Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Health Check

The doctor also prescribed me one month on 4000iu

That's interesting the tabs im taking are 1000iu so realistically I could take a few a day, especially if like you say alot of the benefit is lost during digestion.

Yeah couple of years ago I was advised to take magnesium tablets but they gave me terrible guts, but certainly helped with energy. As with alot of this stuff i think you've got to find the right balance of everything.

One thing thats helped me alot, especially with putting on weight and controlling yeast levels is taking pro-biotics : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071Y1DHLY/?tag=acorn06-21

Yeah I've heard the tablets are harsh so I didn't want to even bother trying those lol I've just been trying to eat more magnesium rich foods, porridge for breakfast every day, bananas, pumpkin seeds

I've also got this spray https://betteryou.com/magnesium-oil-original-spray

It leaves your skin feeling tacky and horrible though so I usually use it 10 minutes before a shower. Gives you an interesting prickling sensation for a couple minutes after applying, apparently that's a sign you have low magnesium but I'm not sure if that's factual science.

I will try giving probiotics a shot, thanks

That's interesting the tabs im taking are 1000iu so realistically I could take a few a day, especially if like you say alot of the benefit is lost during digestion.

If you have a deficiency (maybe you should ask doctor for a blood test) then a lot of what you read online from medical studies and official bodies recommended 50,000 IU per week for 6-12 weeks to get back to good levels

I was taking 6k a day so 42,000 a week

It's hard to have any negative effects from vitamin D unless you're taking 10,000+ a day for months

I was actually well aware before the blood test I probably wasn't getting enough sun, over the summer last year id been trying to spend at at least 30mins sunbathing on the days there was sun

I think part of the problem is you store vitamin D in your fat, and I was so skinny even if I got enough sun in the summer I didn't have the fat to store if, if you're very slim too like you say it could also well be an issue for you

I had a heap of tests done at Derby University mostly related to my strongman training, but I recommend a Dexi Scan, they call them nuclear scales, they use x-ray tech to scan every gram of your body, they tell you precisely down to the gram how much fat, muscle, bone you have, even how heavy your organs are. They can isolate muscle wastage, so if one leg is weaker they can weigh the muscle in the leg and see if it needs attention.

If you upgrade they tailor an exercise program to correct imbalances and posture etc. Little things like using 1kg extra weight on the weak side makes the difference.

The basic you get a 2 scan deal for like £80, and you can do them a month apart or 6 months apart, to see the difference or weight loss, muscle gain, visceral fat loss etc.

I also use Medichecks for bloods too, not seen thriva :)

I had a heap of tests done at Derby University mostly related to my strongman training, but I recommend a Dexi Scan, they call them nuclear scales, they use x-ray tech to scan every gram of your body, they tell you precisely down to the gram how much fat, muscle, bone you have, even how heavy your organs are. They can isolate muscle wastage, so if one leg is weaker they can weigh the muscle in the leg and see if it needs attention.

If you upgrade they tailor an exercise program to correct imbalances and posture etc. Little things like using 1kg extra weight on the weak side makes the difference.

The basic you get a 2 scan deal for like £80, and you can do them a month apart or 6 months apart, to see the difference or weight loss, muscle gain, visceral fat loss etc.

I also use Medichecks for bloods too, not seen thriva :)

Sounds interesting , and doesn't seem that expensive @ 89 quid. Trouble is... do you want to be getting x rayed every couple months ? That in itself can be dodge.

Going back to Vitamin D. There's also a very strong correlation between Vit D and Multiple Sclerosis. If there is MS in the family history.... take Vit D.

Going back to Vitamin D. There's also a very strong correlation between Vit D and Multiple Sclerosis. If there is MS in the family history.... take Vit D.

Yeah, there's a strong link between MS and distance from the equator

ms.png

Great thread this, wish I'd seen it years ago.

Its all fascinating this stuff. If anyone is interested in Longevity stuff, check out telomerase and senescence. I reckon it won't be long before the ageing thing is pretty much cracked ( probably just after I pop my clogs going on previous luck ) Essentially telomeres are like aglets on the dna strand that protect the chromosomes ( the bits on the end that hold shoelaces together) Every time a cell divides they get shorter and more prone to error. Eventually, they fall off. If you can elongate them and clear out senescent cells, they think it's possible to elongate life by quite a stretch. Think they are already at 2x life in mice (from memory...)

My partner suffers from 'relapse and remitting' MS so this kind of test would bring back all sorts of random results given the meds she takes; I'll give it a go though. There is a massive correlation between MS and where in the world you live; she certainly suffers more in winter than summer, but ultimately MS can be a ticking time bomb that has no rhythm nor reason. Will never say a bad word about the NHS, they can be slow, they can seem incapable, but she depends on it, which unfortunately makes the "just move somewhere warm" suggestions challenging.

Best thread in ages. Thanks @dee, looks worth a go. And thanks everyone for sharing, I've been miserable all winter

Surprisingly, my Vit D came back at 40 which given how little of the outside world I see, was a shock. I'm going to start supplementing a little though, try and improve it.

All the rest in the middle of the green, with the exception of those related to Triglyceride/HDL, which puts me borderline Diabetic and the advice is "you may wish to consult your GP". Have to be honest, I have more sugar in my diet than I should, and my exercise is lacking, so if I tackle those, I'd hope this might reduce and will take another test in 6 months time. I was also impatient to take the test, which I did an hour or so after a high in sugar breakfast when they recommend fasting for 8 hours oops.

I credit my positive (and quite unexpected) results to drinking 2.2 litres of water, having a diverse diet (without thinking about it too hard), never drinking, and just being fortunate!

Surprisingly, my Vit D came back at 40 which given how little of the outside world I see, was a shock. I'm going to start supplementing a little though, try and improve it.!

What's the measurement of 40 in? is it ng/l or nmol/l?

40 would be fairly good in ng/l considering we're just about at the end of winter, but pretty deficient in nmol/l

vitamind.jpg

What's the measurement of 40 in? is it ng/l or nmol/l?

40 would be fairly good in ng/l considering we're just about at the end of winter, but pretty deficient in nmol/l

View attachment 2247
40.9 nmol/l so not great but in amber on their scale. Doesn't confirm what an acceptable dosage would be though.

Mine for Vit D was 31.3 nmol/L , so safe to say I needed to do something :D

That's veryyy low

That might be needing vitamin D injections territory of low, consult your Dr

I would get that spray I suggested and be doing 3 sprays under my tongue for 9000 a day (I know I've said a couple times but under 10,000 is considered safe) until I could see a Dr and see what they say

40.9 nmol/l so not great but in amber on their scale. Doesn't confirm what an acceptable dosage would be though.

Yours is about the same as mine, I would get on that spray, 2 puffs for 6000 a day, give it a month and see if you notice a difference

And more magnesium foods along with it

If no improvement come back and make another appointment with me in a month :D

vit d and magnesium spray are buy 1 get 1 half price at H & B, link in this thread.

My other half who hasn't been on here for ages, while laughing at Murrays post she said its more like mumsnet, also said I was going to get a body scan and she reminded me that Steven was a human powerhouse and I'd best just stand in front of the tv with the lights out no scan required :mad:

That's veryyy low

That might be needing vitamin D injections territory of low, consult your Dr

I would get that spray I suggested and be doing 3 sprays under my tongue for 9000 a day (I know I've said a couple times but under 10,000 is considered safe) until I could see a Dr and see what they say

Yeah I've been doing just that since the day after you mentioned it ( came next day via Amazon prime ). Thriva put me in the amber range ( only just ) so didnt think much of it other than obviously being quite low. I guess i should at least ask the doc :D Will phone Monday.

Something else I've via @Murray post. Didn't realise there was an upper limit for vits. I figured your body would just expel any excess

Yeah I've been doing just that since the day after you mentioned it ( came next day via Amazon prime ). Thriva put me in the amber range ( only just ) so didnt think much of it other than obviously being quite low. I guess i should at least ask the doc :D Will phone Monday.

I'm surprised they only shows as amber, everything you read online about vitamin D would say that's far too low

NHS vitamin D recommended levels are lower than the Vitamin D council

https://www.gwh.nhs.uk/media/223653/4-2-vitamin-d-guidance-feb-2016-ccg-v1-id-589240-.pdf

nhs.png

Vitamin D council

https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/for...n-blood-levels-and-sun-exposure/#.XI4hqyj7RnI

The Vitamin D Council recommends maintaining serum levels of 50 ng/ml (equivalent to 125 nmol/L*), with the following reference ranges:

• Deficient: 0-40 ng/ml (0-100 nmol/l)
  • Sufficient: 40-80 ng/ml (100-200 nmol/l)
  • High Normal: 80-100 ng/ml (200-250 nmol/l)
  • Undesirable: > 100 ng/ml (> 250 nmol/l)
  • Toxic: > 150 ng/ml (> 375 nmol/l)

US Government

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional/

us vo.png

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom