Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

UK domain whois Privacy price question

Reaction score
How much should a UK domain privacy service cost?

I had originally thought £2.99 but soon changed this to 0.99p

My question is, is 0.99p too much?

I understand that if someone requests to contact an owner for say a legal reason, and you have to manually forward this it may cost more than 0.99p in time, but that will surely be offset by the people who don't get any at all. Thats why I think the price is ok.

Any ideas?

Would you not use like us whois do where you create a [email protected] email which is unique and forwards directly ? which could negate the cost of manual intervention ?

I would also look at a company if they offered me the option to pay per account, rather than 99p per domain, £12 per year per contact name or some other sort of bulk option. Always annoys me when I have to pay per domain. Saying that I only have .com's hidden in certain niches.

I think the issue is paper documents. Presumably those would end up at the privacy service’s address not that of the ultimate owner, as the latter is hidden. Some law firms still go in for paper, for instance, as do HMRC (if that were ever relevant).

Even if only 1 in 100 customers ever received paper docs, it would still be costly to process them.

Excellent points thank you.

The email we ruled out due to holding data which links to an individual and can be used in other web sites etc. Wanting to reduce the places we hold data.

I’m happy for every domain under an account to be covered, that’s how we have it now, we don’t fork it to a new account. So one fee could cover thousands.

The paper does concern me but as it’s not a service address we’re offering, just a blanking out of the registrants address with ours I’m hoping that will do. I will add something to the terms now though so thank you very much.

I asked here as I thought about making it free but now see with your comments that best to have some sort of charge.

Thanks for the comments, anything I can ever do if anyone please let me know.

No I won’t fxuk off :)

You could have a chat to scanmypost, and see about a bulk fee, will be some leg work should any mail be received. Assuming you have a physical address, maybe list the address

Include DomainName
Domain Name
Your Address
Post-Code

That way you can whizz through it, for legal stuff everything else discarded.

What I can tell you is I have about 400 names .com/.uk/mobi/tel pointed to my smp address, and I've only ever gotten DRS notices, never anything else.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom