Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

UK Leaves the EU - What happens next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm personally a big fan of the approach to take our time and not be forced into rushing things. Once we've triggered article 50, we have a finite deadline for negotiating our exit. We also have an irreversible exit.

This is a window of opportunity to get our ducks in a row. The short term volatility doesn't actually matter that much. What matters is that we secure the right long term deal.

Cameron falling on his sword has bought the UK time to get things right.

I'm interested to know in the context of "what happens next", if any of you are taking a revised position financially, be that moving funds abroad, buying assets rather than money in the bank, shoving it under the mattress?

No matter how everything else plays out in the next weeks and months (trade, freedom of movement, etc.) we are almost certain to end up with a significantly more right-wing government making the decisions than we have at the moment.

... which has always been one of MY greatest concerns, and how a post leave government would deal with the hundreds of EU regulations embedded in to UK law.

They won't just disappear after we exit. They have to be unpicked with new legislation which could take years. So even after we have left, the EU will still be in UK law.

Found this interesting article on how leaving the EU could effect UK worker rights:
https://www.cipd.co.uk/hr-resources/voice/04/real-impact-eu-uk-employment.aspx

What I hadn't realised was that the UK was looking at getting an opt-out in December 2015 from EU employment law which would affect things such as the working time directive; holiday entitlements, maternity and paternity rights; etc.

Also, Norway and Switzerland, in their deals with the EU, have trade agreements with the EU which involve adherence to substantial amounts of EU-derived employment law.

This is one reason that I strongly believe that we should have another general election soon (I personally hope so), and that hopefully the make up of that new government should be representative of the UK electorate - so, a mix of both leave and remain MPs ... and NOT as some people are wanting, exclusively leave.

What I hadn't realised was that the UK was looking at getting an opt-out in December 2015 from EU employment law which would affect things such as the working time directive; holiday entitlements, maternity and paternity rights; etc.

Again, I'm afraid it comes down to how closely people were watching the campaigns. The point was made a number of times that the UK was actively trying to block a lot of the pro-worker reforms introduced or guaranteed by the EU - and that was down to the actions of the current government - but it obviously got lost in the maelstrom of mud-slinging back and forth.

Put it like this: nothing that has happened so far (apart from the Labour meltdown) has been a real, honest-to-goodness surprise if one kept on top of every twist and turn and every expert prognostication going into the referendum...

However:
A) Most people (99%? 99.9%? 99.99%?) won't have been following that closely, so these things will appear to be a surprise to them
and
B) Knowing that something's possible does little to negate the shock when it actually happens (believe me!) In fact, it's probably worse, almost, since that abstract low-pitch feeling of dread gets replaced by a chilling, concrete certainty.

A really shocking example of the "new normal" (hopefully still not that common) - racial abuse footage handed into Channel 4 a little earlier today
https://amp.twimg.com/v/ca77c55a-7faf-45e8-acf9-69ed3acc9513

The number of reports of incidents is multiplying very quickly.

And look at the quotes from the guy in this article, completely unafraid to give his full name. It's hard to imagine he would have been so forthcoming a week ago
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...el-in-giving-the-metropolitan-elite-a-kicking

However:
A) Most people (99%? 99.9%? 99.99%?) won't have been following that closely, so these things will appear to be a surprise to them

I think I made a comment in the "other" thread, that most people vote emotionally ... just like we do when we buy something.

People were buying in to an emotional answer to what they felt was a specific problem facing them. No right, no wrong, just the way it is.

Both sides will be disappointed and surprised at some of the outcomes ...

A really shocking example of the "new normal" (hopefully still not that common) - racial abuse footage handed into Channel 4 a little earlier today

The number of reports of incidents is multiplying very quickly.

And look at the quotes from the guy in this article, completely unafraid to give his full name. It's hard to imagine he would have been so forthcoming a week ago
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...el-in-giving-the-metropolitan-elite-a-kicking

That's horrible in the first link Edwin, no place for it in this country. The police and cps should come down hard on this type of thing.

That's horrible in the first link Edwin, no place for it in this country. The police and cps should come down hard on this type of thing.

Agreed. The scary thing is that if you're watching Twitter intently, it's clearly something that's growing worse almost hour by hour (there are a lot of reports coming up against the #Brexit tag, in amongst a thousand other things)

I saw someone posted this on Facebook a few minutes ago, which seemed to summarise the situation very well:

I don't think Brexit has made Britain more racist, i do think however, that is had made it socially acceptable for those racists to be more open and proud about their racism...

In other words, it's stripped away at the veneer of political correctness that reined in some people's attitudes, by giving a supposed legitimacy to their worldview. (Of course it wasn't meant to do that, but it's an unintended consequence both of the way the campaign was run, the language and props used during the campaign, and also the "misunderstanding" about immigration and what the notion of "control" actually means amongst a small minority of Leave voters).

That's the problem with large numbers: even if we start with the view that for instance only 1-in-1,000 Leave voters have overtly racist tendencies, that's 17,000 people who feel empowered since the vote result came in.

I'm interested to know in the context of "what happens next", if any of you are taking a revised position financially, be that moving funds abroad, buying assets rather than money in the bank, shoving it under the mattress?

Does watching my SIPP value plummet count? Actually it's not that bad. Only down around 6% so far. Just wish I had spare cash to lump on with! :)

Makes me very sad to see this, but equally so to think that this is the next generation right here; wouldn't say that this racist attack is anything to do with the current situation, I doubt this idiot even knows where Europe is.

Anyone have an .eu domain?
You will probably have to surrender it after we leave (I had two related to my main business)

From the site:
Any person, company or organisation based in the European Union, Iceland, Norway or Liechtenstein can register a domain name under .eu

OMG! There were racists BEFORE Brexit too!

Remember, whatever get's the attention of the masses will be forced down their throats. Not heard much about Jo Cox this past few days, suppose there's no reason to anymore.

Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. Especially if it comes from mainstream media...question everything - don't think for one second they don't have an agenda.

Priceless...

7 minutes of joy, but Nigel's delivery is not as good as the master.

Last edited:
Last edited:
OMG! There were racists BEFORE Brexit too!

Remember, whatever get's the attention of the masses will be forced down their throats. Not heard much about Jo Cox this past few days, suppose there's no reason to anymore.

Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. Especially if it comes from mainstream media...question everything - don't think for one second they don't have an agenda.

Or possibly there has been a large increase in racist abuse, in line with the reports. That's what the police and the organizations who deal with the fallout are saying.

I agree that it is very important to be skeptical and careful of what sources you believe - but the only sources you've pointed to have been some of the least reliable, extremist conspiracy websites.

You mentioned Jo Cox, are you still denying she was murdered? I ask because I think this is helpful in demonstrating your reliability as a source - you were very quick to believe completely unsubstantiated theories that suited your worldview, even in the face of solid evidence to the contrary

There was someone on the radio yesterday who was an expert in the racist attacks area.

They stated that following an National Event, like a terrorist attack, election, racist murder etc, there is a spike in racist incidents. Always happens and there is evidence to prove this.
However, when looked at over time (rather than just 4 days after a ref.) the number of racist incidents is actually in decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom