Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Get Your DRS Response In NOW!!

Discussion in 'Domain Name Disputes' started by Beasty, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Submitted mine and raised an issue (within 7) which has bugged me since the last consultation. Those that are familiar with the alternate.co.uk DRS will be aware that 2(c)(iii) of the policy was changed in 2004 ("In combination with other circumstances indicating that the Domain Name in dispute is an Abusive Registration, the...") was removed from the beginning of this clause. This resulted in the Respondent, who didn't reply, loosing this domain name.

2. paul

paul Well-Known Member

Just got mine in, should have given it more time, still I managed to get a few points across, although I'm not sure if they will make too much sense, far too rushed:)

3. grandin United Kingdom

grandin Well-Known Member

Nominets duty

Mr Willoughby made a very interesting comment 'The timing of rights. This could usefully be clarified. It’s amazing to me how many people do not seem to appreciate that an abusive use can occur in relation to an originally legitimate registration and in circumstances where the complainant’s rights ost date the registration of the domain name.'

Nominet, experts and Government have a duty to educate the registrant on how to act with their domain names. Mr Willoughby has acknowledged that many registrants do not understand rights....not surprising when judges, experts and attorneys seem to differ in their opinions.

Registrants are not registered with the Law society they are mere laymen.

Lee

4. aqls

aqls Well-Known Member

Interesting that there was such a variety of responses including the experts, which themselves were not the same as anyone elses.

And yet they - individually - are asked to determine the rights to others' assets.

What a stupid, stupid, system.

IMO the questions were all wrong in the survey and served to concrete the narrow choices given to a narrow mindset.

They are in danger of counting up the no's and yes's and conclude it was a success and that everything is ok within the existing boundaries when they should have been asking much bigger questions - like "Should Nominet, a registrar of domains, and selected individuals chosen by Nominet, have any authority at all to decide on the ownership or useage of a domain, or should it be left to a more independent and representative body like the courts to decide such fundamental rights?".

Questions that the self-lauding questionnaire preparers would never think to ask.

-aqls-

5. Beasty

Beasty Active Member

I agree aqls - and said so in my submission. So too - amongst others - did JAC. If he and I agree on something, it must be worth looking into further!

Might I suggest that someone puts together a single question along the lines of your own - but rather asking for an open investigation of alternative suppliers of a similar service - and then we invite people who submitted responses to the consultation to say whether they'd like that to happen now.

If somewhere approaching half of the consultation respondents says they'd like an alternative supplier(s) to be formally investigated and considered - then it would be interesting to see what Nominet said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.