Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Autorenew 1&1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
" how do I renew a domain?

If your domain is in on our registry, then we will automatically renew the domain on your behalf just before the registration period is about to expire.

If the domain or the package the domain is in has been cancelled from our system prior to the domain expiration date, the domain will not be renewed."

So this is the 1&1 domain renewal system!

Don't I get to choose which domains to renew?

Notice they do not tell you how to "cancel" a domain, what does that mean?

I have a system with registrars like this, when it smells bad, I loose my credit card, and get a new number.

I hear 1&1 auto renew your domains but don't charge you, but you will get a debt letter 6 months down the line from Nominet demanding payment of £94.00. (don't know if this is true).

Anyway 1&1 never charged me on renewal of a .uk, but I've since moved it over to 123-reg. :rolleyes:

I had one .net domain with 1&1, which I didn't want to renew, so I just let it expire.

A few weeks letter I got letter from their heavies, domanding the registration fee and a heavy fine.

It only took one phone call to sort it out, but beware.

I've still got a handful of domains with 1 and 1 and strongly believe they should operate the standard renewal system used by all the other leading agents such as ukreg.com i.e. giving adequate notice of renewal and sending a renew/cancel option with each domain. The current system of debiting on or after the renewal date gives little opportunity for any domain user (who is not using a diary system) of cancelling the domain.

They do operate a cancellation system and will send you a link if you phone them before renewal. I think it is also explained somewhere in the control panel if you look carefully.

I regged names with them a long time ago, they do have this very sharp system in my opinion. Interestingly I had exactly the same as described.

They auto renewed without my consent from my credit card. The card then expired which meant they couldn't bill me. It was renewed anyway at their cost and they chased me for their money. I ignored their demands, they gave up and it seems to have been renewed up to 2007 without a peep from them. I have no desire to keep the name, indeed it's registered for a now defunct limited company I used to operate so they have very little chance of chasing their debt. Still has their TAG though.

I think they use the Future Pay system from WorldPay or something similar which is excellent (from the merchant's POV) as it's incredibly difficult for your subscriber to stop their card being billed without the merchant intervening (unlikely in the case of 1 and 1) or the subscriber cancelling their card.

I must admit I didn't try for a while but I could certainly use it about a year ago. I'll give it a go if I can dig out the username and password.

I transfered all my domains from 1&1 to 123-reg (what a hassle that was) because I didn't like the fact that they renew ALL domains automatically and to let a domain expire took a lot of effort that a newbie might not know about, it's purely designed to extract as much money out of the customer as possible. The same goes when trying to transfer a sold domain to a buyer, unlike 123-reg where you can do an internal transfer or IPSTAG change instantly.

I would recommend 123-reg anyday, although they are crap at giving back refunds!

texidriver said:
So it is regged in your name, but can you use it or is it locked up?

Ok, I just tried it now and you're right they've locked me out of the account. Strangely the web and mail records for the domain remain the same. I wonder what would happen if I tried to change the IPS tag. Probably more trouble than it's worth seeing as I don't want the domain...

Eek! I have over 100 with 1and1. Just checked the contract link and you can choose to have each domain:
1. end at the end of billing period
2. end at the end of billing period +1 year
3. end asap

Not looking forward to setting each one of these 100 domains in 2 years time :rolleyes:

I do appreciate the heads up on that one though...thanks guys...otherwise i would have had a nasty shock!

I recommend enom.com I have had no problem with them.
they respond to queries too.

-aqls-

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom