Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Is .uk the future?

Which should I use?

• .co.uk

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • .uk

Votes: 25 54.3%

• Total voters
Does anyone see a time in the future when a business would launch on .uk, without bothering to acquire the .co.uk? Basically, turning the tables on what is still still happening today.

I'd do it now if the name I wanted was available on .uk but not .co.uk and possibly also if the .co.uk was available (which I would secure and redirect).

You guys get the Nominet email today, about what they are doing to further push .uk adoption / awareness?

Would the Nominet person monitoring this thread please say "hello" :)

Does anyone see a time in the future when a business would launch on .uk, without bothering to acquire the .co.uk? Basically, turning the tables on what is still still happening today.

I did that when we rebranded the hosting/infra business to www.flx.uk ... we bought the .uk via SEDO, I think the previous owner is on acorn, forgotten who they were right now.

Just before launching the new brand though, we bought flx.co.uk from them too, just so "we had it". I'd say mainly out of fear... although we have had instances where people email @flx.co.uk when we've told them its @flx.uk... so having both has been important (and worthwhile).

Just my two pence.

The March data for New Zealand is now out (reminder: the .nz reservations ran out at 1pm NZ time on 30 March)
https://dnc.org.nz/node/1482

For the first time, monthly .nz increases outpaced .co.nz increases. Over 9,500 .nz were registered compared to 2,000 in January and 2,600 in February. That increase represents about 30-40% of the reserved .nz names (I don't have an exact figure, but I believe it was of the order of 15,000 reserved names).

In other words, between 3 and 4 out of every remaining 10 .nz that had been actively reserved (it was opt in not opt out) were taken up by the deadline. (I have no data on how many eligible .nz were taken up before March - it's impossible to separate those from the overall .nz registrations - so my figure is only for the reserved names that were still outstanding towards the end of the reservation period)

Overall, .nz now stands at 115,000 to 490,000 .co.nz so just .nz is 23% the size of .co.nz. And there's no more "help" on the horizon for .nz since it's a pure free-for-all just like .co.nz now.

And that 23% was achieved with much, much, much more communication to registrants than Nominet has bothered with. I lost count but I'm sure it must have been at least half a dozen individual emails for every eligible name (we've got 400+ domains so that was a crazy amount)

All of which makes grim reading for .uk.

57:43 is the vote for .uk now. I see strong interest in the LLLs on DL lately. Some solid sales there.

nhs.uk

It may be that nhs.uk is its own namespace, but where's the .co? It's not there, so nhs.uk is indadvertedly helping to build the .uk brand and does zippo for the .co.uk brand. Ditto police.uk and gov.uk.

nhs.uk

It may be that nhs.uk is its own namespace, but where's the .co? It's not there, so nhs.uk is indadvertedly helping to build the .uk brand and does zippo for the .co.uk brand. Ditto police.uk and gov.uk.

True, although those predate .uk itself i.e. there were gov.uk, police.uk etc. even when mere mortals could only reg .co.uk, .org.uk and .me.uk...

hi, yes, those domains have been in use for years...so they will help to encourage the young whatever.uk domains along to wider recognition, ie, the

nhs.uk
police.uk
parliament.uk
mod.uk

domains give a helpful start to whatever.uk

in my view

The .uk hasn't been around long so a couple of months makes a big difference. In two months our thoughts on the subject would be completely different if google/bbc/amazon/ebay ect moved to the .uk.
This has hit the nail on the head!
You need these "everyday websites" to start using the .uk and then just watch, the .uk will soon overtake the .co.uk. Then the prices for .uk's will go up in value. Even overtake those of the .co.uk in my opinion.
It may take a few years but once the big boys get the ball rolling things will change, especially if the BBC adopt the .uk, they are the real ones to watch for change!

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom