Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Is .uk the future?

Which should I use?

• .co.uk

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • .uk

Votes: 25 54.3%

• Total voters
Thinking about it. We've picked up about 200 already, evaluating the rest. Though unlike .co.uk it's not so clear cut who gets the .nz (or rather it is, but it's not always the .co.nz owner). So quite a few aren't reserved for us, and others are in "conflicted" state (i.e. multiple claims) and so not subject to the 30 March deadline.

10 votes for .co.uk with just 5 for .uk

This is a clear consensus for me. Things may change over the next year or two but right now it seems wise to stick with the .co.uk :)

I appreciate all the responses and thoughts on the future!

11 to 10 votes. See .uk may overtake by this afternoon ... :)

Edwin, please. We all know .KIWI is the future for New Zealand domains. ;)

http://www.domainanimal.com/kiwi-gains-170000-domain-registrations-in-two-weeks-yeah-right/

Thinking about it. We've picked up about 200 already, evaluating the rest. Though unlike .co.uk it's not so clear cut who gets the .nz (or rather it is, but it's not always the .co.nz owner). So quite a few aren't reserved for us, and others are in "conflicted" state (i.e. multiple claims) and so not subject to the 30 March deadline.

Well, the deadline's been and gone. Passed a few hours ago. It will be very interesting to see what happened to the .nz registration figures once we have updated stats for March. The DNC post the figures here a few days after the end of every month: https://www.dnc.org.nz/resource-library/statistics/90

I received 4 or 5 more reminder emails in the last few weeks, each of which was per domain not per registrant. On top of that, I also received 2 reminder emails from the registrar I was using to register the .co.nz that were entitled to the .nz (the latter emails may have been their decision to send, rather than mandated). Overall, there was an enormous amount of communication all the way through the two and a bit year process, and it puts Nominet's single email to one random email address associated with each registrant very much to shame.

And yes, we did register all of them in the end. We'll give it a spin for a year and see what happens.

Well, the deadline's been and gone. Passed a few hours ago. It will be very interesting to see what happened to the .nz registration figures once we have updated stats for March. The DNC post the figures here a few days after the end of every month: https://www.dnc.org.nz/resource-library/statistics/90

I received 4 or 5 more reminder emails in the last few weeks, each of which was per domain not per registrant. On top of that, I also received 2 reminder emails from the registrar I was using to register the .co.nz that were entitled to the .nz (the latter emails may have been their decision to send, rather than mandated). Overall, there was an enormous amount of communication all the way through the two and a bit year process, and it puts Nominet's single email to one random email address associated with each registrant very much to shame.

And yes, we did register all of them in the end. We'll give it a spin for a year and see what happens.

I've not been following the NZ journey, but how did the deadline pan out in terms of was there a mad registration frenzy, dac's going crazy etc? Important to understand the pattern for when the UK deadline arrives.

No idea. It was at 1am and I was asleep. The stats for March will show if anyone cared.

Remember, the deadline was only for those .nz that had been reserved for free by the owners with the rights to them. Those .nz that were never reserved or registered were already available to all over a year ago.

In other words the stuff that became available overnight was domains that were actively reserved, but where the reservation was not subsequently taken up. The reservation process was free, but opt-in not opt-out i.e. domain owners had to choose to do it.

Remember, the deadline was only for those .nz that had been reserved for free by the owners with the rights to them. Those .nz that were never reserved or registered were already available to all over a year ago.

As domain investors though, those are the domains we in the UK would be most interested in; those entitled by existing .co.uk owners, that don't take up the rights. Regardless of where .uk is in 2019, there is likely going to be a surge of buying when our deadline comes.

I should also note that the .nz market is very different to *.uk (much smaller and much sleepier). There are plenty of domains still available that would sell for high £xxx to £x,xxx in .co.uk. For example:
- actuary.nz
- advertisingagency.nz
- administration.co.nz/.nz
- anniversaries.co.nz/nz
- bands.nz
- bankaccounts.nz
etc.

TBH, everyone is going to have an opinion on .uk which waxes and wanes. I actually think now that .uk IS the future. If I'm right, there are bargains on DL every day. I've not put my money where my mouth is yet, but I might start pulling triggers soon.

I know you're going to disagree with me @Edwin, but you have to admit you also have a considerable vested interest in the .co.uk market. Have you exercised many/any .uk rights for your portfolio, or are you really determined to stick with your current tenet?

I have a considerable vested interest in not spending tens of thousands of pounds a year more on something that nobody seems much interested in. If you choose to interpret that as a vested interest in .co.uk that's your prerogative. I feel it's more of a pragmatic approach rather than an attempt to preserve the status quo. (It's hubris in any case to think that I have any influence over .uk take-up in the big wide world - I'm aware my opinion's utterly irrelevant to its success or failure.)

We have perhaps 30 .uk - I've not bothered to count them. We've only picked up the .uk of the domains that were very, very obvious, like Maps. That's not to say we won't be registering more (much more?) come 2019, but I see no point in flushing good money away before then.

I have a considerable vested interest in not spending tens of thousands of pounds a year more on something that nobody seems much interested in. If you choose to interpret that as a vested interest in .co.uk that's your prerogative. I feel it's more of a pragmatic approach rather than an attempt to preserve the status quo. (It's hubris in any case to think that I have any influence over .uk take-up in the big wide world - I'm aware my opinion's utterly irrelevant to its success or failure.)

We have perhaps 30 .uk - I've not bothered to count them. We've only picked up the .uk of the domains that were very, very obvious, like Maps. That's not to say we won't be registering more (much more?) come 2019, but I see no point in flushing good money away before then.

I'm not suggesting that you have a hubristic influence. I think your post is a little defensive. Having said that, your opinion is valued here and I mean no disrespect.

As domain investors though, those are the domains we in the UK would be most interested in; those entitled by existing .co.uk owners, that don't take up the rights. Regardless of where .uk is in 2019, there is likely going to be a surge of buying when our deadline comes.

I agree totally, there's going to be a hell of an opportunity in 2019, I expect activity here will be significantly higher. As time is passing by I grow more and more .uk positive. I've not approved of the original decision and been even less impressed with the way it was executed and the 5 year timeline but it's done now and I'm very clear that .uk is a better domain extension than .co.uk. It should always have been .UK. It's 3 characters less, its sharper, shorter, faster to type, less likely to get a typo, prettier. Millions of sites using .co.uk do so simply because they have UK owners not because they are a 'company' or are directly 'commercial'...so the .co is ...pah. I've no qualms about changing to acorndomains.uk but also see little driver to do so right now. I have some sites on .co.uk that I think would just look better on .uk e.g. streamTV gets traffic from UK, Spain, USA, Canada, Australia... with a 301 redirect why have the unusual, cumbersome and extra 3 characters that many other countries are not used to.

I agree totally, there's going to be a hell of an opportunity in 2019, I expect activity here will be significantly higher. As time is passing by I grow more and more .uk positive. I've not approved of the original decision and been even less impressed with the way it was executed and the 5 year timeline but it's done now and I'm very clear that .uk is a better domain extension than .co.uk. It should always have been .UK. It's 3 characters less, its sharper, shorter, faster to type, less likely to get a typo, prettier. Millions of sites using .co.uk do so simply because they have UK owners not because they are a 'company' or are directly 'commercial'...so the .co is ...pah. I've no qualms about changing to acorndomains.uk but also see little driver to do so right now. I have some sites on .co.uk that I think would just look better on .uk e.g. streamTV gets traffic from UK, Spain, USA, Canada, Australia... with a 301 redirect why have the unusual, cumbersome and extra 3 characters that many other countries are not used to.

I'm glad you typed all that, as I couldn't express my view more clearly than you have.

Now 16 to 16..... this is tighter than brexit.....oh no ...

P.s. For the avoidance of doubt, I will not be allowing a re-vote ;)

.uk for me, I've said a couple of times now if I was to launch a new brand right now it would be on a .uk over .co.uk. Migrating to a .uk from a .co.uk I wouldn't do just "because", id do because there was a compelling reason to do so........which I currently can't think of doing if I own both anyway.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom