Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

123-reg holding me to ransom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've moved all my domains out of 123-reg to a more competitive registrar with better customer service. Apart from one .uk which has expired within the last month. 123-reg are refusing to allow a TAG change on it until it has been renewed with them.

Just what is their reason for demanding this?

It has just given me another reason to dump 123-reg for good.

dunno, there may actually be a reason behind it, like officially in nominets realm as officially expired

you can't transfer gtlds if they have expired
just renew it, its only 6 quid, not worth wasting time and energy on
i'm sure all registrars are same on this tbh

It's more than £6 to renew a .uk with 123-reg. It's £7.11 where as the registrar I've moved to is only £6.70. And they are real people on the customer service desk.

For the sake of a few pence I would just renew with 123-reg and then get them to do a tag change.

You could always administer it yourself via nominet, but that would cost £10+VAT!

123-REG - Transfering a .com away

I've moved all my domains out of 123-reg to a more competitive registrar with better customer service. Apart from one .uk which has expired within the last month. 123-reg are refusing to allow a TAG change on it until it has been renewed with them.

Just what is their reason for demanding this?

It has just given me another reason to dump 123-reg for good.

This is standard practice with all registrars if the .com domain has expired, and even if the domain hadn't expired more often than not a registrar can ask for a transferring away fee (normally the cost of the domain renewal).

I assume at the moment the domain is currently sitting in the redemption period? If so i would suggest you renew it before it goes to pending delete, otherwise you will be hit with a £200 renewal fee just to get the name back :(

for the sake of a few quid just renew it for 1yr (not 2) and transfer it away to your new company.

Regards,
Barry

This is standard practice with all registrars if the .com domain has expired, and even if the domain hadn't expired more often than not a registrar can ask for a transferring away fee (normally the cost of the domain renewal).

I assume at the moment the domain is currently sitting in the redemption period? If so i would suggest you renew it before it goes to pending delete, otherwise you will be hit with a £200 renewal fee just to get the name back :(

for the sake of a few quid just renew it for 1yr (not 2) and transfer it away to your new company.

Regards,
Barry

Eh? I've renewed .uk domains on the 89th day after expiry date and only paid the normal renewal fee.

My point being is the fact that 123-reg are denying a tag change on an expired domain that is still registered in my name. When there is no rule by Nominet saying you can't.

If it is "only a matter of a few pence" then why are 123-reg so desperate to hold onto it!

I take it you have read the 123-Reg terms to see if this is covered?

.uk Tag Change on Expired Domain

Hi Lee

I work on behalf of 123-reg.co.uk

I would interested to find out if you have contacted our support on this query.

Can you direct message me your domain so I can take a look for you.

Regards,

Ricky

I don't think you'll find anything in Nominet's T&C's to prevent a registrar from charging for any action, generally most don't, but that doesn't mean that they can't or won't charge you.

If 123's system requires manual intervention to process an expired domain, then there's no reason for them to process it free of charge, especially when you've had ample time to make a transfer prior to expiry.

If it is really that big a deal, I suggest you write to 123's board of directors expressing your concerns.

I take it you have read the 123-Reg terms to see if this is covered?

I've had my 123-reg account for about 8 or 9 years. I really can't remember what I agreed to back then. Also I guess their terms would have changed/updated numerous times since.

I don't think you'll find anything in Nominet's T&C's to prevent a registrar from charging for any action, generally most don't, but that doesn't mean that they can't or won't charge you.

If 123's system requires manual intervention to process an expired domain, then there's no reason for them to process it free of charge, especially when you've had ample time to make a transfer prior to expiry.

If it is really that big a deal, I suggest you write to 123's board of directors expressing your concerns.

The decision to move all my domains spread across different registrars to just one was only made after the renewal date on the said expired .uk. I would of moved it before the renewal date if I had known 123-reg do this.

Hi Lee

I work on behalf of 123-reg.co.uk

I would interested to find out if you have contacted our support on this query.

Can you direct message me your domain so I can take a look for you.

Regards,

Ricky

Hi, yes I submitted a support ticket but I got an unsatisfactory reply. I also sent an email to the address you list in the service provider section on WHOIS on your TLD registrations, but that just bounced.

Hi, yes I submitted a support ticket but I got an unsatisfactory reply. I also sent an email to the address you list in the service provider section on WHOIS on your TLD registrations, but that just bounced.

Hurrah! & thanks to webfusion

Can we put this one to bed now :-?

All this over 41p :?

As a side note, I always found Ricky was the best person who replied to my support tickets when I used to use 123-Reg for domains (if it is the same Ricky, which I assume it is).

It's not just about the 41p though is it.

Anyway, Ricky sorted it for me.

Thanks all.

Generally we do not have an automated way to change tags for expired .uk domains.

Saying that all customers can change the tag on a .uk domain via the 123-reg control panel before the domain expires.

Renewing a .uk domain with 123-reg is currently is only a little over £7 for 2 years so there are no transfer away charges or any extortionate fees involved.

Hope this helps

Generally we do not have an automated way to change tags for expired .uk domains.

Saying that all customers can change the tag on a .uk domain via the 123-reg control panel before the domain expires.

Renewing a .uk domain with 123-reg is currently is only a little over £7 for 2 years so there are no transfer away charges or any extortionate fees involved.

Hope this helps

Sorry for highjacking the post, but I had to move all domains away from 123-reg when you reset your password you can only use eight characters.????

Eight characters in today's day and age and the high level dictionary attacks?

I loved the control panel there, but not happy to keep domains in a control panel that allows dns changes and only allowed to add an eight character password, when you reset as we should do every few months to be safe.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your feedback, sorry that you have decided to move away from 123-reg.

Some time ago we emailed all of our customers asking for feedback on our current control panel.

123-reg are already planning to launch a refresh of the 123-reg control panel , the control panel password functionality will be one of the things addressed.

Regards,

Ricky

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom