Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.co.uk better than .com

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this case I'd probably disagree, though having both tld's does help. I'd clarify that because I think in doing so it 'targets' the english speaking community i.e. the yanks.

It does help that it's a really nice well designed site.

S

I've never been entirely convinced by .co.uk for placenames, and if you'd never heard of Yorkshire or had no idea that it's in Britain, would you be visiting the site anyway?

If it was a uk business/market i would always go for the .co.uk first. No exceptions.

A site dedicated to regional news using a .com just doesn't look right to me. The .co.uk everytime for a uk site. The .com gives a very different flavour. Before we've accessed the site, the ccTLD instantly gives us an idea of what country the site is targeting; visitors find that useful. They are now covering 3 regions; perhaps they have ambitious plans to target overseas once they're done with the UK (though their path wouldn't suggest this). Heh and what better region to start their global empire than Yorkshire :)

A site dedicated to regional news using a .com just doesn't look right to me. The .co.uk everytime for a uk site. The .com gives a very different flavour. Before we've accessed the site, the ccTLD instantly gives us an idea of what country the site is targeting; visitors find that useful. They are now covering 3 regions; perhaps they have ambitious plans to target overseas once they're done with the UK (though their path wouldn't suggest this). Heh and what better region to start their global empire than Yorkshire :)

always used .com up to now and bought up the others that are available for the same name
changing the way i work now though

You have the internet in yorkshire?! I thought it was all still paper based periodicals!?

1077d1231085822-happy-birthday-melvyn-flat-cap-n-whippet2.jpg

If targetting a UK audeince, I would definitely go with the .co.uk . Perhpas though, as someone else mentioned they have aspirations to eventually appeal to those abroad, in which case I can see a case for going .com . Being that they are currently ranked number one for 'yorkshire' I don't suppose they're unhappy with the situation.

The owner of yorkshire.co.uk should consider setting up a site aimed at yorkshire too. He'll probably get more type ins now!

If it was a uk business/market i would always go for the .co.uk first. No exceptions.

Entirely agree. When I'm looking through the SERPS to buy something I automatically assume that a .com will be an 'Americanised' site with prices in dollars and so always choose a .uk over .com when there's a choice.

However, by obtaining the 'pair' (.com and .co.uk) you'll have better branding potential and you'll stop anyone else being able to undermine your position.

If it's google you're after, I've seen plenty of UK .com's out ranking same market .co.uk's...

my twopenneth...

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom