Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Egm 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
All must be called

Whois said 'This is because I still do not like the way Nominet had to call members and ask them to vote for the resolution. Who called who? How many members were called? One domainer could have changed the outcome of this vote.'

Ask Nominet for the record of outbound calls signed by whoever made the calls....did they dial each members number?

Lee

"Not to mention my 'on the record' promise to call for the dismissal of the Board if they attempt to stray into the area of being a Registrar rather than a Registry".

...and you think that will result in the Board resigning?

Alex Bligh for example has been a non-executive board member for 10 years since 1996. I think you would find it hard asking him to resign?

Then again I did wonder why Stephen Dyer was there today :D

At 90.97% on Resolution 1 (takes 90% to pass it) I shall be contacting Popularis and asking for a recount.

That's your choice. I'm trusting that they counted correctly the first time round.

This is because I still do not like the way Nominet had to call members and ask them to vote for the resolution. Who called who? How many members were called?

What, if anything, does your dislike of the way that Nominet called members have to do with the ability of Popularis to get the figures correct?

One domainer could have changed the outcome of the vote.

From my dodgy understanding of the maths it was so close that 20 or so of the smallest members could have swung the vote. Maybe they did?

Also at the EGM members who still had not voted were given an extra push to do so by Hazel and Clive. There was a guy next to me who filled his form in there and then.

There is some bit of arcane Company law that I haven't yet stumbled across that forbids members to speak at General Meetings and to encourage those who have not yet voted to do so, and to recommend how they vote?

You may have seen how the guy next to you voted but I certainly didn't. Neither did I cast his vote for him.

What is the point of having a EGM debate after people have cast their vosts? Not to mention after the result Bob Gilbert tried to change the subject by saying "we have done with the scope of Nominet now".

As you yourself have pointed out, not everyone in the room had cast their vote prior to the debate. As for Bob Gilbert's comment - it was factually accurate. The 'scope of Nominet' has been the subject of a Governance Review, EGM1, a full consultation and EGM2. How much more 'done' can something get?

Hazel

Whois-Search: Maybe Grandin and I should have allowed our domains to be retagged onto your tag before the vote - the outcome of the vote may have been different then. ;)

Whois-Search: Maybe Grandin and I should have allowed our domains to be retagged onto your tag before the vote - the outcome of the vote may have been different then. ;)

Yes, I wish now I had transfered all my domains to my TAG instead of leaving them at 123-reg.

Time to make my own register for my Masters Project ......

The fact is yesterday the memorandum didn't allow Nominet to become a registrar for a gTLD .........from today with the new memorandum it CAN do so whether it will do it or not.

I promise you that should any present/future Board of Nominet attempt to do anything so idiotic they will live to regret it.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose" and I am free.

Also I have absolutely no reason to believe that the current Board have any such plans and can't imagine any future Board giving the idea serious consideration.

Hazel

"Not to mention my 'on the record' promise to call for the dismissal of the Board if they attempt to stray into the area of being a Registrar rather than a Registry".

...and you think that will result in the Board resigning?

On my 'say so' - No. But if I can persuade enough other members to agree with me ??????

Hazel

That's your choice. I'm trusting that they counted correctly the first time round.

Hey in America they would .......

What, if anything, does your dislike of the way that Nominet called members have to do with the ability of Popularis to get the figures correct?

I will be making a complaint on how Nominet called members and asked them
to vote for the resolution. Nominet didn't even call me.

From my dodgy understanding of the maths it was so close that 20 or so of the smallest members could have swung the vote. Maybe they did?

maybe......Nominet called 20 small members the night before and asked them to vote yes.

There is some bit of arcane Company law that I haven't yet stumbled across that forbids members to speak at General Meetings and to encourage those who have not yet voted to do so, and to recommend how they vote?

It's like the house of commons having the vote before the debate.

You may have seen how the guy next to you voted but I certainly didn't. Neither did I cast his vote for him.

Only said "hello" to him and never seen what was on his paper.

As you yourself have pointed out, not everyone in the room had cast their vote prior to the debate. As for Bob Gilbert's comment - it was factually accurate. The 'scope of Nominet' has been the subject of a Governance Review, EGM1, a full consultation and EGM2. How much more 'done' can something get?

I was looking forward to EGM3 all I have now to look forward to is 'ENUM DRS'.

I will be making a complaint on how Nominet called members and asked them to vote for the resolution. Nominet didn't even call me.

They didn't call me either. I was assuming that as I am a member of the PAB they figured that I was aware of the EGM and the resolutions that were to be voted on. They might even be forgiven for thinking that a recent candidate for the Board of Nominet would also be aware of current issues affecting Nominet?

Hazel

The World

The World is built on relationships.....we would all respect each other if we met every few weeks for a cup of tea, free lunch, free dinner.....wouldn't we?

Clearly, 10 years involved....I would be truly embarrassed....the DRS is the major thing created in the last ten years and what intelligent advising has come from the PA beeee

B's have nasty stings whether a board or a body

Alex....show some intellect and step down

Lee

They didn't call me either. I was assuming that as I am a member of the PAB they figured that I was aware of the EGM and the resolutions that were to be voted on. They might even be forgiven for thinking that a recent candidate for the Board of Nominet would also be aware of current issues affecting Nominet?

Hazel

Nominet may have knew which way us two would have voted. However why didn't they check to see if we had our voting papers? If they are supposed to be asking standard questions. Don't worry I won't be standing for the board again I'll second Angus instead as hes 'old enough' and so long as he takes that bit about £4 out :)

There may be some anxiety out there, particularly from larger and medium sized members that after the EGM2 proposals being approved, Nominet could offer gtlds (.COM .NET .ORG .EU etc).

To allay any concerns, it would be helpful if the Nominet Chairman or Managing Director made a categoric statement that even under the revised Memorandum and Articles (if approved) that Nominet will not become a registrar for gtlds in the future and that Nominet will not acquire any companies that, at the time of acquisition or subsequently, will offer gtld registrations.

Again to be helpful, the Nominet statement should avoid expressions like "we have no plans to" and "we have no intentions to" etc as these might fuel concerns that although there are no plans/intentions today, changes might occur at some time after the EGM2 proposal has been passed.

The fact is yesterday the memorandum didn't allow Nominet to become a registrar for a gTLD .........from today with the new memorandum it CAN do so whether it will do it or not.

And so it came to pass, Nostradamus' predictions came true.

At the EGM2, met the just newly recruited Nominet Key Account Manager (nice enough guy - can't remember his name). First of many ?

No mention of any new Nominet offices in New York, Toronto, Melbourne, Frankfurt...... yet

And so it came to pass, Nostradamus' predictions came true.

At the EGM2, met the just newly recruited Nominet Key Account Manager (nice enough guy - can't remember his name). First of many ?

No mention of any new Nominet offices in New York, Toronto, Melbourne, Frankfurt...... yet

Yeah I had a nice chat with him to, at least he was keen and talked to me.

I think the Wellington office is first?

There may be some anxiety out there, particularly from larger and medium sized members that after the EGM2 proposals being approved, Nominet could offer gtlds (.COM .NET .ORG .EU etc).

To allay any concerns, it would be helpful if the Nominet Chairman or Managing Director made a categoric statement that even under the revised Memorandum and Articles (if approved) that Nominet will not become a registrar for gtlds in the future and that Nominet will not acquire any companies that, at the time of acquisition or subsequently, will offer gtld registrations.

Again to be helpful, the Nominet statement should avoid expressions like "we have no plans to" and "we have no intentions to" etc as these might fuel concerns that although there are no plans/intentions today, changes might occur at some time after the EGM2 proposal has been passed.

There are plenty of things we do not want to do. So, for example, we do not want to become a gTLD registrar, that would compete with too many of our members and would not add value to the industry.

So shall we put "do not want to" in the same box as "we have no plans to" and "we have no intentions to".

Does "do not want to" (today) mean "do not want to" (next year).

Presumably when the Nominet executives and staff did their telephone ring-around this was made very clear - particularly to members who are registrars in their own right as well as resellers of registrars.

So shall we put "do not want to" in the same box as "we have no plans to" and "we have no intentions to".

Does "do not want to" (today) mean "do not want to" (next year).

Presumably when the Nominet executives and staff did their telephone ring-around this was made very clear - particularly to members who are registrars in their own right as well as resellers of registrars.

Therefore never mind in asking the board to resign if they "do it".

What happens if Lesley Cowley finds a job else where? And someone who is in to making money takes over?

Or what if the non-executives get replaced by liberal people who use the new memorandum to do things they want to do?

From additional services from Nominet webpage

(Q) What are the benefits for you of increasing the range of services available from Nominet?

(A) You would be able to offer your customers extended services, eg. UK ENUM

A number of months ago at EGM1, when I asked why members should be voting for the proposals, I was told that this was so that they could offer ENUM. Only at EGM2 did I learn that ONLY Telcos (a very small number of the membership) will be able to offer ENUM.

The Nominet Voting paperwork sent to all members stated:

We are seeking your support on two proposals:
  1. Increasing the range of services available to you from Nominet by changing the scope of Nominet in our Memorandum
  2. Enabling electronic voting........

Just what are the "other services" that will be "available to you"?

So that we know what we thought be were all voting for, if someone could provide a list of these "other services" that will be "available to us", that would be helpful.

Last edited:
VON Magazine :: July 2005 :: ENUM: A Great Idea But..., by Richard Grigonis

"Austria led with ENUM; we've had it commercially available since the end of 2004," says Stastny. "In one or two weeks, we will open up the number 780 domain, which is for ENUM only, where you can call ENUM numbers from the PSTN via a gateway."

"But ENUM is not yet a global phenomenon. Currently you can only reach numbers in Austria, Germany and a few other places; the US is lagging at least a year behind. We definitely need to have numbers in the US."

"The second problem we have with ENUM in general is that VoIP providers must supply their residential customers with a SIP URI [Session Initiation Protocol Uniform Resource Identifier] along with their VoIP account," says Stastny.

...............................As long as you can't enter a SIP URI on your business card and say 'call me', ENUM cannot be used to its fullest extent.

So Nominet is not a global leader it is trying to catch up with the likes of Austria and Japan ETJP. Even the Aussies are doing it ENUM.com.au (I like the Whois Search box on there lol).

So unless the Americans take notice of ENUM (maybe after we do it) it won't take off? Also what if Verisign won the contract in America and changed the standard?

VeriSign Provides ENUM Services for AOL Messages from VeriSign, Inc.

Also it will rely on companies like BT and NTL to do most of the "SIP" work here in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom