Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

MX Record Question in cPanel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
In cPanel I've changed my MX records over to Google so that we're using their SMTP server and can manage emails in gmail (via Google apps for business):

1 ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
5 ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
5 ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
10 ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM
10 ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM

To add new email addresses I first have to verify ownership, which google does by emailing the address. The only thing is the MX records are set to Google so the verification email isn't accessible.

Is there a way to ensure emails are continually routed through to Google, but are also accessible through the standard cPanel webmail? I changed the first MX entry back to my server in order to set up my last account, but of course all other email addresses routed to Google also reverted back to my server, rather than Google, until I changed the MX record back to the above.

Thanks,
Alex

you can verify domain ownership by adding a text record in the dns settings.

you can verify domain ownership by adding a text record in the dns settings.

Thanks for taking a look. Do you have a link to the documentation on this? It's not the domain that's being verified, it's the specific email address and the only way I can find that Google does this is by sending the email to the address.

Thanks for taking a look. Do you have a link to the documentation on this? It's not the domain that's being verified, it's the specific email address and the only way I can find that Google does this is by sending the email to the address.

Yes, the text record just validate the domain, not the email address as such. So forget that.

The management interface has changed a lot since I last used it (for the worse, it would seem).

Have you opted to use google servers or your own as I suspect this is where the problem may be?

Remember also that there may be a dns propagation delay.

Last edited:
Have you opted to use google servers or your own as I suspect this is where the problem may be?

Remember also that there may be a dns propagation delay.

It's my own VPS. All we need Google for is email which is routed through their servers by updating the MX records. Just seems odd that we then have to verify new email addresses by receiving a verification email, which can't be received because the MX records are set to the Google servers. Just wondered if it was just me, or is this an actual oversight by Google?

All the verified email addresses are running perfectly fine, the issue is if we want to add a new one I'm currently having to take all email addresses offline by changing the MX records to my server, receiving the verification email, then changing the MX records back to Google to use their service. Obviously not the right way to be doing it.

In cPanel I've changed my MX records over to Google so that we're using their SMTP server and can manage emails in gmail (via Google apps for business):

1 ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
5 ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
5 ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
10 ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM
10 ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM

To add new email addresses I first have to verify ownership, which google does by emailing the address. The only thing is the MX records are set to Google so the verification email isn't accessible.

Is there a way to ensure emails are continually routed through to Google, but are also accessible through the standard cPanel webmail? I changed the first MX entry back to my server in order to set up my last account, but of course all other email addresses routed to Google also reverted back to my server, rather than Google, until I changed the MX record back to the above.

Thanks,
Alex

I'm not sure I have ever had to verify email addresses in the way you appear to be describing. AFAIK one has only ever been required to verify ownership of the domain name itself. I don't see any merit in verifying email addresses beyond that. Perhaps you have misunderstood something? I've never had to do it so I need more information from you about this. Is this of some relevance: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/apps/WRdK9DhWySE

If you wish to deliver to multiple locations, Google Apps for Business has a dual delivery feature. It can be instructed to act as your primary mail service and deliver all email, prior to spam filtering, to other mail services too.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I have ever had to verify email addresses in the way you appear to be describing. AFAIK one has only ever been required to verify ownership of the domain name itself. I don't see any merit in verifying email addresses beyond that. Perhaps you have misunderstood something?

If you wish to deliver to multiple locations, Google Apps for Business has a dual delivery feature. It can be instructed to act as your primary mail service and deliver all email, prior to spam filtering, to other mail services too.

I may well be missing something :) however the process I go through is to first add a new user in the apps dashboard and accept the billing terms. During this process I have to specify the user's email address that will be used as their business email. Before they can access the email in gmail the address has to be verified, and that's where things break down given that the new address cannot be verified. I'll have another go, but this is the process I've gone through with the last 3 people I've created accounts for.

I may well be missing something :) however the process I go through is to first add a new user in the apps dashboard and accept the billing terms. During this process I have to specify the user's email address that will be used as their business email. Before they can access the email in gmail the address has to be verified, and that's where things break down given that the new address cannot be verified. I'll have another go, but this is the process I've gone through with the last 3 people I've created accounts for.

Can you use an @gmail.com (possibly one of your own) to get the billing working? This sounds like verification for billing purposes only. Each individual email address at the domain name doesn't pay for their account individually.

Can you use an @gmail.com (possibly one of your own) to get the billing working? This sounds like verification for billing purposes only. Each individual email address at the domain name doesn't pay for their account individually.

Wouldn't make any difference. All the billing info is verified at the admin level and the email request is completely seperate - i.e. you add a new user, it prompts to buy a new user account license because you don't have enough, you pay for a new license and then start the process again, only this time you have a license and just fill in the user info - their username, password etc. You can buy as many licenses as you want as a seperate process to actually adding users.

That link you provided shows me I'm not the only person experiencing this, although it doesn't really conclude with a solution. I'll dig a bit deeper. I appreciate the suggestions though.

I may well be missing something :) however the process I go through is to first add a new user in the apps dashboard and accept the billing terms.

Can you not just add domains to your master account and create another gmail account for each?

The original free apps accounts came with a max of 10 users. I have 3 gmail accounts on 3 domains all linked to the master account; I haven't needed to create any other users.

Can you not just add domains to your master account and create another gmail account for each?

The original free apps accounts came with a max of 10 users. I have 3 gmail accounts on 3 domains all linked to the master account; I haven't needed to create any other users.

I'll take another look as I may have missed something. Just to clarify though, it's a premium account for my main business with 1 domain, each user is an actual member of staff, as oppose to email aliases or other domains.

So when Joe Bloggs joins the business I need to set up a joe.bloggs@ email for him. I do this on the server, so the email exists. At this stage the email can't actually be accessed because the MX records are set to Google as intended. I add him as a new user in Google Apps which includes specifying his account email address (the one I set up and the one he will be accessing in Gmail). At this point, before completing, Google has to verify ownership of the email.

I'm getting the impression I'm doing things a bit differently to the norm? I'll follow up with Google directly, just wondered if anyone on here was doing the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom