Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

3d Domain Names - The Great Debate

Discussion in 'Domain Research' started by 3dDomainNames, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3dDomainNames

3dDomainNames Member

Hello Everybody...

There has been a lot said about the influx of 3d products and 3d domain names, such as their potential value
    .. some see 3d as a quick fad, some see it as a soon-to-be prosperous business.

With so many products, services and future implementations on the horizon, i can't see how 3d domain names WON'T be a highly sought after piece of digital real estate.

I have bought in to the 3d domain game and am excited about what's to be... has anyone else also registered any 3d domain names and seen the growing potential?

Thanks

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

i can't think of any other genre where it is more important (if buying), to buy one decent domain rather than dozens or hundreds of others of crappy ones

far better to grab one nice generic/brandable like 3dworld or something and develop into an info site and list products, news etc and get ranked well.
    sitting on lots of average ones will get people nowhere imho

just an observation from the 50 page threads i have seen on forums
    the other problem is, the domains look damn ugly with 3d in them and then words imho

i don't own one

4. stevebrowne United Kingdom

stevebrowne Active Member

I've got a few, but have tried to avoid the "3d in front of anything" model:

3dbundle(s) - tv & bluray player; video cards & glasses etc.
    3dtvdownloads
    3dtvhire, hire3dtv, 3dtvrental, rent3dtv
    3dvideocamera(s)
    free3dtv
    tv3d
    hdtv3d

5. DC3000 United Kingdom

DC3000 Member

What extension are you using there Steve? - I know of someone else that owns hd3dtv (.) co uk (me ;) ) Still debating what they're worth, time will tell... Have a few decent .coms in this genre though

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  6. retired_member13

retired_member13 Banned

I think that anything that gets people excited about domains is great.

I'm not a fan of "3D" names per se, but would be delighted to be proven wrong as I think it'd be good for the industry.

For me there are far too many great domains in established commercial areas out there to put the same high values on something that is as yet unproven and that might have a very short shelf life.

I think a couple of people will make a killing in this area (if at least one hasn't already ;) ), and the bandwagon jumpers with "3d+anything" or "anything+3d" or 3d brandable names will probably get burned unless they build real sites and services in the very near future.

7. stevebrowne United Kingdom

stevebrowne Active Member

all .co.uk

and yes Ty, all in plan for development :)

8. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

A lot of the 3d domains I've seen recently smack mightily of "jumping on the bandwagon" desperation. For example, apart from the top 2-3 most obvious domains (e.g. 3dtv, 3d, 3dtelevision etc.) anything that's not .co.uk or .com is a total waste of money.

Beyond that, 3d seems to have become the new "i" or "e": stick a "3d" in front of some semi-random expression and it's a quick path to riches...

... or, in reality, it's a quick path to being a few quid poorer with every misguided registration.

I must have seen over 1,000 3D domains come up for sale or appraisal on various domain forums in the last few weeks, and probably less than 20 of those will ever crack "regfee" value. That's not a very good ratio!

My advice: you're already FAR TOO LATE. If you're looking for 3Dsomething domains today that are still free to reg, you'll definitely be wasting your money.

Mind you, every new fad seems to bring a similar whiff of desperation. When YouTube started getting big and a couple of *Tube domains sold for reasonable amounts, suddenly domainers everywhere started going for anythingtube domains. 99.5% of those will expire eventually (whenever their owners finally see reason) having earned nothing and been worth exactly as much!

9. expertc

expertc Well-Known Member

I don't own a single 3D domain, to be honest. I would agree that 2-3 or 5 of them might sell for decent money, but the rest would never go above the reg fee. And... it looks ugly.

Same is with iAnything domains. Well, I have 2-3 of them but... nothing to do with iPad, iPhones etc. Closer to iWish (not exactly, but close ;))

This is another craze and it will end. But domains like cars, sofas, food and even mousetrap are going to stay.

Just my 2P...

10. rob

rob Founding Member

Agreed... its like the 365* stuff that popped up everywhere :)

Who is going to start on 4D ?

11. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Retired Member

Or maybe the 999 domains >

999plumbers
    999cinema
    999launderette e.t.c :lol:

12. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Other similar trends:
    123*
    abc*
    247*
    aaa*
    360*

and so on, and so on, and so on.

For each of the above, you could probably find a bare handful of historic "good" domain sales that triggered the avalanche of crazy no-hoper registrations.

Better to stick to registering pure generics! They're still out there... and at least then you know what the potential market for the domain is (and that there is a market!)

13. binny

binny Active Member

It's all strictly 4D really though ain't it

14. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

lol
    well some people call 4d that because it has sound. ie. with baby scans :rolleyes:
    i guess a tv is no different

although the 4th dimension is timetravel and if we had that we'd all be trying to get domains back in the late 80's. i can see us all running out of our tardis' rugby tackling each other. it would be the usual suspects even then
    except i would have tied STJ to a chair and kneecapped him, just to make sure :D

15. 3dDomainNames

3dDomainNames Member

wow .. there is SO much for me to touch here that i am excited to start telling my perspective... but where do i begin (haha)

ok.. let me start by saying that this is just ONE MAN'S view - one man's opinion.
    I have some facts and stats tangled together with philosophical views and behaviours as well... i would prefer to keep the 'debate' calm and civil, as this topic seems to bring some heat with it (AMAZINGLY so!).

I've read the same arguments all over the place... and on the surface, it may sound like it makes sense... and this probably makes more sense in today's domain market as opposed to say, 4-5 years ago... with that said..
    ... 3d is a different thing altogether and the reason is because 3d has now opened the doors on hundreds of new niche searches and genre's. It's not as simple as throwing a 3d in front of or in back of a popular search term - it has to still make sense... but 3d is already being applied to so many industries and about to create an entire new world of search terms that you can almost argue that it's a brand new domain industry.

I have been reading, researching and studying 3d for a long time so i do know alot of what is coming and is already in the pipeline. We all know the common 3d names being tossed around ... '3d movies, 3d games, 3d dvds...etc... but this goes much further and deeper those 3 genre's.

Consider all these industries and products - and THEN - consider the parellel industries they will create with it... for example...

3d mobile... 3d cable... 3d maps... 3d computers... 3d cinema... 3d camera's... 3d printers... 3d camcorders... 3d gps... 3d photo's ... 3d education... 3d careers... 3d scanners... 3d games... 3d movies... 3d dvds... 3d animation... 3d programmers... 3d development and then ultimately .. 3d web sites, which will, IMO really kick the doors in on the whole industry.

those would be the parent categories... but what about the sub categories.. the more 'niche', streamline categories that are sure to follow... like ..
    3d camera lenses... or 3d printing... 3d business cards or 3d brochures... 3d dvd makers or 3d dvd burners... how about the sub-3d gaming categories... like 3d car games...or 3d driving simulation... or 3d flash sites... 3d home designs ... or 3d science and the medical field that is already using 3d technology in most areas... or 3d education, which many companies have already begun teaching their employees in ONLY 3d.... what about the websites on the way that will feature ALL 3d graphics and virtual worlds... XML 3d is going to be PRETTY big as well... or say you want to plan a vacation online... look for 3d vacaions where the beaches and cloud almost seem like you're right there... how nice would it be to have THAT website.. your close rate would go through the roof

... there's so much more .. I can keep listing peripheral categories like this all day .. the point is.. is that 3d is about to swing open a door that has yet to be opened or even broached... i look at this like pure, white, untouched snow in a field with so many goodies buried beneath it that most won't know about until the snow has melted.

(MAN - that was a mouthful!!) :)

you have some good ones here stevebrowne...
    i like 3dvideocamera the best, but i also like tv3d and free3dtv... (who doesn't like FREE?)

I have touched on this exact thing in a few other big forums on the web... i agree - this is nothing but good for the domaining industry and i think it will help to remind people of the power of a domain name once again, as it seems to have slipped many people's minds.

I do not see this as a waste of money - if done properly ..
    .. the bottom line here in domaining is this ..
    ... we chase search terms.... it's as simple as that ..

domaining 101 - a good domain is one that is searched a lot, yes?... while yes, these are definitely the early days of 3d and honestly, most people only know of 3d movies that they have heard of from someone - nothing more - they don't know what's coming... when they DO - bet your bottom dollar, they will be searching... just about every single 3d domain name i own has increased their search volume by 300% and up in the past three-four months.

Come January 2011 (after the holiday season) and everybody is still searching google for some kind of 3d product thaht they finally got wind of, you may have a difference in opnions... but simply put... if every 3d domain name i own is sitting with no less than 1,000 searches come next year, i can't possibly see how it becomes a loser if there is a market.

I think this differs because one - this 'pretty much' only speaks to apple people and two - is very limited in the ways it can apply... and third .. even more so than 3d .. one of the biggest games of speculation around with no real evidence of anything coming to reality ... even up until Steve Jobs announced his new tablet's name on broadcast television, no one knew... that was like an NBA draft, or Bingo .. everyone sitting arond with their iNames wiating to see what Steve-o wanted to call it - originally labeled as the Slate, if you remember)

3d however - IS a reality... these products and industries i listed ARE FACT

i don't know if i would be penalized for self promotion, but at some point, i will show you some names i have that i think will be very valuable... and they're NOT the four or five names that everyone wants to mention (3dtv...3ddvd...3d movies..etc)

WOW .. now THAT - was a post!!!
    Sorry for those i lost in my babble... i had alot to say.

Hope a handful of you enjoy this thread... it can be a lot of fun to talk about.

16. binny

binny Active Member

3Dhype.co.uk is free to reg ;)

17. expertc

expertc Well-Known Member

Wow! This is what I call THE post! ;) The thing is, many years ago films became "widescreen", then ... just films again (they are all widescreen now). Same was with TV - widescreen TV was something, but only for a short time. Then Digital TV, hmmm in couple of years it will be only digital and therefore the word will not be used... What I am saying is - the generic "TV" is always here to stay, what goes in front of it is always temporary.

Therefore some (very few) people would get quick cash on 3d and presto! Back to TV again. This is why cheapTV is better to have for a long run.

4D, huh... Many years ago I used to do superstings theory (yes-yes, theoretical physics :cool:) and we worked in... 26 dimensions ;)

18. iain123

iain123 Active Member

Adding to this i think most people cant see past 3dtv
    so here goes
    internet in 3d - this will be here eventually w3c are looking to validate and accept it ok might not be for a little while yet and tbh they dont know quite how far the technology will take them once being used here is a video for it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H66FetbJ5cI

same as html is not trademarked neither is xml3d i bought xml-3d.com a long time ago for this all that was really available as well as html-3d.com and 3d-html.com

3d medical breakthroughs- 3D printing will change prosthetics and more

The 3d machines can transform the way prosthetics are made by using 3d modellers they will be able to produce virtually any model that is fed into it which when thought about means the limit is our imagination.

3d printing is made up from digital representations of geometric forms meaning there is no more cost associated with this technique this is set to not only revolutionise prosthetics but a mass amount of different industries will benefit.

3d Ultrasound for breast cancer treatment -
    The clarity system is the first 3d application technology and was developed by Resonant Medical, an innovator of 3D ultrasound image-guided adaptive radiotherapy products.
    Together with treatment planning the system can also be used to image the lumpectomy cavity daily which is still largely uncovered in current treatment protocols.
    This will mean physicians can reduce the field of radiation they need to deliver.

i could make a post ten times longer but i guess you can see my point here 3d is much more than just a movie on a tv it is being used in things that could even save lifes imho 3d will enter everyones life at somepoint whether for enjoyment,work,health or something else so much is being developed its mindblowing

just another note nobody will want a permanent 3dtv which they can only watch in 3d every tv will always be able to switch to 3d when required so its still different from widescreen etc 3dtvs will always be called 3dtvs i cant see 3d ever being dropped out of the equation think about it the tvs will all have a setting for 3d or automatically pick up its a 3d prog and change for you but in the end it will still be a seperate thing unlike widescreen you buy a widescreen you watch in widescreen thats it tvs will the tvs will always be marketed with 3d capability

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  19. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

3d domain sales threads are springing up all over this forum :eek:
    surprise surprise :rolleyes:

20. iain123

iain123 Active Member

Well is there anything else exciting or interesting happening in the industry right now ??
    :rolleyes:

21. 3dDomainNames

3dDomainNames Member

Twenty SIX dimensions?? ... brief summary ? would love to have a CLUE (haha)

I believe the gentlemen below your post (Ian123) pretty much hit the nail right on the head... "I think Most People Can't See Past 3dTv" ... This seems to be the case with the 'naysayers', but i have a harder time trying to understand how they CAN'T see past it than not.

And while i DO understand your theory about '3d' evaporating into the norm, i still don't see that happening, and if it did - it wouldn't be for a long time ...
    and with this philosophy, it would make no sense to register ANY NEW domain names... what's the use.. just going to be irrelevant.

why bother regging 'laptop' or 'tablet' related names or smartphone names, for that matter? ... or hybrid car names.. i mean, eventually they're all going to become electrical (or better yet, FLYING CARS haha)

Nothing lasts forever, but the 'in-betweens' can still be very sustained and very profitable. :)

**And great post Ian... u even taught me a thing or two with that one!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.