Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Catch wanted 15th January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
And so the race begins..!!!!!! Who will be there a nanosecond of it dropping? Place your bets now!! :D

There is something not straight about Nominet's records of the pop+corn.co.uk domain name, as it wasn't a Pre-Nom up to 6 years ago, but now it is.

You're right, the reg date is October 1996 but the pre-nom status should be for domains registered before August. There seems to be quite a few domains in the same state.

Grant

You're right, the reg date is October 1996 but the pre-nom status should be for domains registered before August. There seems to be quite a few domains in the same state.

Grant

I've just sent an email to Nominet to raise the issue, as I think it's actually a worrying matter that their Whois records are seemingly suffering from arbitrary modifications which simply shouldn't be happening.

On the assumption they stuck to 2 yr renewals, to expire in 2013 wouldn't that make it a 1995 reg rather than 1996 ?

I haven't looked at the dac output but given its been said pre-nom dates are unknown the dac return could be wrong ?

Anyone fancy explaining what you guys are talking about, pre-nom?

Anyone fancy explaining what you guys are talking about, pre-nom?

Pre-Nominet...

A very brief and probably not 100% accurate history - the UK domain space management was done more or less by a few academics in spare time, the domain space grew too large to manage so a not for profit company was setup to manage it - Nominet.

Domains registered before Nominet came into existence are lovingly referred to as pre-nom, these may or may not behave the same as other domains depending on the history of the individual domain.

Thanks for that. In what way may they not behave the same? Don't want to end up finding it at auction to buying a dud!

I remember a time when 10 of names at this level were dropping daily.

Ahhh the memories... :cool:

Thanks for that. In what way may they not behave the same? Don't want to end up finding it at auction to buying a dud!

It's just the admin processes at Nominet that are different for pre-nom's, when it drops and is re-registered it will be just the same as any other domain. The main difference is that a pre-nom may not drop as expected, some do and some don't

Don't forget the 92 versus 99 day drop groups they caused.

That wasn't because of pre nom. 92 day drops were for post Nominet domain names that had been detagged. 99 day drops were for those that were on tags (they had an extra 7 days grace). The two were amalgamated some years ago, and I've forgotten exactly the reason for that although I have a general idea, and now they should all drop at 92 (unless it's out of sequence for a special reason or because Nominet took a day off for technical reasons). :)

Last edited:
It's just the admin processes at Nominet that are different for pre-nom's, when it drops and is re-registered it will be just the same as any other domain. The main difference is that a pre-nom may not drop as expected, some do and some don't

I'm not sure you're correct. All the prenoms that were retained by their original registrants were granted two years free from the date they were "converted" into post Nominet domain names. The remaining pre Nominet domain names were deleted in batches. Pre Nominet domain names didn't have a "registered on" date displayed in the WHOIS. There shouldn't be anymore of those domain names remaining.

Bit of a bitter sweet experience as well :(

For those that don't know, Ratboy registered lyrics.co.uk which had dropped under everyone's noses. He sold it for, was it £6k? but the lads that bought it came back to tell us they'd flipped it for over £80k!

7 and 45 actually, but still. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom