20i Reseller Hosting

Are .uk.com domains really that bad?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by DomainM, May 2, 2017.

1. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

I typed 'hotels' into google
    Gave up after 5 pages
    In the meantime there were far worse keywords in .com
    So what exactly should I be searching for?
    Why would this 'domain' command a premium and where is the benefit from keywords?
    Since time immemorial people have been asking about the 'extension' uk.com and the answer is still the same - if you want to play the keyword game there are actual real extensions you can develop with the same outcome and no risk.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. RobM

*edit* ah found it page 2 for 'hotels uk'
    Considering this is the 'category killer' it shows quite how poor the uk.com is for even the strongest keyword.
    Anyway the fact remains this is a subdomain and if people are happy developing on that then, as long as they're aware, no harm done. However it's quite scary how many people actually think it's a real domain and then wonder why they can't sell them :p

4. Katch!

Katch! Active Member Full Member

For sheer SEO purposes, I've said this before and will say it again now, suffix is (mostly) IMO, irrelevant for SEO. It's content and your optimisation that can rank pretty much any suffix wherever you want it. For brand value though, I don't think uk.com would be an option for the majority. Saying that, as someone has also mentioned, I still see trucks and signs maybe once or twice a year advertising their uk.com website. If it works, it works. But in my opinion, it's not worth the reg fee, because whatever you work on can be gone overnight.

5. Siusaidh United Kingdom

Siusaidh Active Member

I just think .uk.com makes your brand look amateur and 3rd-rate. It's an ending I'd expect to very occasionally see on some person's personal blog site or something. If it works for your company, fine, but I think generally it's a bad look.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Domaintial United Kingdom

Domaintial Active Member Full Member

For free/cheap when starting out... maybe ok... to acquire, invest time/money in building a business on? I wouldn't do it.

7. BG United Kingdom

BG Well-Known Member Full Member

The only time I ever use domains of this nature is for paid search as i like the visual appeal 'at a glance' prior the click e.g. www.loans.uk.com - Those people clicking will just see the word 'loans', 'uk', '.com' and in their minds it appears credible / trustworthy so think nothing of it when clicking through... All they really care about is getting their loan approved ;)

They work nicely in this environment I feel..

8. stevelook2 United Kingdom

stevelook2 Active Member Acorn Supporter

It is bad enough explaining to people that the .uk is not .co.uk
    Add .uk.com into the mix and some folk would go into information meltdown and overload

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BG United Kingdom

BG Well-Known Member Full Member

Totally agree, haha!

• Like Like x 1
  10. RobM

A handful of extremely good terms (that are long gone), and would be good in *any* extension, are not a basis for saying that the uk.com (which isn't a tld) is any good in my opinion. It simply isn't. This is borne out by the complete lack of sales and the total disinterest in the 'extension' for the past however many years. I don't see anything that has changed that.

11. DomainM United Kingdom

DomainM Active Member

Funny to see my old thread reappearing. To confirm, I didn't register the .uk.com domain even tho at the time it must have looked attractive. TBH I can't recall what the domain was but I obviously saved wasting money on the reg.