Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet Foundation Trustees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Could someone please enlighten me. As I read it - http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/latest/?contentId=4822 - there are to be 6 Foundation Trustees.

There will be one Board member, one Nominet staff member, three appointed by way of the general advertisement and one Nominet member - also to be appointed.

So I think that the entire Board of Trustees is to be appointed - I assume by the Nominet Board. Am I reading it right?

Could someone please enlighten me. As I read it - http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/latest/?contentId=4822 - there are to be 6 Foundation Trustees.

There will be one Board member, one Nominet staff member, three appointed by way of the general advertisement and one Nominet member - also to be appointed.

So I think that the entire Board of Trustees is to be appointed - I assume by the Nominet Board. Am I reading it right?
...I think this might be of help:

http://www.veredus.co.uk/files/client/PACK_921723.pdf

Governance of the Foundation

The Foundation will be governed by a board of six Trustees - people with appropriate skills and experience. The Trustees will be made up as follows:

1. A Trustee who is also a Nominet Board member
2. A Trustee who is a member of Nominet's staff
3. A Trustee from the community of Nominet members
4. Three independent Trustees

One Trustee will initially be appointed by Nominet's Board as Chair of the Foundation.

and the job advert: http://www.veredus.co.uk/job-display.aspx?jobid=4070&selectionid=559cba35-dd06-4263-b72b-667b200e36a4

Regards,

Sneezy.

Indeed, thanks Sneezy. But how is the single Member Trustee to be chosen - I think it seems to be by the Board, rather than elected by the members.

Indeed, thanks Sneezy. But how is the single Member Trustee to be chosen - I think it seems to be by the Board, rather than elected by the members.
...I don't think any of the positions are to be elected by the members - see here:

Recruitment Package and indicative timetable

Remuneration
Unremunerated, expenses will be paid

Term of Service
3 years (tbc)

Indicative Timetable
Closing Date 28th March
Longlist Meeting w/c 7th April
Preliminary Interviews w/c 14th April and w/c 21st April
Shortlist Meeting w/c 5th May
Final Panel Interviews w/c 12th May or w/c 19th May

How to Apply
To apply for this post, please send in a detailed CV and a supporting statement that addresses the
appointment criteria in Part One of the person specification, quoting reference 6305.

Timing
The Foundation aims to distribute its first grants by end September 2008, following the submission to the Charity Commission by June 2008.

Timescales also look quite tight to have the trustees in place and make a submission to the Charity Commission by June 2008!

Regards,

Sneezy.

Filling in the application form

Person Specification
It is essential that in your written application you give evidence of examples of proven
experience in each of the following selection criteria listed in “Part One” of the Person
Specification. These responses will be further developed and discussed with those candidates invited for interview, together with other criteria listed in “Part Two”.

PART ONE

Essential Experience (selection criteria)

• Experience of successfully contributing to boards, committees or charitable organisations.
• Successful senior level management experience in the charitable or Internet sectors.
• Excellent communication and influencing skills.
• Experience of the governance requirements of a charity.

PART TWO

Personal Attributes and Skills

Applicants will be expected to display the following skills and qualities:

• Strong interpersonal skills.
• A commitment to the objectives of the Foundation and the ability to communicate effectively with
the key stakeholder groups
• An understanding of the aims of the Foundation and its partners i.e. research, academia and
Internet users and stakeholders
• An understanding of the aims, objectives, and vision of Nominet itself
• Ability, stature and personal authority to establish credibility with key stakeholders and be
respected by your peer group
• Ability to offer a challenging but supportive contribution, bringing own experience and expertise to
the Foundation
• A high standard of integrity, impartiality, transparency and objectivity.
• A ‘hands-on’, proactive approach, suitable for a foundation in a start-up phase.

Source: http://www.veredus.co.uk/files/client/PACK_921723.pdf

What can I put for: "Experience of the governance requirements of a charity" ?

Which Nominet members run a charity?

Last edited:
Regrettably I'm afraid to say that I have quite a bit of experience of charity governance! And I'm a Nominet member. :cool:

Although I've never run one.

If there were a salary, I'd apply. I feel bad for saying that, but it's true. :(
...To me it seems strange that for an organisation that is supposidly to be handing out around £5,000,000 per year, that the position of trustee is not to be paid in anyway of a salary of some kind. :???:

Can anyone answer if this is the norm for these types of positions and the responsibility they will hold?

Regards,

Sneezycheese.

...To me it seems strange that for an organisation that is supposidly to be handing out around £5,000,000 per year, that the position of trustee is not to be paid in anyway of a salary of some kind. :???:

Can anyone answer if this is the norm for these types of positions and the responsibility they will hold?

There is nothing in law to stop a charity paying its trustees a salary (provided that the charity's governing documents allow it).

However, generally speaking, charity trustees are unpaid (save for expenses, and I do mean expenses, not "nudge nudge wink wink expenses").

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom