Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Not Doing My Homework :-(

Reaction score
Being the impulsive type, I tend to make the odd mistake now again when investing in domains and I've registered many a duff name without first putting it through a spell checker! But today I think I've made a much bigger mistake and won a domain at auction that I've now discovered is trademarked in loads of categories, which therefore dramatically reduces it's potential use and value, probably makes it worthless, dunno I'm in shock at mo. Normally, I would not mind so much but this one is going to cost me £409!

I've had a few trademark issues before but nothing similar to this and I was wondering if anybody had any positive advice :) Or am I screwed ??? The domain is TheCloud(dot)uk

I'm dumb I don't know anything about legal stuff, but as long as no one has "the cloud" for Class 35 electronic data storage you should be ok right? "the cloud" I thought was a generic term rather than a brand

TheCloud.net, TheCloud.com, TheCloud.co etc seem to have different registrants

I'm dumb I don't know anything about legal stuff, but as long as no one has "the cloud" for Class 35 electronic data storage you should be ok right? "the cloud" I thought was a generic term rather than a brand

There are trademarks for this using class 35.

This means they're really your only prospective buyer, and they could possibly just take it from you if you put a for sale landing page. I mean what else could one really use thecloud.uk for?

I'm not 100% on this and I think it maybe a bit of a grey area that needs careful navigation.
There are trademarks for this using class 35.

This means they're really your only prospective buyer, and they could possibly just take it from you if you put a for sale landing page. I mean what else could one really use thecloud.uk for?

My intention was to brand it as a hosting provider for SEO Friendly Managed Wordpress Sites for companies who's target audience/niche is predominantly the UK market. This is an area I'm interested in and compliments what I plan to do in terms of adding value to my domains by designing and selling Ready-2-Go Starter Brands ( with domain ) and I was toying with the idea of offering managed wp hosting with each brand package. Bit more to it but that's what my thoughts were. Think I allowed myself to get distracted. There probably is a path to a conflict free use somewhere. I'll have look into in more detail. Thanks for your feedback.

That's an image

??

upload_2019-7-23_17-1-33.png

upload_2019-7-23_17-1-18.png

Wouldnt those trademarks be for the specific logo? I would have though the term 'the cloud' is far too generic. Its like saying electricity or gas isnt it ?

Am I being thick ? Is this trademark just for the image of their Logo and not for the list of products and services ? Surely not. I'm pretty sure it covers "The Cloud" for all those products and services listed on the IPO Gov site. Yeppo, I'm screwed ;-)

Your worrying about nothing. Give it 12 months some start-up or a redundant IT consultant wanting to set up on their own will buy it off you.
Hope so ;-) My concern comes from some previous fallout from inadvertently registering a few names that overlapped with those from other companies/organisations. For example, one Christmas I had a looney-hulk-type guy from a cult, hammer the hell out of my front door and damanded I sign a contract a contract, accept £250 and hand over the offending domain! I've also had Amazon on my case in the early days when I wanted to create a series of adventure tourism sites that focused on places like the Nile and the Amazon river! I had done nothing wrong and they were being over zealous but I still got several crappy letters from their lawyers. These days I'd rather avoid the hassle. But yes I guess I'm over-worrying a bit. Just need to rethink it's use a bit. Thanks everyone for your feedback and advice.

Being the impulsive type, I tend to make the odd mistake now again when investing in domains and I've registered many a duff name without first putting it through a spell checker! But today I think I've made a much bigger mistake and won a domain at auction that I've now discovered is trademarked in loads of categories, which therefore dramatically reduces it's potential use and value, probably makes it worthless, dunno I'm in shock at mo. Normally, I would not mind so much but this one is going to cost me £409!

I've had a few trademark issues before but nothing similar to this and I was wondering if anybody had any positive advice :) Or am I screwed ??? The domain is TheCloud(dot)uk
I think whoever bought insure.uk has blown £11k as the trademark and business belong to Hastings Direct - so you got away lightly.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom