Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Egm 2

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by Whois-Search, Oct 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hazel Pegg

Hazel Pegg Active Member

No probs.

Easily done and it takes two to tango :)

Hazel

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Whois-Search

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

Who is coming to the EGM then to ask these questions? Ken? Jim? Angus?

You are allowed two people per Membership - so maybe someone could invite the non-members like Sneezy, Olebean, Grandin?

I would have a second ticket spare however had to give mine to the "Whois-Search chauffeur" to get there!

4. Beasty

Beasty Active Member

I am not a member - but if someone wants to invite me I'll be there like a shot. I've delayed my trip to Oz by a week...

5. sneezycheese

sneezycheese Active Member

...I don't mind comming if anyone would like me to attend as their 'guest'. ;)

Reserve me a front row seat if you can! :twisted:

Regards,

:mrgreen:

6. grandin United Kingdom

grandin Well-Known Member

no need to upset a cart that had no apples

I wouldn't be welcome

Lee

7. olebean United Kingdom

olebean Well-Known Member

y not?........

8. Crusader-K

Crusader-K Member

There may be some anxiety out there, particularly from larger and medium sized members that after the EGM2 proposals being approved, Nominet could offer gtlds (.COM .NET .ORG .EU etc).

To allay any concerns, it would be helpful if the Nominet Chairman or Managing Director made a categoric statement that even under the revised Memorandum and Articles (if approved) that Nominet will not become a registrar for gtlds in the future and that Nominet will not acquire any companies that, at the time of acquisition or subsequently, will offer gtld registrations.

Again to be helpful, the Nominet statement should avoid expressions like "we have no plans to" and "we have no intentions to" etc as these might fuel concerns that although there are no plans/intentions today, changes might occur at some time after the EGM2 proposal has been passed.

9. Hazel Pegg

Hazel Pegg Active Member

both resolutions passed

10. static

static Active Member

You wanted it; now you've got it.

11. Paullas

Paullas Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Hazel

Can you or anyone explain what has been passed at what is the impact they will have, so the new members here know what is going on :)

thanks in advance............

12. Jay Daley New Zealand

Jay Daley Active Member

The voting resolution I would hope is fairly self-explanatory. We can now poll you electronically, which we will will drastically simplify voting and thereby increase turnout.

The scope resolution means that we can now bid for UK ENUM, which we will do when the tender is released. It also means that we are theoretically able to move into new business areas, related to Internet identifiers. However any such plans would be carefully considered and consulted upon.

There are plenty of things we do not want to do. So, for example, we do not want to become a gTLD registrar, that would compete with too many of our members and would not add value to the industry.

13. Paullas

Paullas Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Jay, if anyone has a link to this also that would be great...

14. static

static Active Member

What is your definition of "add value" in this context?

15. Jay Daley New Zealand

Jay Daley Active Member

We have a particular way of doing things, that is non-profit, heavily consultative, balances the needs of the whole stakeholder community and we sell almost exclusively through our reseller channel. It is hard to see what the point would be in a gTLD registrar with these values.

16. Hazel Pegg

Hazel Pegg Active Member

Not to mention my 'on the record' promise to call for the dismissal of the Board if they attempt to stray into the area of being a Registrar rather than a Registry.

NOTE: the above refers to Registrar/Registry in the context of gTLDs and not in any other contexts that may arise in the future in other electronic numbering systems. I'll reserve judgement on whatever role Nominet should play in whatever they may be until they appear and I understand them ... which may be never :)

Hazel

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  17. Whois-Search

At 90.97% on Resolution 1 (takes 90% to pass it) I shall be contacting Popularis and asking for a recount.

This is because I still do not like the way Nominet had to call members and ask them to vote for the resolution. Who called who? How many members were called? One domainer could have changed the outcome of this vote.

If anyone had any problems in voting or felt their phone call was inappropriate then please contact Popularis.

Also at the EGM members who still had not voted were given an extra push to do so by Hazel and Clive. There was a guy next to me who filled his form in there and then.

What is the point of having a EGM debate after people have cast their vosts? Not to mention after the result Bob Gilbert tried to change the subject by saying "we have done with the scope of Nominet now".

18. olebean United Kingdom

olebean Well-Known Member

Hazel the militant are you perchance a football fan?

19. Whois-Search

The fact is yesterday the memorandum didn't allow Nominet to become a registrar for a gTLD .........from today with the new memorandum it CAN do so whether it will do it or not.

20. static

static Active Member

"If anyone had any problems in voting or felt their phone call was inappropriate then please contact Popularis"

It felt it was, and I will contact P.

21. static

static Active Member

"Not to mention my 'on the record' promise to call for the dismissal of the Board if they attempt to stray into the area of being a Registrar rather than a Registry".

...and you think that will result in the Board resigning?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.