Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Sedo: LotterySyndicate.co.uk 4,599 GBP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, considering the not insignificant amount the buyer paid I would've transferred the .uk across too. It seems unlikely that the new buyer didn't care about the .uk and more likely that they simply didn't know about it. I would feel obliged to offer it to them at least. Still, that's just my opinion and I do thank you for sharing this sale with us. It shows that there is still life in the market yet.

Nice sale - well done.

Regarding the .uk issue.

I recently bought a domain from a v large company and didn't mention the rights to the .uk during the negotiations.

The .uk hadn't been registered at the time of negotiation, so rights belonged to the owner of the .co.uk.

However, after the domain was transferred, I realised the .uk had been registered before the domain was transferred to me.

I couldn't complain - I should have made it clear I wanted the .co.uk + rights to the .uk too.

I went back and explained the situation, offered a token amount and bought the .uk too.

To be safe as a buyer, I've learned that you need to specify if you want the rights included. If not, I don't think we can grumble if they aren't included in the transaction.

The morality & ethics of it all stinks a bit imo.

+1

Poor form if the .uk was registered once negotiations had begun, or even agreed. Even if the buyer wasn't aware, the rights to the .uk are with the .co.uk, so if the .uk hadn't been registered at that point, it should be included.

I agree with mally, he sold the .co.uk version not .uk. I think it's up to the buyer to state they want the .uk included in the sale if they do not the seller.

Yes, I've done the same myself. The buyer only wanted to buy the .co.uk .

.co.uk and .uk rights

Hi Guys,

Just my thoughts on this matter.

For domainers i feel the whole .co.uk and .uk ownership rights are pretty black and white, yet for those not operating in this space they're none the wiser 99.9% of the time, meaning they can be taken advantage of, which they are in some cases.

When purchasing a domain name from Sedo... The moment you enter into negotiation with the seller you are agreeing to Sedo's T&C's to purchase the rights to the .co.uk if a sale is agreed, which intern legally gives you the rights to the .uk (if they exist) and have not been transferred into the same entity or another name prior to entering into negotiations via the Sedo platform.

Regardless of Sedo stating the whole mechanics of how the .co.uk and .uk rights work (which they should imo). It's the terms and conditions of Nominet which should hold up in a court of law if a dispute was to ever arise. Meaning if you can show to Nominet at the time of agreeing to purchase the .co.uk that rights to the .uk existed, then i would expect Nominet to abide by their T&C's and transfer the ownership of the .uk to the buyer, which i believe they would if such proof was presented to them.

Now then... This in my opinion is where the grey area comes into play!

Buyers who are contacting domain owners outside of a sales platform which do not require the buyer to agree to any terms and conditions whilst in discussion - This leaves the buyer vulnerable because the seller (legal registrant) of the domain can transfer the rights of the .uk to a new entity prior to accepting the offer, which is what is happening.

The big difference between Sedo and contacting sellers direct is... Sedo clearly state you are agreeing to purchase the rights to the domain name which you're enquiring about. Whereas when contacting domain owners direct you're merely entering into a discussion which isn't legally binding up until the point of agreeing to the sale.

The only time the above may differ is if the domain registrant (the seller) listed the domain for sale at a Buyit now price on a parked page... and the buyer then accepted the buyit now price! in which case if at the time of accepting the BIN price the .uk rights existed legally this would become part of the deal.

Right then, back to Mally's sale of LotterySyndicate.co.uk - If Mally registered or transferred the .uk before entering into discussion with the buyer via the Sedo platform, then i see absolutely nothing wrong with his code of conduct, however, if Mally transferred the .uk domain whilst in discussion with the buyer via the Sedo platform, then obviously I'd have a totally different view based on what I've discussed above.

This is also happening too... Some people are aware of the .uk extension but are too scared to bring it up just incase the owners of the .co.uk want more money! So what these people are doing is saying nothing with the hope they will get rights to the .uk at the same price, however, some sellers are transferring .uk rights away just before the sale has been agreed, which is totally legal to do under the Nominet terms as they are still the legal registrant, plus no sale has been agreed up until this point - I would say to these people... If you want both the .co.uk / .uk be clear from the start and mention it when inquiring about the domain, that way both parties know where they stand.

Note to Sedo :
If you can run cron jobs removing domain names from users accounts based on them no longer being the legal registrant of that domain name, then you can most certainly create a script to query the Nominet database to show whether or not .uk rights exist when buying a particular .co.uk domain.

A simple line of text displaying something like >>

Attention :
This .co.uk comes with .uk rights.
More information relating to .uk rights can be found here here

or

Attention :
This .co.uk does not come with .uk rights.
More information relating to .uk rights can be found here here

Hope my thoughts help.

Best,
Barry

In many industries, there is a code of conduct (either law-driven, or implemented proactively by major players) meant to protect against the information disparity between the service provider (expert) and the customer ("naive" consumer of the service)

The .uk issue is one of many examples of the "wild west" mentality that unfortunately still seems to hold sway for many engaged in the domain industry.

For many (myself included) the inclusion of the .uk (or unexercised right to same) is an absolute given if both the .uk and the .co.uk are (potentially) controlled by the same party.

Others exploit the ethical grey area to the max.

What's the solution? I don't know. But I do know that IF there was a solution, it would do the overall reputation of the industry a world of good.

For me it's as simple as I wouldn't appreciate someone pulling this with me, so I wouldn't do it to them.

But I can appreciate it's a grey area.

If people on the forum think that what is happening now is unethical, what are you going to think in less than four years time when Business will have forgotten to register their .uk domains and all hell will break loose

If people on the forum think that what is happening now is unethical, what are you going to think in less than four years time when Business will have forgotten to register their .uk domains and all hell will break loose

Yes I am sure that not one of the people saying that selling the .co.uk / .uk as separate domains is a disgrace won't even be thinking of registering any of them will they :rolleyes:

Simply amazing.

Yes I am sure that not one of the people saying that selling the .co.uk / .uk as separate domains is a disgrace won't even be thinking of registering any of them will they :rolleyes:

Simply amazing.

They're totally different, one you have control over what happens, the other you don't

You can decide to mention the .uk to the buyer, you can decide whether to register it or not before it's transferred (if you haven't already)

However you can't control the .uk's becoming available, they will become available, you might as well pick them up if you can because someone else will anyway.

This says it all......

Who does it help not to participate? they will be registered regardless

This is a problem created by Nominet, they've created the game, you can't hate the players in this instance.

I have to admit that I hadn't thought about it like that, but then I haven't thought about what happens in 4 years time much at all. It's a proper ethical conundrum.

Don't attempt to register any domains and someone else will take them anyway.

Give right of refusal to .co.uk owner and you're a domain squatter.

Sell the domain to someone else and you're causing both owners a real problem.

Nominet have really stuffed this up - and the longer the current situation goes on, the worse it gets.

They're totally different, one you have control over what happens, the other you don't

You can decide to mention the .uk to the buyer, you can decide whether to register it or not before it's transferred (if you haven't already)

However you can't control the .uk's becoming available, they will become available, you might as well pick them up if you can because someone else will anyway.

They aren't totally different, as you have a choice in both scenarios.

I have no issues with selling .co.uk and .uk separately at present, the same as I would have no problem with registering the .uk's in 2019 with a view to selling them on; the difference is I am not pretending it's okay to do so only in 2019 because 'I might as well pick them up, because someone else will anyway' - I am just being honest and not hiding behind a scenario which is out of my hands to make myself appear all morally correct in front of others on a domain forum.

If people truly felt strongly enough about the .uk issue and are worried about 2019 when 'all hell breaks loose' they could be spending some time educating the corresponding .co.uk owners about them, the funny thing is that some of these people with these 'moral' issues are still actively catching names without the .uk partner and still selling them anyway; and why is that? Because at the end of the day everyone is in it for the money (even nominet) and nothing more.

I wouldn't dream of stealing from a shop at any time, same as I wouldn't dream of looting a shop during a riot because I may as well because someone will anyway; I don't practise double standards, I would either do both or neither.

Who does it help not to participate? they will be registered regardless

This is a problem created by Nominet, they've created the game, you can't hate the players in this instance.

So you may as well get in while you can right? as Nominet are to blame and you can't be hated in this instance as you are only taking advantage of a situation which was created by someone other than you, so now that is morally okay :rolleyes:

I have to admit that I hadn't thought about it like that, but then I haven't thought about what happens in 4 years time much at all. It's a proper ethical conundrum.

Don't attempt to register any domains and someone else will take them anyway.

Give right of refusal to .co.uk owner and you're a domain squatter.

Sell the domain to someone else and you're causing both owners a real problem.

Nominet have really stuffed this up - and the longer the current situation goes on, the worse it gets.

Nominet stuffed this up the minute they released the .uk domains 17 years after realising they should have done it instead of .co.uk domains in the first place.

They aren't totally different, as you have a choice in both scenarios.

The right thing is to keep the co.uk with the .uk

You can choose to do the right thing when selling

You can't choose to keep the .uk with the co.uk when it drops, it will be registered by someone else anyway

Who are you helping by not participating? no one, no one at all, you're only hurting yourself

The right thing is to keep the co.uk with the .uk

You can choose to do the right thing when selling

You can't choose to keep the .uk with the co.uk when it drops, it will be registered by someone else anyway

Who are you helping by not participating? no one, no one at all, you're only hurting yourself

So in your opening email to end users where you are offering them to purchase a .co.uk name you have caught (but have no .uk domain as someone else caught that) you inform them that you only have the .co.uk and it doesn't come with the .uk rights? And you explicitly explain that to them at the fist instance?

Or do you just mention the domain you actually own and are offering for sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom