Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Having To Ring 123-Reg To Cancel Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I saw they emailed me today to say they've autobilled me for another year of hosting, hosting that is over-priced and that I don't want.

So I emailed them saying I didn't want it and Id like a refund.

They replied

To cancel the package, you'll have to contact our relations team on 0845 4502310 and select option 4. We staff our lines between 9 am and 5 pm Monday to Friday.

One of my colleagues from the proper department will help you further with this.

What..

Had to waste my time ringing them and be on hold for 10 minutes.

I asked why I had to ring them to cancel and they said to pass the security questions..

The security questions were my address and invoice number for the plan.. both are in the invoice in my email account, the email account i contacted them with, so if someone had access to my email account to email to ask to cancel the package, then they would also have access to the invoice, so security my ar**.

I think they only reason they make you ring is by adding an extra step in cancelling some people wont bother/have the time to sit on hold and they can get a bit of extra money.

123-reg are awful.

123-reg are also guilty of not actually registering domain names even when customers think they have regged them and billed them for it and also not cancelling domain renewals when customers have cancelled them.

I just opened a thread and got a call back

Their staff need training

Sounds better than the 'usual culprits' who only give you the options of a 'future date' to cancel anything at all! :D

Last edited:
I saw they emailed me today to say they've autobilled me for another year of hosting, hosting that is over-priced and that I don't want.

So I emailed them saying I didn't want it and Id like a refund.

They replied

What..

Had to waste my time ringing them and be on hold for 10 minutes.

I asked why I had to ring them to cancel and they said to pass the security questions..

The security questions were my address and invoice number for the plan.. both are in the invoice in my email account, the email account i contacted them with, so if someone had access to my email account to email to ask to cancel the package, then they would also have access to the invoice, so security my ar**.

I think they only reason they make you ring is by adding an extra step in cancelling some people wont bother/have the time to sit on hold and they can get a bit of extra money.

123-reg are awful.

Time to find a better host?

A simple ticket / email form works well for us. We understand that clients needs may change and they no longer need their account. And it isn't rocket science to work out if you make that experience as painless as possible, they're more likely to return in future.

Sounds better than the 'usual culprits' who only give you the options of a 'future date' to cancel anything at all! :D

Unfortunately the actions of a few of the big names give the rest of the industry a bad precedent...

Similar thing just happened to me.....Had a recent auto-renewal message for a POP3 box I'd set up a few years ago (before I knew how to do this myself, doh!). This is for a domain that is no longer even in my account, in fact I there are no domains left in my account as moved them all to Daily.

Tried to cancel the auto-renewal but of course their system doesn't let you, nor does it let you remove your card details from their account which I had already attempted to do via support.

Anyhow I sent them a message to cancel this auto-renewal last week. I didn't log in to check the response as I was busy and (in yet another failing of their system, they delete responses after 3 days). I assumed this would have been done however as it was a straightforward request via their own control panel (hence they can't site security issues!)

This morning I get another auto-renewal email telling me this POP3 box will be renewed TOMORROW. I was livid however the message did contain a link where I could allegedly cancel the service if it was no longer required. Attempted to do this and of course the link doesn't work! Was in the middle of sending an angry message to their support when 20 mins later my phone beeped and another email appeared telling me the service had already been renewed and I have been charged £12.67.....AAAARRGHHH!!!!

Got up early this morning to work and instead am in a burning rage and having my time wasted by these idiots.

Have sent a message to Richard on here, hope he can sort it out and issue a refund, if not I'll be contacting Trading Standards.

Similar thing just happened to me.....Had a recent auto-renewal message for a POP3 box I'd set up a few years ago (before I knew how to do this myself, doh!). This is for a domain that is no longer even in my account, in fact I there are no domains left in my account as moved them all to Daily.

Tried to cancel the auto-renewal but of course their system doesn't let you, nor does it let you remove your card details from their account which I had already attempted to do via support.

Anyhow I sent them a message to cancel this auto-renewal last week. I didn't log in to check the response as I was busy and (in yet another failing of their system, they delete responses after 3 days). I assumed this would have been done however as it was a straightforward request via their own control panel (hence they can't site security issues!)

This morning I get another auto-renewal email telling me this POP3 box will be renewed TOMORROW. I was livid however the message did contain a link where I could allegedly cancel the service if it was no longer required. Attempted to do this and of course the link doesn't work! Was in the middle of sending an angry message to their support when 20 mins later my phone beeped and another email appeared telling me the service had already been renewed and I have been charged £12.67.....AAAARRGHHH!!!!

Got up early this morning to work and instead am in a burning rage and having my time wasted by these idiots.

Have sent a message to Richard on here, hope he can sort it out and issue a refund, if not I'll be contacting Trading Standards.

Trading Standards are great at issuing slaps on the wrist and not a whole lot else.

Make your experience heard on these and other review forums. And move your business elsewhere.

Depending on the package / service you have, 123-reg may require to cancel the product over the phone. The retentions team will listen to the reason of cancellation, try to offer a solution and if none is available will process the cancellation. During the cancellation process we ask questions to help us understand what we can do better - if in this case price is considered to much, we will use that to help decide if we should introduce a lower priced package etc.

Some products, such as for stellar73, are purchased as a quota on an account. The product is assigned to the username and can be configured for use as required. In the case of an email address, the email quota is created as a billing item and the email address can be changed repeatedly to different domains as required. In a case such as this, where an account has no domains that can actively use the product, our team will process the cancellation.

123-reg has a very open policy, all services are set to auto-renew where payment can be taken. For domains you can set the auto-renewal methods online through the control panel, for other products these will require cancellation through our retentions team.

Murray - if you like I can bypass the retentions team and process the cancellation - please email me directly ([email protected]) and I will process for you. Include your username and ticket number.

stellar73 - I think we are sorted here however if any additional problems please drop me a line.

Richard.

Thanks Richard, I appreciate your help

(Richard has now arranged a refund for me so credit where credit's due)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom