Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

20,000 Welsh .cymru and .wales domain names registered

Reaction score
taken from bbc news... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-39975508 - wasn't sure if anyone was interested or not... guessing not ;)

More than 20,000 .wales and .cymru domain names have been registered since their full launch two years ago.

The 20,670 total represents a modest increase since March 2016, when more than 19,000 domains had been logged.

More than 10,000 were registered within the first month of them being made available to the wider public on St David's Day 2015.

Web body Nominet said the domains had enjoyed a "fantastic" welcome since their release.

Nominet, which administrates the domains, said the combined total for .cymru and .wales is in the top ten European geographical domains, in terms of searches online.

Top 10 in Europe
It said research suggested one in 30 of the domain names included a Welsh surname, with Jones being by far the most popular used in a web address, followed by Evans and Williams, with many registrants choosing a .cymru or .wales for their personal email addresses.

The domains rank alongside other geographic locations such as London, Berlin and Paris, coming in at ninth in the top 10 table.

High-profile business and organisations which have taken up Welsh domains include the Football Association of Wales, the Welsh Government and the Federation of Small Businesses.

So it took them 2 years to grow to 0.2% of the size of the UK namespace - not even a rounding error...

It would be interesting to know how much was spent achieving those 20,000 registrations in terms of marketing and promotion. I suspect the extension made a loss on that basis even before setup and running costs.

What a waste of Nominet's time and resources!

Pathetic growth. Couldn't be seen as anything else.

However, I still think it's a step forward for Welsh and Wales related businesses, so kudos to Nominet for delivering it.

I just wonder if there is any market in .wales and .cymru. Anybody had any sales???

Last edited:
I live in Wales. Not deepest darkest Wales, but it's a good run to the English border, and there's a lot of Welsh speakers where I live.

I've never seen a .wales domain in use. Whether that's on TV, printed on the side of a van, on a business card, in the local paper. Nothing. Nada.

I have never heard .wales or .cymru discussed in any circles I mix in, personal or professional. I run an ecommerce business and deal with developers, designers and so on, on a daily basis.

To be fair there was never a huge amount of marketing when they launched (in my opinion). But even if there had been, I think they would still have flopped.

Most people I know still get mixed up between .co.uk and .com - so it's probably a good job they don't know about these, to bring further confusion.

All I can say about .wales and .cymru is that they're a massive waste of time and money.

I'm a bit confused... I too live in wales and know of quite a few .wales/.cymru live websites. There is new lottery of Wales website called loteri . Cymru which launched recently and the draw takes place on a Friday via s4c. There are also faw. Wales, assembly .Wales, rfu .Wales just to name a few. Granted not loads but is in use nevertheless

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

No members online now.

Featured Services

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom