Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Making a Domain earn £1 a week

Hi..great thread this..
I would welcome some feedback on my main project..

http://www.onlineguitarguide.co.uk

Write your own unique content. Use keyword research tools to help you and integrate popular keyphrases.

Boost the amount of text you have on the home page - go for around 12 long paragraphs, it will help the site get picked up a lot.

Once your site starts getting traffic, experiment with AdSense positioning. At the moment, down the right hand column is too easy to ignore. Look at eye tracking studies to work out the best place to put them. I would say top left is going to be better, but test out a few positions once you get traffic.

bassbliss - Your site is looking good and is definitely along the right lines for a minisite.

- I personally would decrease the height of the title graphic. You've done a good job with the graphic, but the height means it's taking up too much of the vital "selling space" at the top of the page. However, wait until your site gets indexed and see what conversion is like, then run a test with a lower height graphic and see if you notice a difference.

- Looking at your keywords tag I'm wondering if you could do a bit more keyword research and find more related terms - use the Google AdWords synonyms tool maybe.

Rgds

Thanks for the advice..You make a good point about the graphic height, I used an existing graphic from another job I did for speed, but I will go back and reduce it down.

I will also look into the keywords a little more..I did some research, but maybe not enough as I was enthusiastic to get going!

Then again, the site has been up 24 hours and has already made $10..

Boost the amount of text you have on the home page - go for around 12 long paragraphs, it will help the site get picked up a lot.

Hey Accelerator,

Interesting. I've usually worked on the principle of a relatively light home/landing page, then more detailed sub-pages covering various subjects.

I'll give this approach a try. What type of difference have you noticed when using a 'heavy' homepage like this?

Mike.

Just to add something to this thread. Just read a very interesting book about search engine optimisation. Crappily titled "Get to the Top of Google" best £10 i have spent recently.

Well worth a read:
link here...

Have many minisite users tried RSS feed content to keep constantly updated content on various pages which demand zero/minimal ongoing maintenance?

With Welcome to Ephedrine HCL's Place @ ephedrinehcl.co.uk I regged it under a month ago (was free to reg, never regged before). I started developing it around the 1st August 2008, put a basic site up in about 4 hours, added adverts from adbrite (miva/google wouldnt touch with george bushes bits) around the 4th Aug .

I havent even sorted the meta tags, page titles, still has typo's and only done basic SEO on it yet, all I've done is a little promoting it. Despite all I haven't done I'm in the top 5-14 spots in google for my 'current top 5 keywords'.

ephedrine hcl
eca stack
t5 ephedrine
ephedrinehcl
t5 eca

Its almost made its reg fee in 3ish weeks on the adverts alone. Would have been higher with google but oh well. I have had a few online shops wanting to buy 'banner ads' or an affiliate re-direct on the order page selling herbal and alt versions.

I maintain that wordpress scraped content isnt the way forward. I think a 'genuine' mini site with useful information will always rank better in the search engines and make more money. All this site is, is well formed code, relevant content, useful and something that is in demand with a little marketing and thats my latest project and recipe :)

I will be starting my next project hopefully in start of sept, which will be using the 'free hook', which keeps people coming back, as mentioned before in this thread :)

Last edited:
Excellent topic, I just speed read through all 43 pages of it, before reading/joining this site today, I had never heard of mini sites, so it has given me some ideas/options.

I don't normally buy domain names with the intention of making money with them, I generally use the domains to set up fake websites which are used in scambaiting scammers.

I do have an anti fraud information website which I place my Google Adsense ads on, solely to make enough to renew the domain name, but I made slightly more than that, I got my first cheque from Google about a month ago after going over the $100 barrier, the dollars converted to £61, which was made in 6 months, not a lot, but better than a poke in the eye :)

I recently bought 20 domain names for $20 (roughly £0.58 each), most have between 5 and 8 months left until they expire, but there are four that don't expire until April 2010, 5 of the domains will be used to make scambaiting websites and a couple are being used for reseller hosting sites I have already set up

The 13 domains that are left can be used for making mini sites to hopefully monetise them a bit, my problem is, I'm not really sure which of the domains would be suitable for that purpose, I don't really want to post them all here, as that could be construed as spamming, so would a knowledgeable member mind if I sent them to them via PM to advise me which would be suitable to use?

Thanks for your time.

I used the blue minisite template posted above to stick one of my domains online using it, thanks for the use of the template. I copied some text from a wiki page and stuck that on there for now, it's just a single page for the time being, I think it's more important to get the sites online first, and then add some more pages in later, anyway, here is my first one:

Laptop Motherboards

I'll try messing about with the template colours tomorrow, and put some more minisites online.

Hi Welshy, I had a look at the webiste link you posted, it's all paid for stuff on there, and things like that you can get for free on the net, I personally wouldn't pay for a minisite template.

I changed the blue template slightly today and added a little hint of pink and a lighter blue line to it, well, it is for a dolls site after all :D

Last edited:
I have uploaded another 2 single pagers simply to get them online quicker, the football domain was one of the 20 domains I purchased for $20

The guesthouse domain was one that I bought solely to make a fake guesthouse website with, it was used as a lure to get some London based Nigerian scammers to waste there time by making a trip to St Leonards On Sea, which they did, they were expecting to meet a German victim who had brought £20,000 for them as the fee for their 419 scam, we had them waiting around all afternoon and early in to the evening, I took some photos of them from my window, they went away cold, upset and empty handed, I guess it wasn't their day :lol:. That scambait has now ended and I might as well use the domain for something else now, so a minipage it is:

Hastings Guesthouses - Hotels & Guest Houses in St Leonards on Sea & Hastings, East Sussex
Football Collectibles For Sale

That template was sold by Stevie on here years ago????

I had a load of sites with that template in different colours which did ok initially then were all de-indexed from google.

I guess it's back to the doing you own template from scratch time

Although I have the ability to build my own sites, I have started using Wordpress, through my hosting package with Hostpapa. It has a one click install, and there are loads of themes available to make adding in Adsense etc very easy.

here are my first three..using free themes, which I have customised a little..

Earn More Weigh Less

Guitar Collecting

Lake District Visitors Guide

I'm writing all my own content, (except on the lake district site) and using wordpress certainly makes things like RSS and indexing easier.

Last edited:
i have to re-stress the need for original and unique content

I put up this site only two days ago, Chemosynthesis and its already number one on google uk search and on the 2nd page of the world wide

I do believe this is all due to unique content

No, its not a site that will make money, and yes its very specific but it still enforces the need for it. :)

hope everyone's good!

i have to re-stress the need for original and unique content

I put up this site only two days ago, Chemosynthesis and its already number one on google uk search and on the 2nd page of the world wide

I do believe this is all due to unique content

No, its not a site that will make money, and yes its very specific but it still enforces the need for it. :)

hope everyone's good!

nice template! Is it wordpress or custom?

Yeah - I like the template too - another nice background for my collection ;)

You could put up a few Amazon book links - I'm sure people that are specifically looking for this info would perhaps buy a book on it...:D

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom