Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

SMS.co.uk back up for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Over estimated value? Under sold? Too High a reserve? either way its back on the market

If they pulled their finger out they could have had esms.co.uk today for a fiver ;)

I know this isn't strictly continuing the thread...

The biggest world wide membership of a consumer sms club is www.sms.ac. They allow free texts in return you sign up to clubs which cost 50p per text, or similar. This guy has made a killing. Now either which way, if you set something up at www.sms.co.uk i have no reason why it couldn't work in the UK. Your £100k could be recouped over time and the value of the domain as a business increases also.

This interests me because I looked at buying it a while ago, for a little under the £100k asking ;-) , but the guy I spoke with said something like half a mill.

I agree, it ain't worth what they are asking, thats why it hasn't sold, and if they are talking with big telecoms players, then they know the sms market better than anyone.

Why spend £100k on sms.co.uk when I am sure the new owner of esms.co.uk would accept a tenth of that, leaving more budget for marketing / development ;)

The guy who's orchestrating the sale of this sms.co.uk is a bit of a prat! - have you seen his website, looks like he's still in primary school. Anothercase of an over inflated self valuation.

Incidently, I've just put one of my houses up for sale. The valuations came in at £152,000, £155,000 & £159,500. I beleive that if you knock it down and build a shopping center it could be worth £10 million, so I've whacked it up with sedo for offers over £5million and I'll be seriously offended if anyone offers me a penny less....

What is sms.co.uk actually worth? I'd have taken £10K (possibly less).

If you wanted a domain for a text message based business, then sms.co.uk would be good, but not £100K good. For £5 you can have any domain name, so long as you can think of something new.
I just had a go and came up with textlife.co.uk I thought it was quite catchy, easy to spell and remember. Five minutes work.

The website (www.sms.co.uk) hardly screams "professional" when they've stuck a Google Adwords box down the side.

Also it doesn't mention the type in traffic stats (which would only really be relevant for the dates before the sale was announced because the sale will attract more traffic).

I'm thinking maybe more than £10k, but not that much. And certainly nowhere near £100k.

Why would any of the big telcos be interested? They've already got their own domain names and brand identities.

The words "hot" and "air" spring to mind :cool:

I largely agree. A £10k name imo. I don't think that a crucial sector, kids, use the term 'SMS' all that much.

Last edited:
10K?? textlife.co.uk??

Incidently, I've just put one of my houses up for sale. The valuations came in at £152,000, £155,000 & £159,500. I beleive that if you knock it down and build a shopping center it could be worth £10 million, so I've whacked it up with sedo for offers over £5million and I'll be seriously offended if anyone offers me a penny less....

SMS.co.uk is not the only one that could be discribed as deluded.....

Firstly valuations on property have evolved over decades and professional qualifications are required.

Equally the revenue potential of either a property or domains can be significant...... As an example, a piece of land in quiet Lancashire had planning consent, the only problem to bungalows had to be purchased for access. The first bungalow sold for market value 200k the second held out and got over 600k..... was it true value?? i guess not! somone else thought it was!

I may not be the biggest fan of SMS.co.uk but to suggest 10K or a likeness to textlife is totally bizzare. Its no wonder so many crépe names have been registered, the registrars are have a laugh! and the mugs continue to renew their reg fees

It all may only be opinion but the fact is none of us have "qualifcation" or standards to quantify the suggestions on value....... If that guy had made his money would have been screaming great!! Domain prices on the rise and we could have all make more money...... Well perhaps only those with domains of real worth.... And lets face the market that really matters is the US market the uk market is pigeon feed comapred.

I say Olebean did you actually read any of the previous posts, before sounding off.

The point was that textlife.co.uk was £5, not £10K or £100K. I sell a lot of domain names and I would have counted myself very lucky to get £10K for sms.co.uk
(I did register textlife.co.uk and I expect that it will sell. £100 maybe)

FC Domains said:
I say Olebean
:)

He missed a similar point about esms being regged for a fiver as well :(

I am not sure its fair to say that some people cannot judge value, I would prefer to know the opinions of people who have a history of sales and brokering in .uk than those who have not.

The .com market is mature, top names going for top prices and little room to get top names without paying top whack. UK is different in that respect as there are still bargains to be had, plus ability to register good names for a fiver.

As for sms.co.uk , if you were the owner I think it was worth a punt at end user marketing , but I would say 25k would be a decent end user price for it, and around £10k resale, but if approaching large corp's why not ask 100k :)

lol thanks guys but its not me that doesn't get it

sms.co.uk despite its lack of global appeal is academically generic any ole domain for £5 is just not the same! One advert, an hour in a study attempting to create global appeal on a none generic name would cost more than 10k.

The bigger problem with sms.co.uk is that it isn't the key to global success or there are potentially huge question marks of it..

I do agree with Robs comment
The .com market is mature, top names going for top prices and little room to get top names without paying top whack

Corporates are increasing finding it difficult to establish a collection of domains... That begs the question as to whether that is stalling domain prices and or sales...its not as if they can purchase a bogof

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom