Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

UK Leaves the EU - What happens next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
their (Gove and Johnson) body language on Friday at their conference was quite strange I thought, i.e. looked like they won something that they didn't ever wish to win in the first place. Just my opinion.

I think there's some truth in that. Especially with Gove and IDS being two of the most disliked tories.

Also, Corbyn had been euro sceptic for decades....they flipped him, and now he's the lab scapegoat.

Can't trust any of them.

The reality is the referendum result is not legally binding, of course going against it would have a price. Merkel has said things shouldn't be rushed, read into things deeper, article 50 may never be activated, behind the scenes you can bet they will be looking for a work around. Cameron has bought time, time to find a way around it. This isn't a foregone conclusion. I would be disgusted if they try and worm out of it. The fact the leave party want to distance Farage is worrying, he would ensure it goes through, he was a big part of it and now the conservatives want their own agenda, that can't be allowed to happen.

I have no doubt there are going to be alot of twists and turns in this, sadly all it has done is cause resentment, Cameron made the decision to allow the referendum it should have been on his head to activate article 50 immediately, they make be looking for a side door here.

Will never be pulled? Jeez, looks like the remainers are into conspiracy theories again. Too many puffs of the Glastonbury woodbines :oops:

It's over, accept it.

There is only one way it will never be activated and that is if the EU collapses before it is called. It will be called, probably on the 31st of December. We will leave 2 years later on January 1st 2019.

There is no need to unpick any rules or legislation before we quit by the way. It stays on the books and it will be unpicked over the coming decades. It will be un-legilsated in order of importance. It just won't ever be enforced by the EU courts.

To say we need to get it off the law books is crazy, there are thousands of medevil laws on there that the modern courts ignore everyday. Like the guy that tried to fight the DVLA using 12th century rules allowing him to unarmed combat over a parking ticket.

Cl3-0CdWMAAQovV.jpg

Source: https://twitter.com/RichardDavies06/status/747033293607026688

Will never be pulled? Jeez, looks like the remainers are into conspiracy theories again. Too many puffs of the Glastonbury woodbines :oops:

I hardly think conspiracy theories are the sole preserve of the remain campaigners ... remember last Thursday when the leave campaigners were being told to mark their crosses with a pen as otherwise they would be rubbed out?

But anyway ...

I really do think that we all have the right for a general election.

Leave won, but neither side were a political party, and now we have the prospect of a new Tory leader and possibly a new labour leader.

While the referendum was on the manifesto of the Conservatives at the last election, there were no promises about what would happen if we did leave. Surely we have a right to choose those that are taking us through the leave process?

That is something that I always agreed with. None of the leavers could ever stand on a platform of what would happen after because none had a mandate. All I ever said the referendum was about was making the next general election matter.

If someone stands for full unlimited immigration, let them stand for it and take the glory or the fallout. If someone stands for zero immigration then let them stand and take either the glory of the fallout.

The next general election will genuinely matter, that was what Brexit was all about.

Saw this asked elsewhere but not answered yet

"Genuine constitutional question: Can a prime minister trigger article 50 without parliamentary approval?"

Any ideas?

Saw this asked elsewhere but not answered yet

"Genuine constitutional question: Can a prime minister trigger article 50 without parliamentary approval?"

Any ideas?

Yes, it can be done by decree or proclamation by a national leader.

If someone stands for full unlimited immigration, let them stand for it and take the glory or the fallout. If someone stands for zero immigration then let them stand and take either the glory of the fallout.

I am not criticising someone's right to vote for a party that makes promises on immigration reduction, but I hope that if we do have an election, we would be voting on a wider range of issues.

I am not criticising someone's right to vote for a party that makes promises on immigration reduction, but I hope that if we do have an election, we would be voting on a wider range of issues.

Yep totally, I just grabbed one subject at random but of course there will be others.

• Agree
Reactions: VSC
I hardly think conspiracy theories are the sole preserve of the remain campaigners ... remember last Thursday when the leave campaigners were being told to mark their crosses with a pen as otherwise they would be rubbed out?

But anyway ...

Leave won, but neither side were a political party, and now we have the prospect of a new Tory leader and possibly a new labour leader.

While the referendum was on the manifesto of the Conservatives at the last election, there were no promises about what would happen if we did leave. Surely we have a right to choose those that are taking us through the leave process?
If there is an election the tories would win a landslide surely.
Unless the liberals offer of getting back into Europe got all the remainers.

If there is an election the tories would win a landslide surely.
Unless the liberals offer of getting back into Europe got all the remainers.

I am wondering whether we are due a major re-making of the UK political landscape. There has already been talk of some new political parties being formed, and with the number of disaffected MPs in all parties, I do really believe that may be a possible future.

If we could combine that with some form of proportional representation ... who knows.

The referendum is bringing in to play many "hidden" issues that may have major repercussions for the current political system - which may be no bad thing.

I am wondering whether we are due a major re-making of the UK political landscape. There has already been talk of some new political parties being formed, and with the number of disaffected MPs in all parties, I do really believe that may be a possible future.

If we could combine that with some form of proportional representation ... who knows.

The referendum is bringing in to play many "hidden" issues that may have major repercussions for the current political system - which may be no bad thing.
I think you may well be onto something here.

What happened last Thursday was like hitting the reset button on politics in this country.

I think people are ready for a change in party politics.

• Agree
Reactions: VSC
Bit of light hearted crowd gathering on Facebook put a smile on my face, no doubt will be viral before long but got to love the spirit instead of the doldrums of this place. If you're over sensitive the occasional swear word..........best not to read any further buttercup.

Right. Fuck this. We're ALL up shit creek and we need a paddle. Now, not in three months.

Fellow Remain voters: Enough already. Yes, we're all pissed off but navel gazing ain't gonna help. Not all 17 million Leave voters can possibly be racist northern pensioners without an O level to their name. Maybe they have a point about this quitting the EU thing? Maybe not. Whatever, we are where we are and no amount a whinging is gonna change that. Allegedly we're the intelligent ones, so get your thinking caps on.

Leave voters. Well done. Good game. We hear you. Now you need to get stuck in to the aftermath and not just piss off back to Wetherspoons. (Just banter, twats!). And the first person to say they "want their country back" gets deported to fucking Gibraltar. OK?

Politicians.

David. Fuck off. Shut the door behind you. Now.

George. You may be a twat but you're our twat. Plus you know the passwords for our Junior Savers account. Get your calculator. Drop the face-like-a-slapped-ass routine. You're on.

Boris. Sorry mate. That photo of you abseiling by your scrotum over the London Olympics while waving a Union Jack can't ever be un-taken. Plus, you'll never be able to appear on Question Time again without some sturdy Glaswegian nurse asking where the fuck her 350 million quid is. Not only will she have a very good point, she'll be wearing a T shirt that shows you gurning in front of that fucking bus! No captains hat for you I'm afraid.

Theresa. You're in charge love. Get the biggest shoulder pads you've got. We need Ming The Merciless in drag and you'll scare the shit out of 'em.

Nicola. Yep. Fair cop. You probably could get us on a technicality, as could London. But we fucking love shortbread. And oil. And to be honest you're probably the best politician we've got, so we need you on side. Sort your lot out and we promise never to mention that Jimmy Krankie thing again (although it is pretty uncanny) and we'll make you a Dame once we're sorted. Bring Ruth Davidson. She kicks ass.

Opposition party. We'll need one. Someone take Jeremy and John back to the British Legion Club where you found them. Take Nigel as well. Give back their sandals, buy them a pint, then go to Heathrow and collect David Milliband. Fuck it. Lets gets Ed Balls as well. He keeps George on his toes. I think he works on the lottery kiosk at Morrisons now?

Oh. And Mark Carney. Give him a knighthood and tell him to keep that shit coming. We definitely need more of that good shit!

Everyone set? Right. Hold the Easyjet. We're going to Brussels and this ain't no hen party.

I wonder if a cross party New Party could be formed with the core (though not sole) policy being staying in the EU.

There are nearly 500 MPs in the Remain camp, so there might be enough New Party MPs to oblige future governments to form coalitions with New Party, even if this hypothetical New Party didn't get an outright majority.

I imagine it would be centrist and pro-Europe, leaving the remaining Tories and UK on the far right and extreme right, and the remaining Labour on the far-ish left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom