Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

what changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
10 years ago when you told someone you owned a certain domain they were impressed.. 5 years a go they were still impressed.. now?

LOL :)

I think they'd be more impressed with a really good website behind the domain name you own and a 5 figure sum coming in each month from advertising carried on that website.

@bonus on the contrary, I never talk to anyone about domains!

Maybe it's just me, but It feels that some how 10 years ago you told someone with average computer/internet knowledge you owned shortoneword.co.uk or famousukplace.co.uk they probably would have have been impressed - excited and inquisitive even about future plans for it and how one acquired it etc.

Logically one would have thought that 10 years on from say the domain peak around 2005, and with less *good* domains about now, prices and demand for quality would have risen more drastically.

Take sex.co.uk (maybe not a great example), but I would be sure today it would not reach would it would have in 2003 (even EMD boost aside).

Perhaps recessions combined with new domain extensions (uncertainty) and elections is all just bad timing, or things are better than they seem to *me* and I'll just shut up :)

Perhaps the novelty has worn off a bit, but we're really still in the early days of the internet.

There's probably a tendency for domainers to focus too much on domains and not enough on what they're used for. A domain registration itself isn't really very impressive. If someone was impressed that you owned a single word premium it was probably because they imagined it was a big/successful website

As you say there have been a lot of changes with the EMD update and new extensions, but in my view the long term outlook for quality domains it still very good.

I think the general ( not just domains or the internet ) interest in others has worn off in the past 10 years, everyones so wrapped up in self worth and attention seeking me, me, me that its got to the point where society has lost its interaction or has the cant give a shite attitude .

You only have to look at forums and how they were 10 years ago with people asking questions etc, now days no one is open to debate or more to the point no one is open to being proven wrong and therefore don't ask in the first place.

I blame social media for giving everyone an instant feed into others lives, Social media "gurus" for being complete plonkers, censorship, the "PC" brigade and general attention seeking nonsense :rolleyes: :D

Reality is 10 years ago EMDs were all the rage, and a great EMD was your path to Google success. Affiliate marketing was in - techies could buy a name, build a 5 page content crap site, throw in some high paying affiliates.....and bam, first cheque could have arrived in a month. I remember the days of earning 2p a search from Ask Jeeves - and was making £500 a month from it. Not a chance today.

Saturation beyond belief, the big boys arrived years ago smashing a lot of small businesses out of there way in the stampede , technology changes, proper graphic designers putting the affiliates to shame, CMS like Wordpress dominate with great looking templates that can be customised by most - and many domains becoming much less 'necessary' for success.

Nowadays the name not so relevant. Who remembers domain names any more, or even write them down. Category killers will always command a price but the domains of yesterday bow down to the significance of social link sharing, apps etc...

No-one has to think anymore.

It's as easy to build a good brand on a two word domain than a one word nowadays - everything else being equal.

The number of domains with value has plummeted, leaving a lot of dusty domains on creaking shelves until the owner finally gives up on the dreams of yesteryear and gets rid.

I do miss those days of shining lights and wonder, and those years have been good to most of us, but like everything else if you don't innovate you'll be left behind.

Still waiting for someone to post a £30 each domain post with a cracking name and I get there before anyone else :)

Take much of a hit on that one?:cool:

Yep made a big loss :( but you live and learn uh

+ I would rather leave it down to the discretion of a buyer whether they want to public state they've bought something

When I bought it I felt the discretion laid with me.

Yep I had to suck it up and start contacting people, try and at least get some money back on the mistake I had made.

Kudos to you for having the balls to talk about this. I think rabbit was a good name but not a great name, but just bad timing for you perhaps. I'm sure you'll get another chance to invest in something else down the line using the knowledge you have now.

+ 1 cant be fairer than that well done Murray

Hmm well, now I feel awkward

I was being facetious because of the negative way I was asked

Take much of a hit on that one?:cool:

When I bought it, it was with the mindset of selling, I wouldn't of paid an amount I didn't believe was set in stone recoupable

The amount I sold it for was 87.5% on top of the amount I originally paid

I was happy with that.

My original investment was on mind and did play a role, maybe if I had caught it for £6 I would of been happier to sit and wait for years for a larger sum.

But for me, under the circumstances, the offer I received was the right one to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom