20i Domains

Is nominet going to sign up to ICANN ?

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by domaingenius, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. domaingenius

domaingenius Well-Known Member

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. Jac

Jac Active Member

I doubt if Nominet will be in a position to make any statement on this before they have been to the ICANN meeting in Marrakesh next week and discussed the issues. I'm sure they'll make their position clear after that.

Regards
    James Conaghan

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  4. Whois-Search

Whois-Search Retired Member

5. Whois-Search

Whois-Search Retired Member

Yes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

6. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

I've read the nom-announce email three times now and, while I understand what's happened, I've no idea what it means or what the implications are.

Perhaps someone in the know can tell me how it will affect me as:

- a .uk registrant

- a member of Nominet

7. Jac

Jac Active Member

As Nominet states; "It does not change our status, as a company independent of ICANN and the letters recognise that policy decisions and operations remain under local control" and this seems to imply that ICANN has softened its "we want to rule the world" approach and accepted that ccTLDs have a right to manage and control their own country codes.

It also seems that ICANN has now accepted that instead of trying to dictate to other countries and their registries, a spirit of cooperation is the way forward, and Nominet can now join The "country code Names Support Organisation" (ccNSO) which they were previously prevented from doing because of the ccNSO's bylaws.

Basically, it looks like Nominet is acknowledged by ICANN as the manager and controller of the .uk namespace and ICANN and Nominet acknowledge each other's rights in the bigger picture. Given the advent of the WSIS and the UN's IGF, I figure international cooperation can only be a good thing for a world wide web that's making the world a very small place indeed.

Regards
    James Conaghan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.