Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

deleting co uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been answered a zillion times before.

Remember that fab site whois had, deleting.

Are there any other sites that offer the full list from suspended to deletion?

Not wanting to pay £100 a month subscription or anything, just a look once or twice a month etc

If anyone knows a service, please pm, thanks.

Yep shame to see that one of Andrew's go, it got me started in this game.

Not sure anyone publishing the lists are in line with Nominet's Terms and Conditions now mate so don't think there are any free ones these days.

Ah yes, that makes sense.

Maybe someone sells excel downloads etc?

But then again, there are probably too many records??

Thanks GreyWing

How do domainlore and dropsystem generate their droplists ?

do they use their quota to scan it etc

i always wondered how that was done

but surly Nominet finds that worse for its servers than just giving everyone a drop list like the old .coms. how would you check all of them? as in surely you would need to try every domain. then once you have started you need to try again becuse it has taken you forever? how many .co.uk are there (i know there is org.uk and loads of others but just .co.uk how many is there?) the number around 15 million comes to mind but might be wrong?

Not sure on the figures but I think it's around 6 million registred .uk domains, could be wrong though.

grant

ok thats not as many as i thought. just found out that with whois2 you can have 100,000 a day so really to find out that many all you need is a few days. now really the hard question is where do you get a list in the first place of the names that are reg, then how do you keep adding the new ones that have been added (tho they wont come up for dropping 2 years later.) i just dont see nominet getting you to have to try out every possible comb of letters and numbers to find them all.

Any ideas people?

Use of Whois2 for your own scanning of domains is in violation of Nominet's terms. That's what the Domain Availability Checker is for.

Whois2 is 1000 per day, per ip address. It's meant to be used for registrars/whois lookup sites so each end user can get the 1000 lookups.

It's much easier these days to just buy droplists.

Grant

The acceptable use requirements are (for WHOIS2 gateways):

The maximum query rate is 100 queries per second with a maximum of 100,000 queries per rolling 24 hours.

well if you wanted to sell the lists then say....is that ok.....well its not becuase whois2 is for outside your own use only so, someone could use your whois2 service to search but not for themselves and gain from it. is that the right understanding? how do other people get away with selling lists?

As of late (September / October) last year there were the following numbers of domains registered with Nominet:

7,147,682 .co.uk
478,773 .org.uk
115,914 .me.uk

And there were 7,792,148 domains in total in the UK namespace (including .ltd.uk, plc.uk, BL.uk, schools sites etc).

These figures were accurate on the day I got them, as they came direct from Nominet.

Regards

Ty

...i just dont see nominet getting you to have to try out every possible comb of letters and numbers to find them all...

Why would you expect Nominet to get everyone to do that anyway? They're not here to provide lists. By all means buy a droplist, but other than that, there's no short cut I'm afraid, you'll need to do it yourself. Daunting yes, but no more than has been done by hundreds here already! ;-)

DoubleTap i guess you have done a big search? did you start at a or 0? Nominet are there to sell domains and provide a service, by providing an open list of droping domains i think that it will only increase the amount of domains reg.

DoubleTap i guess you have done a big search? did you start at a or 0? Nominet are there to sell domains and provide a service, by providing an open list of droping domains i think that it will only increase the amount of domains reg.

What is it you want to actually do?

If it's compiling a drop list - Don't bother, take Grant's advice from earlier and find someone who sells them, otherwise get a tag, DAC access, a copy of Cobol, plenty of coffee and knock yourself out :D

Last edited:

Most of the good names get snapped up anyway (and some of the not so good ones), so I think it'd be pointless nominet making a list, since the lists are already out there.

I haven't seen anyone willing to part with the whole 8m names, I'm pretty sure NO ONE has such a list as well, due to the way that new names are found, some must slip through the net.

It always makes me giggle when people say oh 6-8m look ups isn't bad, it would take you 3-4 weeks to look them up on Dac (without a delay quota). The issue that if you had the 6-8m domains you wouldn't be building the list in the first place, so instead you build a list, just getting ALL the upto 2-4 char domains in .co/me/org.uk would take 8-9 days running solid.

2 Char = 1300 x 3
3 Char = 48000 x 3
4 Char = 1800000 x 3

Building lists is far from easy, I do have better idea's but lack the time nor energy to implement them, but theres a starting idea :)

skinner do you mind sharing them? can you pm if you dont want to display in an open forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom