but higher subscription/setup fees etc so it's really down to the figures.

When I first set up I went through all the options. Direct with HSBC would require huge setup costs. Sagepay required set up costs and a seperate merchant account which was itself full of terms that I just didn't want to accept. PayPal seemed the easy choice since it's free, or you can pay for the on-site payment flow.

Was thinking about integrating Google so keeping an eye on this thread.

@doodle - what's you're site mate? Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to share or if I can help with PayPal etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom