Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Clara Net - unhelpful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Does Clara Net have a reputation for being unhelpful?

I recently bought a domain and the transfer was duly completed by Nominet. I then emailled Clara Net asking if they wouldn't mind authorising a Tag change from CLARANET to 123-REG. At first they wanted to receive the signed authority of the previous registrant, their customer, before agreeing to the Tag change. I explained that the previous registrant was a limited company in liquidation and that the directors had already resigned and departed the scene. No further communication was received from Clara Net but today I noticed that the domain has now been detagged...rather than retagged as I had requested.

Was I expecting too much in assuming I would to receive their cooperation in this relatively uncomplicated and not uncommon scenario or is Clara Net being just a little bit gratuitous in casting the registration off their server?
I can't imagine it would have been any more time consuming for them to have simply retagged to 123-REG as requested.

I think that if anyone buying a name off me wants it tranferring to CLARANET there might be a surcharge, or am I being * unreal * in my expectations?

Cheers.

I have the same problem with one of mine, the only way around it is to pay nominet direct which I have not done yet.

Let me know if you find a way around this, as they were asking me for customer numbers etc, they seem unable to realise that they might hold non-client names on their tag.

Take a look at transferdomains.co.uk

This is a more common problem than you might expect, basically some of these companies make it difficult for you to move away from using their services.

I had this on a domain I purchased and paid Nominet to do it directly rather than the £49 Easyspace.com wanted for such a simple task.

Let me know your eventual outcome so that so I can add it transferdomains.co.uk

wwwdomain.name said:
Admin

Exactly what I'm doing for one of my new T's in... a couple of quid extra but 'guaranteed delivery'...

I use Nominet just to avoid giving more profit to these companies who make things difficult (and expensive) in this way.

In fairness Clara wasn't attempting to squeeze money out of me below Nominet's retagging fee threshold of 15 GBP but it wasn't going to 'cost' them any more by agreeing to change the Tag over just dumping the registration off their server. It just doesn't seem to be a very constructive approach and generates bad word of mouth.

I won't be retagging the domain until I have several to do at the same time.

Why can't the transfer process include this aspect? Nominet ought to provide this service as part of a transfer where the new registrant can indicate their Tag and nameserver choices within the transfer fee cost.

Thanks for your input chaps :)

argonaut said:
Nominet ought to provide this service as part of a transfer where the new registrant can indicate their Tag and nameserver choices within the transfer fee cost.

I agree - that is a very good idea.

If you came to me and asked me to change a tag for a domain that was listed to one of our customers I would

a) require written confirmation from the contact listed.
or
b) require a fax on company headed paper

If the above are not possible, then you are on your own mate.

firestars said:
If you came to me and asked me to change a tag for a domain that was listed to one of our customers I would

a) require written confirmation from the contact listed.
or
b) require a fax on company headed paper

If the above are not possible, then you are on your own mate.

Well, as part of the transfer process the selling party has to both sign the transfer form and provide a confirmatory letter on their headed paper. I think Nominet are competent enough to be able to oversee this process to be able to spot attempts at fraud. So once the whois has changed I don't think it is then necessary for the listed contact to have to repeat a confirmation in the way you describe for a Tag change.

I repeat my idea that the transfer form should be where the seller gives signed authority agreeing to the Tag and nameserver changes specified by the buyer. It shouldn't be necessary to have to obtain duplicate signed authorisations at different stages of a purchase from the same seller. That is bureaucratic. Or do Nominet like to guard an easy GBP15?

argonaut said:
Well, as part of the transfer process the selling party has to both sign the transfer form and provide a confirmatory letter on their headed paper. I think Nominet are competent enough to be able to oversee this process to be able to spot attempts at fraud. So once the whois has changed I don't think it is then necessary for the listed contact to have to repeat a confirmation in the way you describe for a Tag change.

What Nominet do is of little interest to us.

If a customer of ours is associated with a domain, they (or staff on a technical contact list) are the only people permitted to make changes to DNS or tag transfers. If they cannot contact us nor provide us with letter headed fax signed by a director then the only way that tag is changing is through Nominet.

firestars said:
What Nominet do is of little interest to us.

If a customer of ours is associated with a domain, they (or staff on a technical contact list) are the only people permitted to make changes to DNS or tag transfers. If they cannot contact us nor provide us with letter headed fax signed by a director then the only way that tag is changing is through Nominet.

"...through Nominet (by Nominet)", which is exactly what I am suggesting with a tweak of the transfer form.

Incidently, other well established hosts have been willing to transfer tags at my request after the transfer of the registration to me without further additional confirmation from the seller, their customer. They accepted Nominet's due diligence competency when overseeing the transfer of the registration as being sufficient evidence for them to proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom