Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

The UK ROR 'WHO GOT WHAT?' thread

Just out of interest, people talking about going early, was it just luck, or was there method to working out how early to go? Is there a way of seeing the actual create time on these from the return response ? Not that it will affect anything now of course.

My approach was to have a process that continually rinsed the DAC with my list of names that I wanted to target. I connected it early and kicked this process off about 10 seconds before the deadline. It would examine the responses back and begin registration when it saw ANY name registered. That's how I kicked mine off every day. If my system didn't spot a name that was registered it would kick off registration at the server time of 13:59:59 regardless, this was in case the DAC didn't give me anything useful.

I did that all week until Friday, at which point decided to trim it down to just one name that I knew would be snapped up at the earliest opportunity which was 'z.uk', that worked pretty well.

This approach worked all week for me to guarantee that at least I didn't go early and that it at least tried to catch some names.

However, I did have a slip-up on Thursday, because I edged the start time to a fixed 4 seconds before the 14:00 instead of using the DAC process. I did this cause my logs showed the DAC was indicating that names had been registered that much earlier. Foolish mistake cause my code fired early and I didn't make it clever enough to stop and wait until 14:00 if it fired too early.

Today I registered

GreenAir
GreyWolf
EnglishRose
AceGroup
CreativeMinds
BigIdeas
Blueridge
BespokeDisplays

I had about 20 others I was thinking about but I've already registered over 110-120 .uk now and it's getting silly

If you want to make me an offer on any then go ahead :cool:

Today I registered

GreenAir
GreyWolf
EnglishRose
AceGroup
CreativeMinds
BigIdeas
Blueridge
BespokeDisplays

I had about 20 others I was thinking about but I've already registered over 110-120 .uk now and it's getting silly

If you want to make me an offer on any then go ahead :cool:

Still some nice things to pick up then like Bigideas and Creative Minds

I hand registered these few.

Suggitt.uk
MultiuseGamesArea.uk
MultiuseGamesAreas.uk
CablePulling.uk
PositiveInputVentilation.uk

Regged:

bandicoot.uk (animal, catchy)
hyaluronicacid.uk (popular skin serum)
feverpitch.uk (brandable)
mangosteen.uk (fruity and brandable!)
skinpeel.uk (popular skin treatment)
sealion.uk (nice and short, animal)
redpanda.uk (you get the idea)

Last edited:
As an Arsenal supporter, I'd say there might be interest out there for Feverpitch, after Nick Hornby's book and the films.

As an Arsenal supporter, I'd say there might be interest out there for Feverpitch, after Nick Hornby's book and the films.

Cheers! I had nothing specific in mind with it, as with the others, but I was surprised in each case that they were available so thought I'd snap them up and see what happens.

Just out of interest, people talking about going early, was it just luck, or was there method to working out how early to go? Is there a way of seeing the actual create time on these from the return response ? Not that it will affect anything now of course.

Here's an interesting couple of responses from my testing on from the testbed.

2019-06-20 20:09:59.9707052 after reg write

2019-06-20 20:10:00.0185881 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<epp xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:epp-1.0"
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.nominet.org.uk/epp/xml/epp-1.0 epp-1.0.xsd">
<response>
<result code="1000">
<msg>Command completed successfully</msg>
</result>
<resData>
<domain:creData
xmlns:domain="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:domain-1.0"
xsi:schemaLocation="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:domain-1.0 domain-1.0.xsd">
<domain:name>modinephotography.uk</domain:name>
<domain:crDate>2019-06-20T20:10:00</domain:crDate>
<domain:exDate>2020-06-20T20:10:00</domain:exDate>
</domain:creData>
</resData>
<extension>
<warning:ignored-field field-name="domain:authInfo"
xmlns:warning="http://www.nominet.org.uk/epp/xml/std-warning-1.1"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.nominet.org.uk/epp/xml/std-warning-1.1 std-warning-1.1.xsd">
Field 'authInfo' found; this field has been ignored.
</warning:ignored-field>
</extension>
<trID>
<clTRID>uk11</clTRID>
<svTRID>15536458363</svTRID>
</trID>
</response>
</epp>

2019-06-20 20:10:00.0197344 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<epp xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:epp-1.0"
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.nominet.org.uk/epp/xml/epp-1.0 epp-1.0.xsd">
<response>
<result code="1000">
<msg>Command completed successfully</msg>
</result>
<resData>
<domain:creData
xmlns:domain="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:domain-1.0"
xsi:schemaLocation="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:domain-1.0 domain-1.0.xsd">
<domain:name>modinshu.uk</domain:name>
<domain:exDate>2020-06-20T20:09:59</domain:exDate>
</domain:creData>
</resData>
<extension>
<warning:ignored-field field-name="domain:authInfo"
xmlns:warning="http://www.nominet.org.uk/epp/xml/std-warning-1.1"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.nominet.org.uk/epp/xml/std-warning-1.1 std-warning-1.1.xsd">
Field 'authInfo' found; this field has been ignored.
</warning:ignored-field>
</extension>
<trID>
<clTRID>uk21</clTRID>
<svTRID>15536458364</svTRID>
</trID>
</response>
</epp>

Cheers

not quite sure what to look at though, Theres the

2019-06-20 20:10:00.0185881 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>

But thats the time the message is logged isnt it ? the "20:10:00.0185881" i ,mean.

Then theres :

But that only gives to nearest second. Or am i being a daft ?

@dee
Heres what that testing told me.

2019-06-20 20:09:59.9707052 after reg write
If on an unloaded (probably only me using it) testbed server i send a batch of registration requests 30 ms before the minutes end.

The first reply I get back is at : 2019-06-20 20:10:00.0185881
and the domain shows
<domain:exDate>2020-06-20T20:10:00</domain:exDate>

However the next reply I get back is at: 2019-06-20 20:10:00.0197344
and that domain shows
<domain:exDate>2020-06-20T20:09:59</domain:exDate>

So what do I deduce from that,
1. on an unloaded testbed server it takes about 30ms to register a domain.
2. the creation time is defined near the end of that process.
3. The second response shows we were pretty damn close to the cut off between 9.59 and 10.00

Reactions: dee
So what do I deduce from that,
1. on an unloaded testbed server it takes about 30ms to register a domain.
2. the creation time is defined near the end of that process.
3. The second response shows we were pretty damn close to the cut off between 9.59 and 10.00

Aaaaahhhh ... so two requests dealt with in pretty much 30ms dead.

I guess its server / location dependant as well. And.... whatever the clock difference is via NTP.

EDIT..... couldnt that mean that 2nd domain could have been created up to .5 secs later depending on round up/down to whole second?

Last edited:

Same results with just 1 request.

I guess its server / location dependant as well. And.... whatever the clock difference is via NTP.
Not so much, the (2019-06-20 20:09:59.9707052 after reg write), is after the write request has completed. Yes transit times will change the result timing marginally but if you know your roundtrip time you can always filter that out.
NTP yes, but we know nominet sync to NTP so if we have sync too best we can do.

EDIT..... couldnt that mean that 2nd domain could have been created up to .5 secs later depending on round up/down to whole second?

Considering the period from write to reply is only 0.031 secs long, and given the start time it actually shows they don't round up.

Last edited:

Same results with just 1 request.

Not so much, the (2019-06-20 20:09:59.9707052 after reg write), is after the write request has completed.
NTP yes, but we know nominet sync to NTP so if we have sync too best we can do.

Considering the period from write to reply is only 0.031 secs long, and given the start time it actually shows they don't round up.

Thank you. Makes sense.... so much to learn

EDIT.. OF COURSE !! The response is to a batch, not one at a time.

I only ended up with two, but didn't go for many.. RealityTV.uk and RoyalFlush.uk . They're not single word domains of course, but in their own way I think they have a decent amount of potential.

I Like RoyalFlush.uk... I caught FullHouse.uk .....But a royal flush beats a full house :(

Unless we are playing Bingo :)

Last edited:
I Like RoyalFlush.uk... I caught FullHouse.uk .....But a royal flush beats a full house :(

Don't worry, I'll sit this hand out :D. You can take on Flush.uk. Anything below that is.... bog standard *I'll get my coat*

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom