Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Org.uk domains, legally o.k to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
May sound silly, but i am working with a company who have heard from their "head of online" that org.uk's cannot be used for commercial sites. Whilst i know there is something about this and thats their original intention, is it a legal thing or a recommendation.

I am waiting to speak to a Nominet lawyer but i wondered if anyone could clear it up as it is causing me some issues.

Thanks

Rob

According to Wikipedia:

The intended restriction of .co.uk to companies is purely nominal; in practice it is open to any and all applicants. Likewise, whilst .org.uk is for organizations, there are no restrictions on registering domains. While .me.uk originally had no restrictions on registrants it has since been tightened up to require registrants to be natural persons (i.e. not companies, etc).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.uk

4.4 We do not impose restrictions on your status as applicant for the registration of a Domain Name in the following SLDs ("Open SLDs"):

1. 4.4.1 .co.uk; or
2. 4.4.2 .org.uk.

In the SLD Charter of the SLD Rules for the Open SLDs we do set out certain intentions regarding the class of applicant or use of registrations of the Domain Name which we assume you will comply with when applying for a registration of a Domain Name within an Open SLD. However, we do not forbid applications, and will take no action in respect of registrations that do not comply with the SLD Charters.

I think that answers it :confused:

Grant

Kinda Like Crossing the Road not at traffic lights, its illegal and carries a £60 fine, and police can arrest you, but none ever do.

That's the one, thanks Grant and everyone else who posted :)

No problem, it does also say this though:

#
Specific Rules for registration in the .org.uk SLD

8.1 Introduction

These are the specific rules for the .org.uk SLD, administered directly by us. They form part of and, in the case of conflict, take precedence over the Rules.

8.2. SLD Charter

Registrants in .org.uk are intended to be not-for-profit or public service enterprises, and a Third Level Domain within this SLD is intended to be related to these enterprises and their activities. These may include, as non-exhaustive examples, charities, trades unions, political parties, community groups, educational councils, and professional institutions.

Grant......................

The keyword in the above is "intended". ...... Not "must"

It would impact sales if they didn't allow .org.uk to be used for commercial purposes. Also, it would create problems with existing sites. There's nothing to worry about, in my view.

I remember reading AUDA (.au) cancelling a whole bunch of org.au's owned by one Registrant because it was deemed to be a commercial enterprise. Not sure to what extreme Nominet would take things as AUDA are very strict.

I have Solicitor contact at Nominet if you have no joy seeking a clarification.

It's actually a very good question and I would also be interested to know the layman's answer by Nominet.

Dont ask too many questions or those T's and C's might just get changed! LOL

They seen okay atm...

Dont ask too many questions or those T's and C's might just get changed! LOL

Its a good point in a way, much like 'what if Tuvalu sinks' with .TV

Then you are into the realms of risk / reward....!

It it went badly, I don't think nom would risk making it retrospective so only new regs from the day it came into force would be at immediate risk.

Looking at these numbers http://www.nominet.org.uk/intelligence/statistics/registration/registrationsarchive/ they would be potentially be throwing away a million or 2 a year on new regs, and several million on existing regs.

Ty posted a link, for the total doms regged but I can't find it, it was 5-600,000, so without guessing how many are legit, its potentially millions per year if they cut it retroactively.

Remember that surplus ?, They like their big wages don't they :p

Skinners right. They would have to start with new regs. There is no way on earth they would be able to have a call back because their own t&c's leaves the barn door wide open and what would follow would be a lot of time spent in court.

Skinners right. They would have to start with new regs. There is no way on earth they would be able to have a call back because their own t&c's leaves the barn door wide open and what would follow would be a lot of time spent in court.

The T&C most probably would not change retrospectively, but might include “change of ownership” clause which would wipe-out the sales potential. But I don’t think this would happen, to much money would be lost for the Nominet itself (registrations, renewals, transfers, etc.). So I don’t think it’s a good business decision for them as well.

Use those .org.uk's how you want. There's a lot of confusion about what a 'not for profit' organisation is because the phrase is taken at face value. In reality, you can make as much paper profit as you want, 'not for profits' generally dont pay dividends to shareholders, that's it. You can rack up those reserves just the same as nominet.org.uk do, you can pay thumping fat salaries to the directors, just like nominet.org.uk do. And yes, you can pay yourself bonuses....

I have Solicitor contact at Nominet if you have no joy seeking a clarification.

It's actually a very good question and I would also be interested to know the layman's answer by Nominet.

I rang them a couple of years ago to hear from horse's mouth, and they said absolutley no probs, use for what you want.
Just ask in an email and get in print if anyone is that concerned.
Theyve been around for as long as .co.uk with no problems so why people would start worrying is beyond me
Lets face it, nominet are becoming more commercial not otherway round
After selling off the 1 and 2 characters they'll be getting the kitchen sink out :cool:

AUDA cancelled those org.au's just recently (2009/2010?), so it would have been a decision out of left field considering the length of time they have been made available to register. Not sure if the terms were updated. I think the owner claimed he had lost A$100K worth of investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom