Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Health Check

dee

Reaction score
Just a quick recommendation for anyone who fancies a health check. I just turned 48 and never go to the doctors unless a limb is missing. Sure there are plenty of you on here the same. I've also spent the last 20 odd years drinking far too much, and although I generally eat pretty healthy, I'll quite happily neck a greasy burger or a kebab every now and again.

Having spent the last year watching two family member disintegrate and pass, one from Cancer (F*** you cancer) and one from self-inflicted lifestyle choice I figured it's time to sort my shit out. Anyhow..... just did dry January and saw an advert for an online blood test . Gave it a go out of interest and actually discovered a load of interesting stuff out. Mostly that my i'm mostly okay and my liver is actually fine ( Hooray )

My point? It's a good thing to do and they test for loads. They also give pointers on what to do lifestyle wise to adjust the curves. All done via a real doctor without having to go through 'computer says no ' receptionist at your local GP.

It was half price for first one (£35) and ive subscribed. The company is called thriva and heres a link.

https://thriva.co/i/GRHT99L6QGE

That is obviously my 'invite a friend link' which helps with future costs.Either way i'm carrying on with it. Just type thriva.co if you're bothered about me getting anything from it. Sounds like a preach, but its genuinely a great service. It'll find stuff you don't know about but need potentially.

Rant over. Carry on.

I keep getting their adverts on FB and keep getting tempted. Like you i'd have to be half dead before someone got me to the doc's. I was forced to go about 6 years ago when i lost a load of weight for no apparent reason really quick, had every test under the sun and all came back clear. It's taken me 6 years to get back to that weight ( 13 stone ) even though I eat like a horse, I'm still convinced I've got some sort of allergy to something but I like my food to much............what if it was pizza or steak I'm allergic to ??? Id rather keep eating it and suffering :D

Jokes aside, what does it cover and test for ?

Jokes aside, what does it cover and test for ?
Okay.... so a quick copy/paste from my report

B12 (Total)
Ferritin
Folate
HbA1c

Lipid Profile -

Triglycerides
Cholesterol
LDL Cholesterol
HDL Cholesterol
Non HDL Cholesterol
Total Cholesterol/HDL Ratio
Triglyceride/HDL ratio

Liver Function
Bilirubin
Alkaline Phosphatase
Gamma GT
Total Protein
Albumin
Globulin
Alanine Transferase

Vitamin D

The good thing is, it explains what they all do, your level and normal range. What you need to do to fix any issues and general recommendations.

They also then offer related tests for your next 3 month test. So for example...i was slightly low Vit D so they suggest another test that may be related. It's an upsell, but fair enough, im interested so ill get it. The report seems to come from a real doctor (named). They also then offer things like thyroid and other major areas that can be life changing difficult if it goes pear shaped.

Another thing worth mentioning is that they send you the kit next day delivery and when you do your sample you send it back the same day in the prepaid bag supplied. Now I was expecting to have to just rub a drop of blood onto a swab or something but they send two little vials you need to fill. It's daunting when you first look but not bad to do at all and maybe took 20 drops total. They send 3 of that little push to spike your fingertip things. I needed to use the three of them.

No mention of checking PSA levels, which relates to prostate cancer, if that's not included in the kit, and you're aged 45+, you need to get a PSA test done at your doctors.

Last edited:
@dee, yeah, there are articles like those, and others which disagree, all swings and roundabouts really, it comes down to personal choice and family history of prostate cancer, if there's none in the family then chances are you'll be low risk and not get it, if there's a history of it, that obviously increases the risk factor.

In my case, my dad and grandad had it, so I've had a PSA test to put my mind at rest, and if I had elevated levels, I'd decide if it was worth getting anything done, but first look at any other possible things like urinary tract infections which can elevate the PSA levels, if ruling those out, then you can have an internal with the old finger up your jacksie for the doctor to feel the prostate, and see if it's enlarged, which can be an indicator of something wrong, then further examination.

If like on the screening example charts, without screening, 68 would be diagnosed with prostate cancer and 7 would die, with screening 88 diagnosed and 7 would die. Personally, I'd rather be diganosed one way or the other, then I could make decisions about if I wanted to be operated on, or leave it to luck and see if it doesn't turn to full blown cancer or spread elsewhere and kill me.

My grandad found out he had prostate cancer, that spread to his lungs, he died.

My dad also died of cancer aged 57, it was in almost everywhere in his body including prostate, lungs. From my point of view, in my early 50's and with the family history, I like to be in the know about prostate issues.

Last edited:
@sysreg

Yep totally agree. I'd rather be able to make an informed decision as well. I should get it done at my age. As you say, you're better of knowing where you stand. I was just pointing it out really.

I'm same age as @dee and was also thinking bout getting tests, heard the doctor and jeremy vine on radio 2 on Monday I think, well worth a listen.

Some results can look bad but when looked at as a whole, most were false positives, especially PSA, who knew riding a racing bike would show very high PSA?

Best of health to all.

I done it last week, results just came in. I'm low on Vit D ( which I always am ) and boader line Bad Cholesterol. Otherwise pretty average.

I done it last week, results just came in. I'm low on Vit D ( which I always am ) and boarder line Bad Cholesterol. Otherwise pretty average.

Sounds like they sent you my results. Think most people are low in Vit D. Not enough sun

Sounds like they sent you my results. Think most people are low in Vit D. Not enough sun

You're not wrong there, looking forward to the spring / summer where I can get out in the garden more :)

Another recommendation for Thriva here. I did one last August (haven't done another yet, no real reason to do it every 3 months as far as I can see unless there is something you want to monitor - going to do it yearly for now, I think). It was the height of summer, and I spend 6/7 hours a week outside running, yet my vit.D was on the low end of the acceptable range too, so I think it's definitely something that we should all consider.

I've felt shit health wise for the past 4 years, suffered from fatigue, very bad bloating to the point of dry heaving, mind fog, general apathy towards life; I felt so apathetic I couldn't even be bothered to go to the doctors to sort my health out

I got a new GF last year though and that gave me something to want to be better for

Went to the doctor last year in November, had a blood test, all they found was low vitamin D, I think it was 12 or 14, under 10 is quite dangerous and needs urgent attention, 20-30 low but ok, above 40 is about what you would want

Low vitamin D is linked to a lot of bad things, fatigue, depression, weak bones, low testosterone etc

Also i've been vegetarian for 10 years, I thought maybe I was lacking something from my diet which was also causing issues with the bloating etc, but it turned out it wasn't what I was missing, more what I was eating

Through going on a strict diet and then adding things back, I've learned I'm not good with wheat/gluten/yeast and maybe garlic

Anyway I've been taking a 3000iu vitamin D spray under my tongue since the start of December, I started off going two sprays for 6000iu for the first month though

I've cut out 95% of wheat/gluten/yeast from my diet and I feel like a new person

I've always been skinny but since the diet change I've gained 10lbs of healthy weight in the past 75 days

I have the energy to exercise now, I'm trying to walk at least an hour everyday, I'm jogging, push ups etc

I feel more positive, more motivated, better concentration

Mad what a difference vitamin D and a change of diet has done for me

@Murray Sounds like me, I found I had issues with yeast after going to one of these Allergy tester type things, turned out yeast, wheat, barley and whiskey I had strong reactions to.

I ended up taking some herbal tablets to reduce the levels in my blood ( but i think they contain garlic as ironically garlic is one thing that really helped control it ) after the doc's were useless. Same as you I started to gain weight after being skinny my entire life. Might give that Vit D spray a try though as I still get fatigued and a frustrated some days, maybe its the lack of Vit D

@Murray Sounds like me, I found I had issues with yeast after going to one of these Allergy tester type things, turned out yeast, wheat, barley and whiskey I had strong reactions to.

I ended up taking some herbal tablets to reduce the levels in my blood ( but i think they contain garlic as ironically garlic is one thing that really helped control it ) after the doc's were useless. Same as you I started to gain weight after being skinny my entire life. Might give that Vit D spray a try though as I still get fatigued and a frustrated some days, maybe its the lack of Vit D

I think living in the UK, unless you're spending a lot of your time outside in the summer (when there is sun) or going on holiday regularly it's very likely you have low vitamin D

You can't produce vitamin D via sun through a window

You can't produce vitamin D in the winter in the UK because sunlight doesn't contain enough UVB radiation between October and March

These are the vitamin D facts I've learned lol

I use this spray - https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/betteryou-dlux-3000-vitamin-d-oral-spray-60012895

In my personal experience it also boosts your libido because it helps increase your testosterone

Since getting my Thriva results yesterday I've been taking Vit D tablets but obviously 1 day isnt really enough to see a difference lol, Will get that spray now as well to see if that is any good

Since getting my Thriva results yesterday I've been taking Vit D tablets but obviously 1 day isnt really enough to see a difference lol, Will get that spray now as well to see if that is any good

I got prescribed tablets from the doctor but I hate swallowing tablets and the spray gets absorbed straight into your blood stream rather than needing to be digested, which if you don't have a good digestive system it's likely you wont get the full benefits

The doctor also prescribed me one month on 4000iu, but with the spray I was doing two sprays for 6000iu daily for the first month

Anything under 10,000 is apparently safe, at least for a period of time

If you're taking vitamin D it's also good to try and eat more foods with magnesium, I don't know the scientific wording but your body needs magnesium to use vitamin D effectively

I felt like I started to notice a difference after a couple of weeks, but I guess it all depends if you do have low vitamin D, how severe, the amount you're taking, if you're taking it in a tablet, spray or injection, if you have any other health problems etc etc

Yeah couple of years ago I was advised to take magnesium tablets but they gave me terrible guts, but certainly helped with energy. As with alot of this stuff i think you've got to find the right balance of everything.

One thing thats helped me alot, especially with putting on weight and controlling yeast levels is taking pro-biotics : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071Y1DHLY/?tag=acorn06-21

I was taking them every day at one point but I found if i took them 3 - 4 times a week and gave my guts a rest they worked better for me.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom